86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS Swaybar... good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IFS Swaybar... good or bad?

i have searched, and i think i must be blind, or its not here. im simply looking for a yes or no answer. is it better to take off the IFS swaybar? i dont have a swaybar in the back(for some reason unbeknoweth to me), so to even it out im thinking of taking off the front sway bar. doesnt look to hard to bolt back on. and one more thing, i promise. what kind of performance would i see on the highway? yay or nay?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC there arent swaybars on the rear of pickups...i know i dont have one in the rear. my front IFS one has been disconnected for longer than i've owned the truck. sure i lean in turns but i dont pretend im driving a racecar, i slow down to turn and drive logically. on the highway i dont notice any difference. offroad i can probably flex a little more, so in my opinion, as long as you dont do any sudden moves, no, you dont need it
Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it makes enough difference to bother taking it off.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:00 PM

so as long as i dont pull a smokey and the bandit im good huh... ok sick ty
Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would throw it out, mine is bent to crap, only reason I can't get it off is because I dont have air tools (bolts are effed pretty good)

besides when turning you get the pimp lean
Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 PM

I removed mine, and theres not much difference on road and off road I say it does help flex a little more.
Theres a pic without sway bar
Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Leaf spring trucks and 4runners do not have sway bars in the rear, SA trucks with leaf springs front and rear have no swaybars. Leaf springs make them unnecessary.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 AM

i've had no sway bar for about 2 years now, granted you lose street performace but your building a wheeler not a civic
Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 AM

You can take it off, you'll have a bit more body roll. Just don't drive your rig like a race car into corners
Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

I found I had more flex without it. Like everyone else, a little more body roll, but I'm so used to it anymore, I don't even notice it.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 AM

I know you asked for a yes/no answer which I'm sorta not going to give you.

First read this and form your own opinion about the info there.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...-stupid-63364/

Then you get my opinion down lower in this post.

I come down in the "leave the swaybar on/connected" side of the arguement. My opinion is that yes disconnecting/removing increases droop, BUT its not useful travel, as the stuffed wheel is the only one that can do any work. What is the difference if the wheel spins 2-3 inches off the ground or spins just barely touching the ground? It's still just spinning.(this is assuming no front locker) So, if one gains no real performance benefit, why bother. You might as well have the on road advantages of the swaybar during daily driving. Many have said they notice "no real difference" or "a slight bit more roll" with no swaybar and that it's "not a racecar". Thats fine, but I wonder if any of these folks have had to make an emergency maneuver at highway speed? I drove with mine off for a while and I agree that for general driving you don't notice that much difference, BUT I never had to make any sudden moves.

My opinion is that if you are considering disco's, save that money toward armor or lockers that will actually provide you with a performance benefit. If you have a swaybar that is in working order, leave it. If you have a broken swaybar, I leave you to your own decision about safety vs cost. I would personally replace something cheap like bushings, something like the actual bar bent or broken, I'm not sure what I would do.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 AM

ok so looks like its better to keep it on... i cant believe i didnt find that page. from the sounds of it, IFS works better WITH the swaybar on... hmmmm.... thanks guys you just saved me a lot of time
Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course on-road its better with it on and off-road its better off. I use these quick disconnects:

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...dd99e8fa590cd3

For you guys that run without one all the time on the road, I hope you never have to do any emergency maneuvers to avoid an accident or something.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-07-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 AM

no swaybars offroad is mainly for rock crawling, isnt it?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Of course on-road it better with it on and off-road its better off. I use these quick disconnects:

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...dd99e8fa590cd3

For you guys that run without one all the time on the road, I hope you never have to do any emergency maneuvers to avoid an accident or something.
See to me those disco's are $125 you could apply towards a locker, sliders, skids, BL, drivetrain lift, regear, SA, or what have you. Some sort of mod with a benefit. But this is one of those topics with divergent views much like body lifts. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. Again, I would just urge folks to read the thread I linked above, and form their own opinion on the subject.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 AM

yeah, i dont do any rock crawlin, ima wait to do that until i go sas. i just do some trails. it seems to handle good with the new shocks. plus i dont want to destroy my IFS, i cant afford expensive IFS parts right now, or even a sas right now. .
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
no swaybars offroad is mainly for rock crawling, isnt it?
Well any terrain that is uneven and bumpy, with the possible exception of high-speed offroad like desert racing or maybe off-camber high angle stuff or something.

How much benefit you get from disconnecting or keeping your sway bar will partly depend on how soft or stiff your t-bars are. Stiff t-bar adjustment will make up for no sway bar.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-07-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ozzi,

I have some discos for your model truck for sale for 40 bucks. They work great.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...s-40-a-126488/
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Leaf spring trucks and 4runners do not have sway bars in the rear, SA trucks with leaf springs front and rear have no swaybars. Leaf springs make them unnecessary.
I have leaf springs, I need swaybars. Long leafs, over axle, provide very little sway resistance.

Soft coils in the front have the same effect. I'm getting swaybars with disconnects installed as we speak.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM

I have a daily driven '93 extra-cab 4x4, I tried running with no sway bar after my original mount that was rusted broke.
I usually run 2 times a month off-road so it wasn't at all worth it, it really didn't seem to flex all that much more and it was pretty squirrelly on the street.
I run a stock height, mostly stock suspension (Bilsteins added) and everything is nice and tight, not worn out (only 75,000mi), I replaced the mounts and put the bar back on.
I would never do that again with IFS, it sucked.

Quick Reply: IFS Swaybar... good or bad?