86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm betting nobody's heard of this one

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm betting nobody's heard of this one

So I bought this '92 Pickup 3VZE 5spd, and the guy had it changed so that it will only start by using the Clutch Start Cancel....you can't use the clutch anymore to start.

He did it for theft prevention, figuring nobody would figure it out if they were trying to jump in and take off....which is a good idea, but it is kind of annoying.

Other than that the problem with this is that it seems to me that when you turn the ignition to ON for a second, in order to press the Clutch Start Cancel button, then turn to START, it doesn't start as easy as it should when it's hot.

When it's cold it fires right up, but when it's hot it cranks a lot to get started, and I am kind of thinking that by turning the key to ON in order to press the Clutch Start Cancel, that maybe the cold start injector is running for a second and causing a slight flooding condition.

So first off, does this sound right...or am I way off.

Secondly.....how can I hook it back up to where I can just push the clutch pedal in to start it? I have no idea what the guy had done to disconnect it, but I'm assuming the switch on the clutch pedal is just unplugged or the wire was cut right?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First, I'd check that he didn't just simply disconnect the wire(s) from the clutch switch.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Also, the cold start injector should only be triggered while cranking so if it's injecting even when the engine's warm, it may be a defective cold start time switch.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Also, the cold start injector should only be triggered while cranking so if it's injecting even when the engine's warm, it may be a defective cold start time switch.
I was going to add that, but you beat me to it, lol

btw rookie, I know you're aware of the "edit" button

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-03-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I was going to add that, but you beat me to it, lol

btw rookie, I know you're aware of the "edit" button

anyhow, you could've said- disconnect the electrical plug from the cold start injector and see if it starts more easily when warm
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the wire(s) on the clutch switch...I will be checking that over the weekend.

Ok, I didn't know the cold start injector was only triggered on cranking. I don't smell any fuel or anything, it was just a guess, but it does seem to crank a bit when hot.

I will try and hook up the clutch again and see if makes any difference on hot starts, probably won't.

Also this clutch needs to be pressed hard to the floor in order to switch gears smoothly, I have to really cram it down there. Is that the way these clutches are or is there some issue with this one? It grabs fine, doesn't slip, but just seems like I shouldn't have to mash it that hard to the floor to shift.

I've never owned one of these in Manual before, so it could be normal and I may just need to get used to it, I guess.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 PM

the clutch pedal may need adjusting- find the FSM for your vehicle and check the pedal adjustments
Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commonly an option as a kill switch; Might be able to easily reverse it if they just unplugged the switch to the clutch pedal. Take a look and see if anything is not connected down there.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-switch-73439/
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum....php?p=1394099
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...-switch-52935/
Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcpeck
the guy had it changed so that it will only start by using the Clutch Start Cancel....you can't use the clutch anymore to start.
That must be so annoying.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveyCapri
That must be so annoying.
Honestly, I almost always use the CSC switch to start my 4runner because 85% of the time the @#$! floormat slides up under the pedal, keeping the pedal from going down far enough to trigger the switch so its become a habit to get in, jiggle the shifter to neutral, turn the key on, hit the CSC switch and crank the engine.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Honestly, I almost always use the CSC switch to start my 4runner because 85% of the time the @#$! floormat slides up under the pedal, keeping the pedal from going down far enough to trigger the switch so its become a habit to get in, jiggle the shifter to neutral, turn the key on, hit the CSC switch and crank the engine.
wow, that sounds rather safe
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 PM

not sure what you mean.
the clutch goes down far enough to let me change gears, just not far enough to trigger the switch. I move the floor mat and everything's fine... well except for when it slides up under the accelerator and then I can't go faster than 40.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

not sure what you mean.
the clutch goes down far enough to let me change gears, just not far enough to trigger the switch. I move the floor mat and everything's fine... well except for when it slides up under the accelerator and then I can't go faster than 40.
well considering the BRAKE pedal is between the clutch and accelerator pedal, I would only assume it might interfear with that too

either way, I say it's time for new and better floos mats, lol
Old 04-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well considering the BRAKE pedal is between the clutch and accelerator pedal, I would only assume it might interfear with that too

either way, I say it's time for new and better floos mats, lol
well my brakes grab quite well at about 1/4 pedal so the pedal never gets near the floor.

but yeah, maybe you're right. I need to check in to better floos mats.

Last edited by abecedarian; 04-03-2009 at 10:12 PM.