Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm going to buy a 4Runner and it is going to be awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to buy a 4Runner and it is going to be awesome.

So there I was, in my garage, rebuilding my RC short course truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q_FwyKtDP-g

Then I had an epiphany, this thing is cool, but I have a 32x28 detached garage with 100-amp 220 service and a good compressor, tools, and a great BSME. What am I doing spending all of my time in the corner working on a 1/10 scale model of a 4x4?

I don't know either, umm... sorry about that. I've been modifying cars since I was 16. I built a 12-second all-motor civic, I built a home-made fuel system for an 89 Mazda 2.6L 4x4, and I maintained a 1990 Range Rover for 20,000 miles, I saw 177mph on a digital speedometer, and I did stuff like this:

Then I graduated, got a real job, bought a TL and a Ridgeline, got married, made some babies, and stopped thinking about vehicles beyond transportation.

Well there goes that.

I thought back to my favorite vehicle that just wasn't what I wanted it to be, the Mazda B2600i. I wanted that thing to be a toyota so bad, but there was just NO support for it. No one does anything with them because Mazda sold like 19 or something before FORD started making them Rangers.

So I decided to build a 90s Toyota pickup.

After a few days of thinking about it, looking into it, talking to people who've off-roaded before, and running it by the wife, I've decided to build a 2nd gen 4Runner. Main reason for the switch is that this changes my personal toy into a family toy. Its going to be a loooong time before my kids are riding dirt bikes (one of them isn't exactly "born" yet).

I nearly bought this the next day for $900, but it ended up being an auto, and even the wife knows better (she drives the manual 04 TL).

So hi, my name's Mike, thanks for coming. I live in northeast Ohio.

Questions I currently have are:

-Where are non-seeeekret 'wheeling places near Northeast ohio? I have a lot of dirt bike miles in Southern Ohio, but none around here. I'll drive if I have to but I'll use the truck more if I don't have to travel.

-How much should I spend on a 2nd gen 4Runner to start with? I have a full garage with air tools, and I'm buying a 220 welder, so I don't care if I have to fix it after I buy it. I'm seeing $900-$2900 on my local CL.

-I've read all of this website's "read this first" posts / articles, and can generally agree with what I've read, but everyone has an opinion, what do YOU think I should look for, or look OUT for.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM

well if your buying a snd gen 4runner your more than likely gonna end up with the 3.0 v6, or better known as the 3.0hno, check to see if the head gasket recall has been on done it or have the head gaskets been replaces, check for your normal leaks around differentals, trans and tcase. and engine, then check the frame for rust, that is the big thing with our toyotas. rust rust rust! sheet metal rust can easily be cut off to fit bigger tires and do away with rust, but frame rust, well thats a different story. depends on what it needs id look for around the prise you mentioned. 900-2900 seems good. 2900 being the best. but for around 900 you should find something with about 200k miles, needin a good amount of work, and for 2900, the a/c better work and it better be nice, these 2nd gens arnt as popular as first gens due to the motor, id look for about 1500, mid pricer, and try and get as best shape as possible, any toyota is worth fixing but is it worth it too you? as far wheeling spots go i cant help you there
Old 01-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpbowyer

Then I graduated, got a real job, bought a TL and a Ridgeline, got married, made some babies, and stopped thinking about vehicles beyond transportation.

So I decided to build a 90s Toyota pickup.

After a few days of thinking about it, looking into it, talking to people who've off-roaded before, and running it by the wife, I've decided to build a 2nd gen 4Runner. Main reason for the switch is that this changes my personal toy into a family toy. Its going to be a loooong time before my kids are riding dirt bikes (one of them isn't exactly "born" yet).
WELCOME TO YOTATECH, GOOD SIR!

That Toyota pickup is an 84-88 model, btw. Also, I'm glad you are switching over from the darkside and I'm glad you bought that 4runner! You'll find that it is a definite upgrade from the TL or the Ridgeline (my two most hated vehicles). It looks to be in fairly decent shape. Just swap an R151 5 speed in it and you'll be good to go!

I agree! It will be awesome!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM

That's one of the better first posts I've seen, welcome to YT!

