Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ignition is sticking....keyless option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignition is sticking....keyless option?

Well, took me about 15 minutes this morning to get my ignition to free up. Drove to work, put my time in, came out and had to jiggle it a few times. Drove home, later went to go get dinner. After a few minutes of jiggling, turning the steering wheel left to right and even squirting some graphite spray in, we ended up taking the gf's car.

I looked around online and saw on 4x4wire where they replaced the ignition switch that all it appears to take is removing the key guard-

Remove the lower dash panel-

Remove the column bolts-

Then lowering the column-

After that, removal of the ignition cylinder or what ever its called appears to be a simple unbolt, remove, insert, bolt, right????

Besides going that route, is it at all possible to wire up a simple key-less system to the ignition switch that plugs into the back of the cylinder? Possibly a couple of toggles to turn it to the Accessory position, On position and then Start, not requiring the use of a key?? Or would it be a pretty involved project?

I think it would be pretty cool to be able to do that, incorporating a kill switch into the system, but if its also just that easy to replace the cylinder, I would opt for that for the time being as well.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would warn anyone replying to this thread that the information provided may be used to steal our trucks. Post carefully.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You could probably figure out some way to do it, but if you remove the ignition switch you will also disable the steering wheel lock, not that they do much good with enough leverage anyway. Same if you always leave the switch in the "on" position. I'd never want my truck to be that easy to steal, but that's the nice thing about owning your own rig. Do with it as you please
Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
I would warn anyone replying to this thread that the information provided may be used to steal our trucks. Post carefully.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
Not that any of that info isn't already on the web?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nv4runner
You could probably figure out some way to do it, but if you remove the ignition switch you will also disable the steering wheel lock, not that they do much good with enough leverage anyway. Same if you always leave the switch in the "on" position. I'd never want my truck to be that easy to steal, but that's the nice thing about owning your own rig. Do with it as you please
From what I could tell, the ignition switch connect to the back of the tumbler cylinder, no?

My thoght was not removing the switch but the tumbler, running toggle switches to the switch. I have no clue if that would work but it was a thought.

As far as leaving it on the "on" position, I never mentioned doing that, but to be able to run a stereo without starting the truck, you'd need to be able to have power.

I wouldn't consider or insert a system like this without installing some sort of kill switch somewhere within, if not two, but the idea of this thread was to get a rough idea of how one would go about it from a purely curiosity stand point

Last edited by EWAYota; 08-19-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer is yes. Its easy, a look at the wiring diagram in haynes, the FSM, or just about anywhere on the internet will show you how to do it. Its basic hot wiring, you connect the hot wire to power and the truck is on. You tap hot to starter to turn over your starter. You need one toggle switch and a push button.

I was bored one afternoon so I use an RFID key and a push button to start my truck. Just like the high end luxury cars. I can even leave the key in my wallet.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

For time purposes and me not knowing wiring at all, I'm going to go pick up a replacement ignition cylinder/key from the autoparts store later this morning. Currently my steering wheel is locked. Will I need to have the wheel unlocked when changing the cylinder or will that not be an issue? Its been quite a few years since I've played around with the steering column, so any tips regarding that would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The last ignition cylinder I replaced was in a 90's Ford and the key had to be in the "on" position to get the locating pin to line up with a hole so it could be depressed. I'm not sure if Toyota is the same, but I"m sure the FSM link or any repair manual will be able to tell for sure.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM

i did mine and it does need the key in and 'on' and there is a little pin and a lever lookin thing and you push them down with the key turned and pull
i swapped my ignition in less than 10 min
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM

if im wrong.. disregard. cause my ignition is in my column i just noticed yours isnt
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

So, "on" position needed.....maybe. Ok, I'll have to dig a bit more through the fsm's online to see if I can figure out how to unlock the steering wheel manually without having the key in, then maybe I can get it into the "on" position with the key. Looked earlier but wasn't able to find anything related to it except wiring. Probably looked in the wrong section.

Yeah, not my photos, but similar. I got those photos from 4x4wire where they were showing how to replace the ignition switch. Gave me an idea of how easy it would be to replace the ignition cylinder though.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:50 PM

For the love of all locks everywhere... Do NOT use graphite!!!!!! EVER!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRaven
For the love of all locks everywhere... Do NOT use graphite!!!!!! EVER!
why not?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM

I dont know if yours is different,but mine i just unplugged the wires that where just post the ignition...seems like if you where going to replace it you would get the wiring harness too? Corect me if i'm wrong but that seems like it would be the easiest....and most time effective.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
Not that any of that info isn't already on the web?
I'm saying, don't post up detailed instructions on effectively hotwiring the car. While the information is surely out there, lets not post a picture by picture how-to guide.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
why not?

Because its a terrible lubricant for locks. MIGHT be good for SOME things, but locks aren't one of them
Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRaven
Because its a terrible lubricant for locks. MIGHT be good for SOME things, but locks aren't one of them
what do you recommend?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 PM

I use either Super Lube or Liquid Wrench. Both seem to do a great job at keep corrosion and moisture away and everything working smooth.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, parked the truck late Monday night, haven't been able to get the key to turn the ignition at all, steering wheel obviously still locked. Am I forced to play the tough it out and keep trying game to get this loose to change the cylinder or is there any other ideas of how to get this accomplished without the use of a locksmith to assist? I've tried moving the wheel left to right while attempting to turn the key, doesn't really want to move left, I can get about a inch to the right in movement. Wheels are pointed straight, no curb on either side.

Quick Reply: Ignition is sticking....keyless option?