Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

idler arm has lots of play mech said...unsafe

Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idler arm has lots of play mech said...unsafe

well i brought my 94 4runner in for a muffler job and got a rude awakening...

mech said the idler arm needs to be replace. it has "lots of play" by turning the the wheel back and forth. he said if my idler arm goes, my steering goes also...mech told me this is issue "unsafe". can you guys give me more info on this idler arm matter?

here is costs on what else needs to be replace...
left axle = $129
idler arm = $150
ball joints (all four) = $530
3.0 to 3.4 engine swap = lol i wish!

looks like i'll be working overtime for the next two weeks...anyways, i'm definitely bringing in the runner to get it fix ASAP. i'll let you guys know how everthing goes!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Rebuild the idler arm..do not use aftermarket POS

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/idler/
Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've had one break on me. It's is by no means safe to drive with one that is worn and approaching failure. You can rebuild them if the shaft isn't bent, but the shaft is a weak link and is prone to failure eventually.

How could you possibly need 4 new ball joints?

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-31-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

rebuild your idler arm like Marc said and also replace your own axle. You can get lifetime warranty ones at autozone for about 80 bucks. If you plan on taking your rig offroad, this is a good chance to learn more about your suspension.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

After you rebuild or replace the one you have, look into getting a Downey Idler gusset/brace... http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM

If you can do the repairs yourself, you'll save about 500 bucks. Are you sure you need a new axle? What kind of problems were you having with it?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
idler arms, no matter what make are all a weak link and all end up wearing out.

I get my idler arms (yes plural lol) from Schucks. lifetime warranty. As the arm bends over time just get a new one. Very easy to install. $60 i think it was.

Whats wrong with your axle? You can pick new ones up for around $90 on the web and it's not that hard to install if you have the tools. If you dont have the tools or the socket to fit on the axle nut it can be a bitch =) Cone washerrs on the hubs can be a pain as well.

Balljoints? all 4? you kidding me, I've never heard of them all being bad, infact I've never seen a bad one.

hmm....
Old 03-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
idler arms, no matter what make are all a weak link and all end up wearing out.

I get my idler arms (yes plural lol) from Schucks. lifetime warranty. As the arm bends over time just get a new one. Very easy to install. $60 i think it was.

Whats wrong with your axle? You can pick new ones up for around $90 on the web and it's not that hard to install if you have the tools. If you dont have the tools or the socket to fit on the axle nut it can be a bitch =) Cone washerrs on the hubs can be a pain as well.

Balljoints? all 4? you kidding me, I've never heard of them all being bad, infact I've never seen a bad one.

hmm....
YOu don't need to remove the axle nut to remove a cv axle. Also, like said before buy idler arm brace, no more "bending over time". Then just everyonce in a while 30 min. rebuild with a few bucks worth of parts. I am actually going to see if I can get some bushings machined out of bronze to see if those bushings will last longer than the plastic ones.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:04 PM

i just did all 4 ball joints and the idler arm (with downey brace) i did it my self and saved a ton of cash

i've seen many bad toyota ball joints here at the shop
Old 03-31-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see them everyday thats for sure but ive owned several Toys over the years and can't remember EVER buying a front end part.. BUT i don't run through slews or over rocks like a mad man either so that could make the diffrence lol
Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 PM

I rebuilt my idler arm just last week, cost me about $15 give or take a couple bucks. All this talk about ball joints....I don't know about you folks but I change all of them at the same time when I do ball joint work. You're already in there & you have the tools, why not? If one went bad & they were all installed at the same time they are probably all in about the same shape & if you do them all as a set you don't have to wonder when the next one is going to go south on you. I also replace my tie rods as a set too b.t.w.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
YOu don't need to remove the axle nut to remove a cv axle. Also, like said before buy idler arm brace, no more "bending over time". Then just everyonce in a while 30 min. rebuild with a few bucks worth of parts. I am actually going to see if I can get some bushings machined out of bronze to see if those bushings will last longer than the plastic ones.
True..

I refurbed my hubs same time, must be why i remember getting that nut off =P
Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 PM

I have the original ball joints on my '88 and I beat the hell out of it. When I checked them about a month ago they were all in perfect shape. I spent some money on a spare that's sat on the shelf for a couple years now. I got it at a junkyard for $10, the guy that sold it to me asked me how I managed to mess up a Toyota ball joint. I told him it was for just in case. He looked at me kinda funny before took my money and said thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
I have the original ball joints on my '88 and I beat the hell out of it. When I checked them about a month ago they were all in perfect shape. I spent some money on a spare that's sat on the shelf for a couple years now. I got it at a junkyard for $10, the guy that sold it to me asked me how I managed to mess up a Toyota ball joint. I told him it was for just in case. He looked at me kinda funny before took my money and said thanks.
I hope mine turn out to be that reliable.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:37 PM

pics of idler arm...

my 94 4runner 4wd 5spd

left idler arm

right idler arm

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...n/DSC01557.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...n/DSC01558.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...n/DSC01561.jpg

just wanted to show you guys some pics...thanks again for the info!

i just moved to newport, oregon from hawaii. i live in a apartment and don't have a garage/tools to do the work. i wish i was back home...
Old 04-01-2007, 06:38 PM

idler arm has lots of play mech said...unsafe with PICS!

here are some pics of the idler arms...

my 94 4runner 4wd 5spd:

left:

right:

they look different...left arm is straight and right arm has a bend...right side looks new, left side looks stock....help please?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Passenger side is the idler arm. Drivers side is the pitman arm. Your idler arm looks like it is slightly bent upward, or the bushings are so worn that it just appears bent. The pitman arm looks good.

You can get new bushings for the idler arm and rebuild it. I get them from napaonline for $7 and change, shipped, for the 2 bushings, they're the same but you need 2 of them. They just call them idler arm bushings. Rock-auto has them too.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-01-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Passenger side is the idler arm. Drivers side is the pitman arm. Your idler arm looks like it is slightly bent upward, or the bushings are so worn that it just appears bent. The pitman arm looks good.
thanks for the info! that makes sense now
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM

When my idler arm went I bought a used Toyota one off Ebay for 10 bucks and put it on.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:53 PM

I bought a 95 4runner a year or so ago and both balljoints were blown out and the boots were torn. I just replaced with some from toyota for 63 bucks each, Not a bad deal IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: idler arm has lots of play mech said...unsafe