At this point, I'd say that almost nothing with 3.0 V6 is worth more than $2500 tops. Any reason why you MUST have a 2nd gen? Most prefer the 1st gen: the top comes off, and it's easier to find with the legendary 22RE 4-cylinder. Just wondering, I suppose if you plan to swap the motor it doesn't matter.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Hey bud,
I would personally go for a 3rd gen runner for the family.... they are safer, more powerful, more reliable, etc. etc. and more easily upgradeable. You just have SO many more options with them.
The engines are better, wiring harnesses (much) better (someone that has dealt with both) looks are better, they are quieter, suspension is nicer / easier to upgrade (TONNES of options) motor will run forever, lots of performance upgrades if you so choose, etc. etc. etc.
Up here a 3rd gen can be picked up for $3k - 5k in good condition. (with super low miles, 5k - 8k).... i love mine, it has 350,000km on it (217,000miles) and i would drive it across the country today if i needed to. I have an 89' and a 99', and the 99' is superior in every way (except for looks, LOL... that's why i'm swapping as many 3rd gen parts onto my 1st gen as possible).

Manual for sure! An auto would be easier for wheeling tho....

Also, you can get an e-locker in them stock.... cant do that with a 1st/2nd gen... that's $800 right there when (not if, lol) you want to add one in.

Greg
Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome.

The most I have paid up front for a 4runner was $400. The least was $50.

The 3.0 is less powerful than the newer 3.4L. However, I have the 3.0L, and it's not terrible.

Check out my build thread, I love my runner. I'm around for questioning.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Welcome to YT bud. Like 93Xtra Cab said, it you buy one with a auto just swap in a manual.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
That's one of the better first posts I've seen, welcome to YT!

At this point, I'd say that almost nothing with 3.0 V6 is worth more than $2500 tops. Any reason why you MUST have a 2nd gen? Most prefer the 1st gen: the top comes off, and it's easier to find with the legendary 22RE 4-cylinder. Just wondering, I suppose if you plan to swap the motor it doesn't matter.
Thanks for all of the welcomes.

My only "musts" are that I can't spend more than about $1200 to get this thing going. I'm going to be selling some toys to fund it, and I'm not willing to part with ALL of by bikes (bicycles). I "LIKE" sealed beam headlights and the hope for air conditioning, but I guess I'll start looking at first gens too.

Oh, I love the TL and the Ridgeline. I'm keeping them.

I guess at this point I need to start liquidating and building capital. I'll start looking out for a 2.4 2nd gen passively.

My next question is, how many people wheel with automatics? I thought it was more of a manual only sport. I'm lucky to have converted my wife to the "cars you can see over must have a manual trans" club. I'm good with autos in trucks or SUVs, but I guess im thinking of a wheeler as more of a sport vehicle, which just seemed "manual territory only" for me.

If I'm looking for a unicorn with the 2.4 second gen, I might as well not look past 2/3 of them (autos, or whatever the ratio is). And if a trans swap isn't a big deal, then it isn't a big deal. I have the tools, and I don't care if it's down for a while.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by mpbowyer
My next question is, how many people wheel with automatics? I thought it was more of a manual only sport. I'm lucky to have converted my wife to the "cars you can see over must have a manual trans" club. I'm good with autos in trucks or SUVs, but I guess im thinking of a wheeler as more of a sport vehicle, which just seemed "manual territory only" for me.

If I'm looking for a unicorn with the 2.4 second gen, I might as well not look past 2/3 of them (autos, or whatever the ratio is). And if a trans swap isn't a big deal, then it isn't a big deal. I have the tools, and I don't care if it's down for a while.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...k-22re-207315/

For what it's worth, I have no plans to swap my auto, but I don't wheel and only plan on overlanding in the future.

A 22RE 2nd gen isn't exactly a unicorn, they can be found, but not easily, especially for less than $1200. The seller will have to be unaware of what he has.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Auto vs. manual, the ongoing saga...

Honestly I've wheeled both, from flat midwest mud fields to the mountains here in Cali and my opinion is go with what you enjoy the most. There are times when I'm in an auto and think "damn I wish I had a manual right now." then other times I'm thinking "Damn wish I had an auto right about now." I don't think that one is vastly superior to the other.

On my '92 with the 3.0 I am really glad I have the manual though. With the anemic horsepower, it's super helpful to be able to hold that baby in the gear of my choice.

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
You could always get an auto and then set up paddle shifters! Best of both (minus the extra power from the manual)

This thread is awesome.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to YT! Great intro. The 2nd gen is my favorite too, wouldn't have a 3rd gen. I know many will disagree but I like the 3.0 v6 and I like the automatic tranny. I just sold my 92 for $3200 in pretty good shape, which is the high end. I just bought a 95 with bad motor for $600. I would shoot for $500 not running, and $2500 running.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hehe. Sounds like my house, I have a pretty well built 1st gen runner and my lady drives a TL (2004 also I believe).