Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ignition Timing

Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Timing

I have smog coming up in March and recently have been preparing for it. One thing I noticed since I built my 22re is that when setting the ignition timing that my distributor has always been damn near all the way retarded. I can retard the engine to roughly 4.5 degrees minimum.

Today I figured I'd check and see if I screwed up and was off a tooth. I pulled the harmonic damper and verified it has not spun. I then retarded the cam one tooth. I spun it by hand to make sure the valves wouldn't meet pistons. It was fine. But Before I took the cam bolt off I checked and double checked everything online here on yotatech and off Rodgers site. It looked close. So I grabbed a small dowel I had and pulled number one spark plug and verified again that I was at TDC. My cam marks were a little more right and vertical, but so little compared to what I'm seeing on other sites and online here and from what I'm use to.

My set up is an engnbldr head, 261 cam and os ss valves. I'm starting to wonder if the cam gear or crank gear are off. The pin/key way's clocking to the gear clocking. Or if the cam timing is a bit off. I can now time my engine a bit better, being that I'm not quite center but I'm not on the extreme as before hand. The distributor is installed correctly. So far it idles MUCH smoother, but still has a little miss once in a while when the RPM's are raised.

Anyone hear of any problems associated with ignition timing? Possible its my distributor or drive gear? What else if any could I be forgetting. I'm a bit frustrated and calling done for the day.

Thanks guys.