86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I think my HG is gone..help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my HG is gone..help?

Ok so first I will give yall a little back ground on the truck. It is a 1988 4wd standard 3vze with 80k miles. I got it about a year ago from a guy it was just sitting behind his house. I said last time he ran it was about 5-6 years ago but it did run all it needed was a new fuel pump. So I get the truck and have played with it and worked on it in my free time in the last year. I have changed the fuelfilter, fuel railes, injectors, water pump and the T-stat.

Well it was finally ready for me to try and start it so I put some gas in it and it cranked up with a little help but it started. I let it run for about 5 min and then I could some like a burning smell and saw a little bit of smoke. I really didnt think much of it I figured it hadnt been ran in years it was just burning some stuff off. I also so a lose fitting I had on the fuel rail and figured it had to also so something with that. So fixed the lose fitting and put it back all together

This brings us to now. I start the truck it starts fine I get out to watch the motor for any more smoke or smells. After I got out the truck started sputtering and acting like it was going to die so i jump back in the cab and if I just barely placed my foot on the gas pedal it was fine but if I took it off it acted like it was gonna die. I then smelled the same smell again so I shut it off and looked and didnt see any smoke. I took one of the rad hoses off and noticed it was an odd color so I took a picture because it kinda looks oily but im not 100% sure.

I could also brush that stuff off and there was perfectly good coolant under it.

So heres what I got.
No smoke coming out the tail pipe and it doesnt smell sweet.
Coolant doesnt look normal not sure what that is.
I am going check my oil right now.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Its oil, I'm sure one of the 3vze guys will chime in. My buddy did the head gasket in his with ease. I'll bet thats what happened.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 PM

I just checked the oil and it was fine nice and black. I also remembered in my rush/excitement to get it started I didnt clean the radiator like I should have so Im hoping it might be some junk from that.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont run it till you find out. If you have coolent in your oil, the coolent can be just at the bottom of the pan where the dip stick wont reach. And thats where your oil pick up is at, so when you start it, at first you will just be pumping coolent through your bearings. Pull your oil plug and watch the first bit that comes out, might be coolent.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get this condition if you mix green and red coolant. It generally spells disaster for the HGs
Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
You can get this condition if you mix green and red coolant. It generally spells disaster for the HGs
Hmmm thats interesting... I did put green in it but the owner before me also had green in it.

I went ahead and changed the oil and filter also so we will see

I also found out where the smoke is coming from...there is a pipe right next to the driver side fuel rail its near the front under the fuel pressure regulator I saw smoke coming from that area and pulled the rubber pipe off and noticed it was coming out of the pipe

Is there any type of "stop leak" stuff I can use for the HG?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't use stop leak, Fix it right the first time and it will save you a lot of time and money down the road

Try and take a picture of said hose. There are so many down there it could be one of many.

Last edited by snobdds; 12-07-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 PM

not mine as im done for the night and searched google and find something close enough to give you the idea

Its that hose ( the only one in the pic and its got a curve to it) thats the one smoke or steam what ever you want to call it will come out of

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0663.jpg

Last edited by Cptchunky; 12-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.