86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I seafoamed my 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seafoamed my 3vze

I have been hearing and reading all sorts of good stuff about seafoam and figured I would give it a shot. I used the brake booster vacuum line. Poured it in and the engine instantly started gurgling and sputtering and the smoke started right away. I shut off the engine and waited the 5-10 minutes. Fired it up again and sure enough it insanely smoked. Results? Eh....idles really smooth. Haven't noticed too much of an increase in power or throttle response yet. I am waiting to see if the fuel mileage improves. I have heard it may take 2-3 cans to make a difference. Here are some pictures cause everyone likes pictures

This is the line I used to pour the seafoam in.

This is where that line feeds into.

As you can see, this line feeds everything. (if not, i admit, im not the most knowledgeable guy on mechanics lol)

What are your seafoam experiences? Are there any better products?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Brake booster line won't feed all cylinders. I've read lots of good stuff about Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner and I'm gonna play around with it. It's a spray foam instead of just a liquid
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Did you throw any in the gas tank / crank case? I think it takes the trifecta to get all of the good results...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 AM

I did the trifecta style SeaFoam treatment on both my Pathfinder and 4runner, all it did to either of them was make em smoke for a little bit. Coulda probably had the same effect spraying water into a vacuum line. Waste of 10 bucks to me
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM

yea i poured it in gas and oil and its running alot better a day later. I am satisfied but there is ALWAYS room for more improvement.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after seeing this, it reminded me to do mine as i already had a can. i did mine thru the port just before the throttle body because i wanted to clean the throttle body as well. i just turned up the idle so it would have enough vacuum. i think i need to do it a few more times as it didnt smoke nearly as much as my accord i did a few years back or maybe the runner is just that clean lol
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Its a toyota thing haha
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM

haha i know huh, gonna do it one more time. already added half a bottle to the tank, gonna put some some in the oil as im due for one in like 200miles. hope thats long enough
Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Sea Foam also comes in a spray, it's called Deep Creep. I've tried that through the brake booster line and it didn't work as well as dumping the Sea Foam in it. With the spray it barely affected the idle and barely smoked...nothing like the Sea Foam does. I don't think enough product comes out in the aerosol form, and what little does, gets atomized even more as it gets pulled through and isn't concentrated enough to do much. It's mostly made for de-carbing outboard straight through the carbs.

I also never saw much difference after Sea Foaming though, a lot of smoke and pretty much no difference in running afterwards.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think you guys are doing it all wrong forget the lil bottle. get the gallon and do it that way i parked over near all the car parts stores in a big huge unused parking lot, let it suck till it died waited 30 mins. started back up i thought i was gonna have the epa out there then did it again i think before my rod went out the side of the block my truck needed seafoam (musta been like a drug)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
haha i know huh, gonna do it one more time. already added half a bottle to the tank, gonna put some some in the oil as im due for one in like 200miles. hope thats long enough
I believe it says on the bottle not to drive with Seafoam in your crank case. Just pour it in and let it idle, then change your oil
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM

you can drive with it in there take a 15-30min trip come back and change the oil/filter
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM

woops i drove like 100 miles, kinda hard too going uphill in the mountain and playing in the snow
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM

I've put upwards of 2,000 miles on several different vehicles before I changed the oil out.... everything still runs like a top !
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM

What's this SeaFoam supposed to do? I saw it at Napa but didn't read the bottle. What's the consensus here, is it legit or just snake oil?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM

dont forget to change the plugs when you change the oil
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by WetDogSmell
What's this SeaFoam supposed to do? I saw it at Napa but didn't read the bottle. What's the consensus here, is it legit or just snake oil?

it helps break down the buildup inside the engine i'll take pics of my throttle body and show the ugliest blackness
Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you dont need to change the plugs after running sea foam (if it cleans the pistons and head then its cleaning the spark plugs as well. i dont have a can handy but i belive the only thing they recommend changing to oil after a short interval of running it in the crank case is on diesel engines. personally iv never added it in the crank case because its so thin, i prefer to add some atf in the crank case when i want to clean the crank case. or just run synthetic oil.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 PM

i have never changed plugs after doing seafoam. i dont use what they recommend anyways. i just added just a little less than 1/3 of the bottle to the oil. a little less than half into the gas tank and the rest into the intake. gonna a 3rd again into the intake after the oil change.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM

I've got a 89 3vze that had been parked since 2002. It's my first Toy. Gas tank was full of gunk, fuel pump was seized. I cleaned out the tank, put in a new pump, and got it fired up. It was missing pretty bad so I did a leakdown test and 3 of the cylinders were low, 50-60%. I could hear the air coming out the throttle-body which means stuck or leaking intake valves. As a long-shot I tried a $10 bottle of seafoam before diving into a valve job. There was only about a gallon of gas in the tank so I put about 1/3 can in the tank. The significance of that is that it was fairly concentrated. The other 2/3 I sucked in using a vacuum port. I did not use the brake-booster line as that looks like it would hit the back 3 cyl's harder than the front, although it would have been easier.

After the treatment it was still missing but another leakdown test showed that it freed up the stuck intake valves!

I ran another can through for the heck of it, still missing. Two cylinders are now at 91% and 86% leakdown, both by the rings. If I squirt some carb cleaner in the vacuum fitting the motor revs up so it's starving for fuel. Also it doesn't miss when it's cold. My theory is the injectors or the screens on the injectors are clogged with rust scale from the tank, which seafoam won't help with. And the reason it runs well when cold is the cold start injector is giving the missing cyls enough fuel to fire, until it warm up.

Your mileage may vary...

Quick Reply: I seafoamed my 3vze