Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm learning...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm learning...

...that I can keep up with traffic and never go over 3k RPMs

I'm sick and tired of only getting 15-16mpg in my DD, and I think it has something to do with my driving habbits... ever since I installed my intake I've been getting on the throttle really hard and pushing 4,500 - 5,000 RPMs before shifting on a regular basis, so I'm gunna try to stop doing that and take it easy on the truck and see what happens...

I blame it on me just being use to driving hot-rods that can get up and go; the ol Yoter just can do that, lol.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang.. you just get 15-16?! i get righ tat 21 in mine same as you rs 22re 5 speed 31x10.50s. i used to gun it alot and stuff like you do. thats probably whats doin it. just go easy on er and youll see a difference. but dang 15 mpg? that sucks
Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yoder519
dang.. you just get 15-16?! i get righ tat 21 in mine same as you rs 22re 5 speed 31x10.50s. i used to gun it alot and stuff like you do. thats probably whats doin it. just go easy on er and youll see a difference. but dang 15 mpg? that sucks
yes sir...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well if it makes you feel better, around town I shift mine at around 2000-2500, depending on my mood maybe 3500. get about 20 around town doing that.
if I'm going for mileage I shift so that my engine speed drops to around 1500 when I hit the next gear.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-26-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YEESH!! I get between 9 and 12mpg...... However YES!!! The lighter you are on the throttle the easier it is on the gas tank. Try leaving a coffee cup on top of your truck when you drive! If you can get to your destination and the cup is still there you're definately being light enough on the throttle to improve mpg. Clean air filter, properly inflated tires, and not using the a/c will also improve gas milage.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:32 PM

My 93 gets about 12mpg, my 94 5spd gets between 21-25mpg, I have the 3vze, so I never rev above 3k, it seems to me, that if you always rev these motors they pop h/g's(unless you have headers). I know that if
I get into the throttle to get up to speed, I get considerable worse mpg.

Also, the a/c will help you at highway speeds vs having your windows open. And properly/over inflated tires go a long way.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Team420
My 93 gets about 12mpg, my 94 5spd gets between 21-25mpg, I have the 3vze, so I never rev above 3k, it seems to me, that if you always rev these motors they pop h/g's(unless you have headers). I know that if
I get into the throttle to get up to speed, I get considerable worse mpg.

Also, the a/c will help you at highway speeds vs having your windows open. And properly/over inflated tires go a long way.
I usually run right at 35psi normally when it's just road driving; at the least, anywhere between 15-25psi when I hit the trails, and that hasn't happened in quite some time, but the only time that tire pressure sees the road is on the way back from the trail ( till I setup my mobile air, then it'll never happen )

I'm OCD about my air filter, lol. Any time the hood gets popped, no matter what it be for, it at least get's looked at, cleaned out, or replaced if needed.

Most of the miles I put on the truck are what I would consider highway miles; the speed limit on my way to work varies between 55 and 65, and that's a 25 minute drive. Most of the time here in Fl it's either raining and you can't have the windows down ( especially this time of the year ), or it's 250 degree ( that's with the wind-chill factored in ) and if you have your windows down you melt to your seat... But yeah, most of the time I have the windows up with the AC on since it actually works in this truck. Sometimes you just wanna drive the the windows down and the stereo blastin though, but I usually just do that around town where speeds rarely get over 45.

Here pretty soon I plan on ditching the flan-clutch and installing dual electric fans and that shound give me a little MPG boost, not the mention the tourque it'll free up... When that thing kicks in, it's worse than having the AC on because it sucks so much power from the motor to turn...

I do have a question though... Do you guys thing a bypassed AC idle-up solenoid can have adverse effects on gas mileage? Not too long ago one of the nipples on my solenoid rotten and broke off so I just looped the hose around. Yes the idle jumps now without the AC on and the brakes held, but do you think that'll mess with the fuel delivery? I wouldn't think so because it's after the AFM, therefore it's unmetered air, so the ECU doesn't know the difference if it leaks, is plugged, or is bypassed and looped like I have it. Just thought I'd throw that our there...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM

something to consider- decoupling the fan from the v-belts, and using electric fans only means that the alternator is going to be working harder to supply voltage for the fans and drawing more HP to do so. (not as much as the mechanical fan, but it will draw some). but you should see some increase in apparent power, and maybe a bit more mpg.

as for the vac leak from the ac solenoid... if the solenoid is introducing air into the manifold, the ecu will know about it- it'll cause the O2 to start reading a 'lean' condition and cause the ecu to enrich the mixture to compensate.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-26-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
something to consider- decoupling the fan from the v-belts, and using electric fans only means that the alternator is going to be working harder to supply voltage for the fans and drawing more HP to do so. (not as much as the mechanical fan, but it will draw some). but you should see some increase in apparent power, and maybe a bit more mpg.

as for the vac leak from the ac solenoid... if the solenoid is introducing air into the manifold, the ecu will know about it- it'll cause the O2 to start reading a 'lean' condition and cause the ecu to enrich the mixture to compensate.
well I'll probably be upgrading the alt around the same time anywho cause I'm already running dual batteries and it would aid in keeping them charged.

and the line on the idle-up valve is just looped around making it act like the solenoid is always activated; should I just leave it open, or just pull that little plastics covered filter off the solenoid temporiarily and stick it on the vaccum leak untill I get a new solenoid? what's gunna make it right here... now I'm confused, lol
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

no help...

well, I hate to say, but after fillup and calculations today, I still landed right at 16mpg... I dunno what's up here. I'm probably a little off on the calculations because of over-sized tires, but even so that would give me maybe 17.5 mpg if you try to factor in the extra lil bit of miles...

gears are in the near future, that should help a lot...

all I can say is at least gas prices are starting to go back down, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-29-2008 at 08:20 PM.