Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

i think my rear window finally died. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think my rear window finally died. . . .

my truck made it 20 years in the rust belt without the rear window quitting. matter of fact, i went golfing last week and put my clubs back there (through the window). yesterday, i went to load some shingles into the back of my truck, and the window doesn't work. talk about a PITA loading shingles into the back (shingles are VERY heavy) through the door. . . .

anyways, i checked the obvious, if the window lock was on, if the windshield wiper wasn't seated, if the circuit breaker was popped (to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't, but i don't really know how circuit breakers in cars work)(i stuck a toothpick in the hole but didn't get anything to click so i'm assuming it isn't tripped). what other obvious thing can i check? what typically fails when the windows stop working? and what's the best way to get my tailgate open assuming it gave up the ghost?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Switch failed on a 4runner I sold.. cause it was full of dried soda..
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Yep lots of fun! My window has not work for almost 6 months and loading from the backseat has been a real joy! It could be the relay behind the drivers seat inside the panel, do you hear a clicking noise when you use the key or switch? Maybe the motor is shot? It may be a combination of things.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MILLER 88DLX
Yep lots of fun! My window has not work for almost 6 months and loading from the backseat has been a real joy! It could be the relay behind the drivers seat inside the panel, do you hear a clicking noise when you use the key or switch? Maybe the motor is shot? It may be a combination of things.
the key! ha! the key hasn't even been able to turn in the cylinder in the 5-ish years i've had it, so i highly doubt it works. no, i don't hear a click, but i don't ever recall hearing one either. (i take it you would call the lack of click a relay problem, right?) as for the motor, can i get to it with the tailgate up? if/when i get to it, assuming i have voltage at the connector when someone else flips the switch, that means that the motor is bad, correct? if not, then it could be the relay or the switch or the circuit breaker or the wiring or. . . .
Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MILLER 88DLX
i went out and checked again. i DO hear a relay click, but only when i push the switch into the UP position (window is all the way up, rear wiper is properly seated). i'm assuming that means that either the down part of my switch went bad or my down relay went bad (which i'm guessing is the culprit cuz i have massive rust "holes" in the fender and i guarantee water can get up in there and kill the relays). right?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you take off the tailgate covers from the inside you can access the motor with the tailgate up.

There's a cosmetic cover that pops off and then a metal cover with 5 or 6 phillips screws.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM

bump cuz i didn't get an answer for this comment.

Originally Posted by ayoung101
i went out and checked again. i DO hear a relay click, but only when i push the switch into the UP position (window is all the way up, rear wiper is properly seated). i'm assuming that means that either the down part of my switch went bad or my down relay went bad (which i'm guessing is the culprit cuz i have massive rust "holes" in the fender and i guarantee water can get up in there and kill the relays). right?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
See:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...leshootingTips

A relay will always click when it is turned on and off, but you normally do not hear the click because the motor that the relay turns on makes enough noise to mask the click. But if the electrical contacts inside the relay are pitted or burned, they will not make electrical contact, even though the magnetic coil is pulling them together (the source of the click) and thus the load they control (i.e. the rear window motor) won't run (and thus makes no noise) and you now hear just the relay clicking.