Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I need help w/ '86 pickup! Tires & exhaust?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help w/ '86 pickup! Tires & exhaust?

Ok, I no am am gonna get slammed for this(been on 2 many other forums not to no this is gonna happen!!)!! But, here it goes! I just had to buy it!! I payed like $140.00 to fill up my diesel!!! My buddy has had this lil yota sitting @ his house forever. I brought it home for like $1k. It has like 180k miles?? So, I did a little research and got a DOA timing chain, tq cam and a high volume oil pump since I was in there and warn hubs. This thing is soooo cherry(1986 short cab,4x4,5 speed,topper,running boards,bumpers,ect)! I got it of the 2nd owner(who only drove it 30k mi 185k total). I have ALL the maitnence records(I mean every oil change, new radiator, tire,ect, EVER! They start @ 1986!!!). Granted it is 22yrs old! The outside is a little faded! But, not a drop of rust anywhere(inner fenders, bed,under the rubber floor?)!!!! I am thinking this is a real find @ this point!?!?! So, keep in mind I am trying to save a lil $ on gas and drive arround town and to do some 4wheelin(I have trucks on toplaoders,f350's on 44 boggers and all that stuff!). I am really just lookin for a grocery getter and a huntin buggy!! I have a set of 265x80x16 swampers(like new). I need to replace the entire exhaust (manifold to tailpipe and pass emissions!) What direction would you head? keeping in mind there is a budget. I do no how this is gonna end up!!! Like any other drug!! Once ya try it once and ya just have to have more YOTA!!! LOL!! any products that ya'll think I should start off with? Can it fit those tires pretty easily? What offset rims should I run with those tires? Absolutely ANYTHING that could help!!!! Keep in mind!! Ya'll were in my shoes once starting off with these trucks too!!!! I just don't wanna have another truck I have to work on ALL week to take out on the weekend!!!!! I will post some pics tomm.
Ya'll take care now!
-kerm
raymond,ga
p.s. this thing has no AC?? Is that an available option that year(it gets hot as hell here during the summer!!)??? What is this things towing capasity(small trailer with lawn mower ok??)???
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good deal on that, and welcome to Yotatech. You should have no problem towing small loads with that truck, just don't expect to set any land speed records. These trucks(for the most part) aren't real fast, but they sure are fun to drive, and very loyal.

BTW, I think A/C was an option in '86. If not, I'm sure some one will correct me.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

LCE header and 2.25'' exhaust, muffler is up to you. i like dynomax mufflers, they sound like the tacoma's. i think you are gonna have to rear gear if you stick those 16's on there, and if you do that might as well put some lockers in. welcome to Y/T, and nice find.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm not sure how much help I can be. The tires you want to put on are close to 33's - According to 1010 tires calculator it's 32.69. So most manufacturers suggest at least an 8" wide rim (some say 10") I think a 3.5" or 3" back spaced rim. Because of the width (approx 10.43') the tire may rub, so there are 2 inexpensive ways to correct this - 1. (very cheap) 2" or 3" body lift OR 2. (still fairly cheap) Ball Joint spacers and longer shackles. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml Both should correct any rubbing. You could do a combination of both and have no worries... But one thing to remember is when you switch to this size of tire it is wise to regear, 4.88:1 (brings it back to near stock) if you don't plan on going any larger or 5.29:1 if you may go to 35's or need a bit of extra grunt. Also while your in there you may want to consider a locker - gets expensive fast... LOL - Hope this is helpful.... Just my 1/2 cent...
Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 PM

The tires that you are gonna need to put on there are inexspensive but bad ass at the same time.

Dayton Timberlines 33x12.50x15

Look for a set of those they are the same molds as BFG's. Trust me if you can pick some of those up you wont go wrong at all.