Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

IFS front diff output passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS front diff output passenger side

So the output bearing? (See parts 2,3, and 4 on image attached) On my front diff is toast I'm pretty sure. On the passenger side the part that connects the CV to the differential.

It makes all kinds of noise when coasting in 4x4. Don't notice it while in gear a whole lot but still doesn't sound good lol. And leaking gear for there as well. O can grab the output shaft and wiggle it around about a half in all the way around lol so it's for sure toast.

I need to have 4x4 to make it through the winter here in Idaho. I have a solid axle built ready to go along with all the parts but don't have enough time to do the swap along with it being risky since this is my only 4x4 rig..

so my my question is, am I able to replace just that bearing? i can't find another 4.30 ifs diff in my area and really don't want to spend the money on one seeing as after winter I'll be swapping my solid axle in. Yes I know I can get one for fairly cheap but again, can't find one..

So am I able to replace just that bearing and seal? And if so, where can I get them?
Old 01-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
Replacing the seal is easy enough, but the diff must be disassembled to change that bearing. It is one of the 2 differential carrier bearings.

It's not likely though that it is whats making the output flange sloppy, but the slop is more likely coming from where the output flange rides in the diff carrier itself.

Do you have ADD, or manual hub plain setup??

If you're lucky, the noise is in the half-shaft, and you could get by the winter with just a seal and another half-shaft.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Manual locking hubs. And thank you l, I will look into replacing the half shaft and seal. Why do you think a new half shaft would help? Sorry trying to understand I've never had the front diff apart before.

"but the slop is more likely coming from where the output flange rides in the diff carrier itself." So what're you saying the issue is? I'll see if I can get a video, there's no way the slop is anywhere near normal.

Last edited by Shagool22; 01-15-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 01-15-2017, 02:00 PM

Video

here's a video I just took

Last edited by Shagool22; 01-15-2017 at 02:01 PM.