86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ifs Better Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ifs Better Flex?

I Need Advise For Better Flex For Ifs I Know Theres Not Much U Can Do But Ive Got A 4" Pro Comp Lift. Removing The Swaybar Not A Good Idea Or What Im Rollin 33" 12.5 Discover Coopers
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM

bracket lifts don't give you better flex really...they just raise you up.

If you want better flex you need longer a-arms like the total chaos kit.

Searching works too tons of threads on this already.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 AM

Removing sway bar will help some, but not recommended for road use.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you can run your rig without a swaybar on the road with absolutely no problems. i have been doing it for almost 2 years and anyone on this board that has done it will agree with me.

remove it and forget about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM

and that gives better flex then when its on right i would imagine it would thanks man really helpful
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
better flex WITHOUT the sway bar back when i had my 86 i always ran it with no sway bar i just threw the thing away the truck did great on road and stuff

Last edited by algranger; 09-25-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM

oh and as far as adding flex to your ifs.. your better off gettin a sfa under there or a new truck. but, if you want your ifs you could go with a total chaos lift which has new, longer a arms. i think ball joint spacers will give you a little wont they? imo bracket lifts suck they would be about my last choice. if you have a pro comp kit you could get a lot more flex outta the rear with some nice springs like ones from marlincrawler.com, allprooffroad.com, or you could put some 63" chevy pickup rear springs from the early 90's under there double or single shackle setup ive heard the double is unbelievable
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
you can run your rig without a swaybar on the road with absolutely no problems. i have been doing it for almost 2 years and anyone on this board that has done it will agree with me.

Just for the record, I don't agree.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's why I said I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 PM

you wont gain more flex persay without your swaybar, but you will gain more stability with that articulation because the tires can move independantly of eachother. the reason people dont recomend taking the swaybar off for the highway is that it can make it very dangerous when handling hard or turning sharp because of the added articulation. its not as bad with torsion bar or coilover IFS as it is with some other types of systems but i still wouldnt take it off on my dd.

there are several quick disconect kits sold for toyota pickups. just buy one of those and take the extra 45 seconds at each trailhead to pop your swaybar off. much more safe.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Just for the record, I do agree.

I took the swaybar off my 86 4runner (second vehicle that I've ditched the sway bar on) and forgot it was even off until the next time I crawled underneath my truck. Am I saying its 100% as safe as having it on, NO. Does not having one on the road cause "problems" NO. These are my experiences and I can't gaurantee yours will be the same.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll have to disagree with you. Just because you've done it and have had no accident does not make it safe. Why not advocate stopping on railroad tracks just because you've never been hit by a train?

Personally, I'd rather have my truck enter an understeer situation than an oversteer one. You're far less likely to roll over if the rear end is behind the front, not beside it.

If you need the articulation, unbolt the bar on the trail and reconnect it when back at the road.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-25-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jason191918
Removing sway bar will help some, but not recommended for road use.
It appears to to be alright on 1st gen 4Runners and trucks (from what I've heard), but on my 2nd gen, it was a little less responsive on road. I often drive a road where rockslide are common (got hit by a large on last fall), and I felt safer with them on.

I made quick disconnects with some threaded rod, spherical rod ends and some nuts. They work well and are disconnect in about a 10 seconds a side.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-27-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I found removing the front swaybar made little difference on the road, but removing both the front AND the rear was a bit sketchy. It seems the people with bracket lifts are saying they notice a bigger difference, and with the higher COG, that makes sense.

My truck is stock height and has A LOT of extra weight pretty low in skids and armor, so I probably have a lower COG than normal.

As for increasing flex, there's a lot you can do to make a significant difference for not much money:
- remove the swaybar, at least offroad
- low profile compression bumpstops - there's a lot of angle in the CV available in compression
- balljoint spacers for improved droop travel
- UNcrank torsion bars: this suspension design is VERY progressive, meaning the spring rate can get so high that you won't be able to compress the suspension fully in normal situations
Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've removed my sway bar about a year and a haft ago with no probkems on the road, but I also installed larger T-bars at the same time(Downey 26mm.) I don't know if this made a differance or not? I aslo installed 1" BJ spacers. I went with 1" spacers because its the size material I had to work with(I made them).

Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by treknwil
I've removed my sway bar about a year and a haft ago with no probkems on the road, but I also installed larger T-bars at the same time(Downey 26mm.) I don't know if this made a differance or not?
Yes it makes a big difference, the stiffness of the t-bar will effect the body roll in turns.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
youve also got a supercharged 3.4 that you may like to have fun with from time to time. not saying you always do, but w/e. you are also a lot higher than me and others that say take it off.

i also have the 26mm bars but have 120lb front bumper on it to soften them up.

most of the people that say dont take them off are people with front AND rear. with leaves, they pretty much act as an anti-roll bar (i know you have leaves too).
Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jason191918
That's why I said I wouldn't recommend it.
care to elaborate?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Just for comparison's sake...

I had disconnected my anti-sway bar about two years ago for a run. When I reconnected it, apparently, I didn't completely tighten the top nut. At some point, the link popped out and I didn't notice anything was amiss until I was under the truck some weeks later. Not having the money for either a replacement link or for disco's, I took the anti-sway bar off. It has been that was since. There have been times when the truck has been loaded with gear that at high speeds, either on a rough section of road or for a needed swerve, that the body roll has gotten interesting. However, it hasn't been anything more than what I've felt in friend's SAS'd 4Runners. Many times, it is a purely psychological issue. Now, keep in mind, I'm not saying that it isn't perhaps less safe than with the bar on, but simply lifting a vehicle makes it "less safe".

Just my experiential 2c.

Quick Reply: Ifs Better Flex?