86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i need your help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need your help

ok so this is what went down. i was out playing around, tryed to cross a "pond" but it was way deeper than it looked and stuff so i went for it and my front went in and water went in my intake and my truck died. i got it out of the "pond an like 20 min. and pulled the plugs and pushed my truck to get the water out but it didnt do anything.
what do you think happend? im pulling the engine out right now and water was in the 1st and 6th intake port. Help me i need your help-getattachment.jpg
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you locked it while the engine was running there's a good chance you destroyed the motor.

This is called hydrostatic lock and it can be bad...
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think your gonna be pulling that motor pretty quick here.

Sorry dude
Old 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like full rebuild time. Probably at least new rods, maybe new crank even.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ummm ummm ummm, that looks bad. So with the all plugs out it won't turn over, even with the starter or pushing it? If so, the engine is has probably locked up from a broken or bent rod. Any oil leaking out of it? If not, maybe the block is ok.

Believe it or not your car insurance may cover you on that. I know a lady that drove into a flooded street and her insurance co paid for a new engine for it. Of course maybe they don't cover pond crossings LOL.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are going to have to pull the oil pan and take a look. water does not compress, so when water is in the cylinder during the compresson stroke the engine will hopefully die before shortening the stroke by itsself. depending upon the condition of the rotating assembly really depends on how bad you are going to be. If you open it up and everything looks straight and normal you will probably be fine. If you really messed it up it will be real noticeable. a blown rod is most likely going to mean a new block.

what you could do before pulling the motor is pull the plugs obviously and with the car in neutrel try to turn over the motor, if it doesnt turn or turns freely then binds your in trouble. good luck