Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

IFS Suspension and questions

Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS Suspension and questions

I have a 88 22re 4runner and i'm new to the 4runners, as well as ifs. This truck is my daily driver and will be until i get back on my feet. I work at a machine shop were we scrap alot of different metal, so with that being said i get my material really cheap. The previous owner has the torsion bars cranked all the way up.

Reasons for me not going sas is because i have a debt from college (graduated 2 years ago), and dont have much of the time to do it. So please don't say to sas it because that will come later on. I want a smoother ride, more travel and ground clearance. I was told to stay away from body lifts.

I want to do some 2 1/2" Ball joint spacers, and a diff drop. I'm unsure if a ball joint spacer is for travel only or if it will give my truck a lift at all.

Questions i have,
1. Does ball joint spacers give you a lift?
2. Does anyone have the measurements/link to help me make my own ball joint spacers?
3. how much of a diff drop should i do?/need to do? (if you know)
4. How do i make my own diff drop bracket?
5. Is there any other way(s) to achieve what i am looking to do without replacing major components?

Thank you in Advance!
Dan
Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanSocal619
I have a 88 22re 4runner and i'm new to the 4runners, as well as ifs. This truck is my daily driver and will be until i get back on my feet. I work at a machine shop were we scrap alot of different metal, so with that being said i get my material really cheap. The previous owner has the torsion bars cranked all the way up. Reasons for me not going sas is because i have a debt from college (graduated 2 years ago), and dont have much of the time to do it. So please don't say to sas it because that will come later on. I want a smoother ride, more travel and ground clearance. I was told to stay away from body lifts. I want to do some 2 1/2" Ball joint spacers, and a diff drop. I'm unsure if a ball joint spacer is for travel only or if it will give my truck a lift at all. Questions i have, 1. Does ball joint spacers give you a lift? 2. Does anyone have the measurements/link to help me make my own ball joint spacers? 3. how much of a diff drop should i do?/need to do? (if you know) 4. How do i make my own diff drop bracket? 5. Is there any other way(s) to achieve what i am looking to do without replacing major components? Thank you in Advance! Dan
1. Yes
2. I'll try to find it it's around somewhere
3. You can go as low as you want but you'll lose ground clearence most kits are an inch drop
4. The kits you buy are basically a round piece of metal with a hole drilled through it
Old 05-29-2014, 09:04 PM

I can't find the measurements but if you look on top of your control arm you'll see the 4 bolts that hold the upper ball joint in place that's the shape you need just trace it on a piece of cardboard
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 PM

Cool thanks,
What about a diff drop? what kind of set up is dropping it?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Just unbolt the two bolts that hold it up and put a spacer between it with longer bolts they would be simple to make
Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 AM

What size tire do you plan to run and what do you plan to do with the truck...occasional offroad, playing in the rocks, etc? Because if you're just going after the look, you can fit up to a 33" tire by keeping it stock or going with a mild body lift of 1" and keep the IFS stock where it works the best.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There is a great thread in the Fab Section that will answer alot of your questions
Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 PM

IM new to forums do you have the link by chance?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
There is a great thread in the Fab Section that will answer alot of your questions
link maybe?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
What size tire do you plan to run and what do you plan to do with the truck...occasional offroad, playing in the rocks, etc? Because if you're just going after the look, you can fit up to a 33" tire by keeping it stock or going with a mild body lift of 1" and keep the IFS stock where it works the best.
im going to stay with my 31's but once there gone i want some 33's but my brothers went off roading and have the same truck i do and bottomed out on some rocks and i want to try to prevent that, because its my daily and i have no other vehicle and i want to be able to do more then they can do without using a lot of money./
Old 05-31-2014, 06:21 PM

Check out this thread that I posted in about Cheapest way to do a small lift to my 94 4runner." I posted links about how to fit 33's with minimal lift.

And to get to the Fab section, go here ,the forum index page. Then go to here, the Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps section to find the Fab shop here. You have to explore the different sections of the forums here...

And check out this link about modification info...good thre

About this: "bottomed out on some rocks and i want to try to prevent that," you need to invest in some "under armor" such as rock sliders, a belly pan, front skid plate, etc so you slide over the rocks instead of getting hung up. Check out here for some good stuff...future buys for yours truly at one point...

