86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need a new motor!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a new motor!

So I just recently blew my 3.0, and I am now looking for a remanufactured 3.0. I have found this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...8135QQtcZphoto

The cool thing about this one is the extra power it is putting out. Also the company selling it is only about 25 mins away from my house.

Has anyone purchased an engine from this company before?
If so would you buy from them again?

chspdx.com is their website.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't heard of them but you can also check out these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/Oregon-Engine-Rebuilders-Inc

They are also close to you and have a lifetime warranty.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 07-10-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
Haven't heard of them but you can also check out these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/Oregon-Engine-Rebuilders-Inc

They are also close to you and have a lifetime warranty.

Rob
I have heard of them before, but the extra power of the 3.0 I found makes me want to look into these guys a little more.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Lightbulb

Subscribing, I wanna see how their engines look/work too with the higher output.

Anyone has info let us know.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Has anyone here ever got a their 3.0 to push close to 190HP?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM

go with oregon engine rebuilders. i have their longblock and their customer service is great! you can add their performance cams and valves (which is the only thing different in the other motor) and still pay less than what the first company is asking. He will put the valves and cams in as he assembles your longblock. plus, how can you beat a lifetime unlimited mileage warranty??
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM

I have some input for you as well.

*While I have not ever bought a motor on ebay, that Oregon Engine Rebuilders looks to have a good deal and it is nice to hear from someone(95runner) who has worked with them and it is all good.

*I rebuilt my 3vze from the shortblock all the way up(see sig) and if you have the time and APTITUDE, I would say that it is a great deal to do it that way. I was able to replace a lot more parts with new ones by saving some money this way - I replaced dang near everything on mine and my motor with exhaust project came out to right around 2500 bucks. And i have the confidence of knowing what the inside of my motor looks like and I know that everything was torqued correctly.

* On the other hand I have installed 3 reman'd longblocks from advanced auto parts. They have 3 lines of remanned motors - Ihave always used the middle line. I did a 3VZE($1690 with my military discount(10%)) and 2 22re's($1280 with my military discount(10%)) in the last year and they have all been superb.

Hopefully that throw some more options to you.

Now after writing all this, I reread your original post and I would say that you should ask them for 3 local references that you could call/meet and see how they felt about the product. As far as I am concerned, the money you spend on a new motor is worth doing some serious research.

Kat
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Kaleb - I will bet 32.50(half the cost of the dyno charge) on the fact that mine is there.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by justinking060310
Now after writing all this, I reread your original post and I would say that you should ask them for 3 local references that you could call/meet and see how they felt about the product. As far as I am concerned, the money you spend on a new motor is worth doing some serious research.

Kat
That is a great idea, the shop installing my motor actually suggested that as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 PM

also ask the company if their hp and tq ratings are estimated or actually dyno'd
Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Talking

Originally Posted by justinking060310
Kaleb - I will bet 32.50(half the cost of the dyno charge) on the fact that mine is there.
Sorry 'bout this short detour...

Ummm, Katie,
Originally Posted by Four Runner
..post a video...
If you need the $32.50 that bad, I'll pay it, via paypal, but you gotta post the vid of it on the machine, then on the street, with the exhaust dialed.

My concern is and will continue to be how well the 3.0 will hold up once punched out to higher h.p. given the headgasket/bypass-left header issue. I've yet to see anyone get more than 120k on an engine without the gasket failing, and don't know anyone who's done it with the newer gaskets, because they ended up going with the 3.4 swap.
*Yes these friends even went with aftermarket headers.
**Rigs were a 92, a 94, and a 95.

If it can be done, I believe that Oregon Engine can do it, reliably, but it's only faith/belief right now, no proof.

I might have to email them.

So, please, somebody prove it.

Last edited by Four Runner; 07-10-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 AM

I would suggest that you look into the 3.4 a lot harder. Polishing the 3.slow will only yield you a 3.turd.

Take this from someone who's polished the turd as shiny as it'll go and am still disappointed.

I wish I'd done the 3.4
Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribing also

Since you guys are in my backyard, I'm subscribing also. I want to swap a 3.4 into my 4runner eventually and all this is great info.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
I would suggest that you look into the 3.4 a lot harder. Polishing the 3.slow will only yield you a 3.turd.

Take this from someone who's polished the turd as shiny as it'll go and am still disappointed.

I wish I'd done the 3.4
I don't have the time nor money to swap in a different motor at this time. I am not even sure why people swap in the 3.4 really. It only puts out a minimal horse power gain compared to other motors like a 350 or a 302. If I am going to swap a different motor into my truck I am going to do so with a motor that has a high output and a large after market.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Well I guess I am going to be getting a junk yard motor and do a manual transmission conversion. I talked to a few shops that have installed their motors, and they said they have not had the best of luck with them.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kaleb
Well I guess I am going to be getting a junk yard motor and do a manual transmission conversion. I talked to a few shops that have installed their motors, and they said they have not had the best of luck with them.
Are you talking about Motorcrate or Oregon Engine Rebuilders?

Rob
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't have the time nor money to swap in a different motor at this time. I am not even sure why people swap in the 3.4 really. It only puts out a minimal horse power gain compared to other motors like a 350 or a 302. If I am going to swap a different motor into my truck I am going to do so with a motor that has a high output and a large after market.
Why people swap hmmmm?? from one of those swappers ill tell you why.

1. Same weight
2. If you do it my way you dont have to use a differnt automatic tranny.
3. No major modifications to the truck (i.e. a conversion harness and crossover is all thats needed the rest of the parts are easy to come by at your local napa.)
4. Again NO MAJOR modifications. your A/C bolts up, your transmission bolts up, Its actually a really easy swap.
5. If you use ORS' Conversion kit you can have this swap done in a week MAX.
6. Finally i would never call 50hp Minimal. especially when the differnce when your driving it is so radically apparent. ohh and hey you can always pick up a supercharger for it and add another 50, and while your at it if you add a few other after market items pretty soon you have that 3.4 up to 300hp with out modify any internals. now where was the Minimal there. especially since you didnt add all the wieght of a small block.
7. And now you have 300hp and still can get decent fuel milage compared to a smallblock.

btw a stock high output 350 only makes 190hp same as a stock 3.4 granted it makes slightly more torque. but jeeeze the wieght, and fuel milage penalty is too much.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM

oh and btw i spent all of 3500 includeing 1300 for a supercharger on my swap
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by thefallman
Why people swap hmmmm?? from one of those swappers ill tell you why.

1. Same weight
2. If you do it my way you dont have to use a differnt automatic tranny.
3. No major modifications to the truck (i.e. a conversion harness and crossover is all thats needed the rest of the parts are easy to come by at your local napa.)
4. Again NO MAJOR modifications. your A/C bolts up, your transmission bolts up, Its actually a really easy swap.
5. If you use ORS' Conversion kit you can have this swap done in a week MAX.
6. Finally i would never call 50hp Minimal. especially when the differnce when your driving it is so radically apparent. ohh and hey you can always pick up a supercharger for it and add another 50, and while your at it if you add a few other after market items pretty soon you have that 3.4 up to 300hp with out modify any internals. now where was the Minimal there. especially since you didnt add all the wieght of a small block.
7. And now you have 300hp and still can get decent fuel milage compared to a smallblock.

btw a stock high output 350 only makes 190hp same as a stock 3.4 granted it makes slightly more torque. but jeeeze the wieght, and fuel milage penalty is too much.
A HO 350 makes 290hp

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...9-P824C53.aspx
Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
Are you talking about Motorcrate or Oregon Engine Rebuilders?

Rob
I was talking about Motorcrate.

Quick Reply: I need a new motor!