Last edited by daved5150; 05-31-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DanSocal619
im going to stay with my 31's but once there gone i want some 33's but my brothers went off roading and have the same truck i do and bottomed out on some rocks and i want to try to prevent that, because its my daily and i have no other vehicle and i want to be able to do more then they can do without using a lot of money./
I run 31s on my daily driven '89 Runner (V6 & 5-speed). No lift, no gearing changes.

I can climb and wheel everywhere my buddies can with their better equipped trucks; I now have a rear locker installed. Nothing wrong with running 31s.

That said, I do want to eventually run 33s, but do not want a lift, and so I'm planning on doing it with my stock suspension. It can be done, but I've heard some hammering is required. I'm gonna make it work.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

My computer skills are so poor I have no idea what a link is or even how to post one if I did know what it was.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
Check out this thread that I posted in about Cheapest way to do a small lift to my 94 4runner." I posted links about how to fit 33's with minimal lift.

And to get to the Fab section, go here ,the forum index page. Then go to here, the Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps section to find the Fab shop here. You have to explore the different sections of the forums here...

And check out this link about modification info...good thre

About this: "bottomed out on some rocks and i want to try to prevent that," you need to invest in some "under armor" such as rock sliders, a belly pan, front skid plate, etc so you slide over the rocks instead of getting hung up. Check out here for some good stuff...future buys for yours truly at one point...
thank you very very much man
Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
My computer skills are so poor I have no idea what a link is or even how to post one if I did know what it was.
No, not sausage links, I'm talking about the patties....ha. A link is nothing more than a link to a different page, website, etc. That button in the middle of the 2nd row of keys is the "insert link" button (the pic of the earth with the thing on the bottom). That is used to insert the "link" when you copy and then paste the address of the link to the word you assign it to.

I'm at work, Wyoming...I'll edit this later and see if I can help you...unless you're joking.

No problem, Dan...always want to help out.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 PM

I did the IFS lift for my 93 on a shoestring budget.

A good instructional video can be found for everything 1st Gen 4Runner related on youtube. The member to search is TheAlexManVideos. He covers his 87 4Runner mods very nicely.

BJ spacers are about $80 a pair from 4Crawler's website. They require minimal upper control arm modification to install and all new lengthened hardware is included.

The diff drop kit from 4Crawler was about $30 if I recall. Tricky to get everything lined up but if you are lucky, they slide in over an unbolted diff supported by a jack stand.

Note: the diff drop makes changing CV shafts nearly IMPOSSIBLE without dropping the diff back out completely.

Lastly, you may wish to remove your sway bar. It will allow more offroad IFS travel and has little effect on road handling IMHO.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SLAYfriknBODIES

A good instructional video can be found for everything 1st Gen 4Runner related on youtube. The member to search is TheAlexManVideos. He covers his 87 4Runner mods very nicely.

BJ spacers are about $80 a pair from 4Crawler's website. They require minimal upper control arm modification to install and all new lengthened hardware is included.

The diff drop kit from 4Crawler was about $30 if I recall. Tricky to get everything lined up but if you are lucky, they slide in over an unbolted diff supported by a jack stand.

Note: the diff drop makes changing CV shafts nearly IMPOSSIBLE without dropping the diff back out completely.

Lastly, you may wish to remove your sway bar. It will allow more offroad IFS travel and has little effect on road handling IMHO.
I love forums, Thank you!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you remove the stud bolts for the cv axles and grind off the knurl then use blue locktite to put them back on you don't have to work so hard on the cv joints. I did this and highly recommend it use a nut and a hammer and they come right out.

Totally agree in the front sway bar. Doesn't really do much.

Last edited by Yotard; 06-02-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by SLAYfriknBODIES

I have been watching all his videos since you told me! so helpful
Old 06-03-2014, 03:59 AM

"BJ spacers are about $80 a pair from 4Crawler's website. They require minimal upper control arm modification to install and all new lengthened hardware is included."

Check out these spacers from Krypton Fabrications...no cutting of upper control arms necessary. Bolt on installation. They are pretty sweet. I forgot where I found their site at...

Last edited by daved5150; 06-03-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: add to post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IFS Suspension and questions