Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I need help with my 84 Yota that has a 92 22R-E engine.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with my 84 Yota that has a 92 22R-E engine.

Ok I have a 84 Toyota 4x4 that I just bought about 3 weeks ago. It has a 1992 Toyota 22R-E engine. I got it running but after hitting the gas and reving it up I let off and try again and it dies. I also tried letting it idle and it does that for about 2 minutes and dies. Does anyone have any ideas on what that could be? I changed the fuel pump, fuel lines, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Very interesting issue. Are you throwing any codes? Did the guy who did the swap have it running at one time?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Yeah he had it running only to show me when I bought it. He said it was the fuel pump but come to find out its not that. I have been working on it by my self and haven't hooked a computer to it yet.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
When it starts to die, can you keep it going if you feather the throttle?

You could be looking at vacuum leaks, electrical, sensors, etc. Did the truck ever run properly? I'm thinking maybe a bad signal out of the AFM, or a bad TPS, or a vacuum leak.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM

He says he drove it for about 500 miles and then started having this issue. I dont believe him now. LOL
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM

By feathering it, it still dies. Thats the issue this is my first Toyota and I really am having an issue with what he hooked up and whats not hooked up.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM

I cant find a clear enough diagram on the wiring or the vacuum lines. I got the Haynes repair manual but the pictures arent clear enough for me to read.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Here are some good vac diagrams.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51645215

I'm leading towards the AFM not being quite right or a vac leak.

Check the "Trouble Codes" link in my sig you don't need a computer to read the codes.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM

ok let me check that stuff.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/ says they introduced the 22RE in 1985, so I'm guessing anything involved with fuel injection would have to have been brought over with the transplanted engine, including the ECU. I'd focus on things that might have been omitted.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Ok I will have to check all that. It had a 22R in it before then the guy swapped it for some reason. I havent figured out why yet. LOL!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM

I will also take pictures tomorrow of the engine and post them maybe someone can see that something isnt hooked up that has to be.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Google Ttora fsm. They have some factory service manuals that will be a lot more helpful then the haynes. they have one for a 93 which would work.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would start doing a Process Of Elimination, Dean.

1. Verify everything's right on that vacuum diagram. VERY important.
2. Get the part # off the ECU and BE SURE it's the right one for that 92 Motor.
3. Be sure it's a 92 motor! (you should start verifying EVERYTHING you can, considering the guy might not have been totally honest.) Check the side of the block, I believe below and to the left of the Header(more toward the middle of block-side.) The vacuum diagrams are different for different years of the 22re, that's really the main reason I mentioned "is it a 92 Motor?"
4. YES; "Get us some good pics of where you have all the vacuum hoses routed to/from"
5. Fiero could be right, do you have a Multi-Meter and Feeler Gauges? You'll need them to test ALL the sensors/most of the components like the AFM, etc.
6. All the wires are good, not compromised?(Check for spark-n-da-dark, lol)
7. EGR completely clogged shut?(not sure, thought the 92EGR was electronic connected, no?).

First, be sure of the BIG 3 (Fuel, Spark, Timing/3A-Compression). Also, my buddy had an AFM take a dump on him and he had a similar issue. It was slamming shut due to the windings inside being tweaked/sending bad signals to the ECU).

Personally, I would start with the big 3 and then go straight to the book. "Engine Stalls" suggests several things, including,

1. Idle Speed Incorrect(make sure that idle air screw isn't all the way in, ...that'll do it!lol.... not likely the problem, sounds more Ignition/Vacuum/Timing related....OR>>)
2. Fuel Filter Clogged and/or water and impurities in the fuel system(also talks on "are fuel line clogged, etc." related, which you seem to have addressed. So, can you be sure there's not water in the fuel tank due to sitting a long time while he messed with it?)
3. EMISSIONS SYSTEMS COMPONENTS FAULTY?
4. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs, ...also check wires.(Doubtful on the plugs, new, right? But, wires?)
5. Vacuum leak at the carb., intake manifold or vacuum hoses. CHECK ALL
6. Valve Clearances Incorrect
7. Fuel Pressure ok?

These are just some of the things it mentions, ...but many of us have had CRAZY issues with idling, stalling, etc., due to Coolant Temp Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor(TPS), Air Flow Meter(AFM), Injector Voltage Resistor, 02 Sensor..... But really, just flat out stalling? That seems more like a HUGE vacuum leak(or improperly routed vacuum), Emissions Problems, H20 in fuel, Throttle Position Sensor never tested and adjusted, AFM failing, ....things that you can fairly easily verify/check off your Process Of Elimination checklist.

My bet is on vacuum related item or, well, ....just something not plugged in? lol.

Best wishes, Dean, and welcome to Yotatech!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Check my sig for that the FSM.

Last edited by Lumpy; 03-01-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would start by poking things with a multimeter

edit: looks like i took too long to press "post quick reply"
Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Ok I will try all that tomorrow I am writing all this down, Thank you guys soo much I will let you know what the problem is as soon as I find it. I am at work right now and cant work on it this very moment.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Doesn't look like your working too hard...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Don't worry about when, Dean, ...we all understand that.

Just DO TRY to work at the "most likely" backward to the source of each thing. You will save your self TONS of time.(FIRST, verifying everything is in the right place, and, equally as important, ....that the RIGHT THING is in those places, ya know? lol)

Since you've bought a "Swap-Rig", ....I'd say it's FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT to verify ALL the vacuum and ALL the wiring is in the right place. The truck NOW has an AFM, TPS, IACV, ....several things it did NOT have, before, all controlled by Electrical/Coolant temp/etc. It also has a different vacuum system now. (Did the guy add a full new harness from the 92? Did he just add/splice in wiring for the new components? Did he mess up any of the wiring?) << things like that.

If you can call the guy, just ask him, "REALLY need to know, ...how long did this fuel tank sit here, non-op condition?..... is this ECU taken from the same Rig that the motor was?" Etc. It might have sat there for 5 years, never running, gathering plenty of water in the fuel tank, ya know? It's a guess/shot in the dark, but really, ...if IT IS something like that, it doesn't matter how much or how quickly you can test things, ....you'd be chasing your tail until you found that water in the tank, ya know? Couldn't hurt to see if he'll just answer you straight up, "Yeah, it sat for 3 years", ya know?

Drive safe leaving work! lol..... I know what it's like to RUN OUT THERE, dying to figure out what's wrong, lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Doesn't look like your working too hard...
HAHAHA.... levity, love it! "Must, ....get, .......15 posts.......", lil bit of work, "ok, boss, ....gone, 13, 14.........." hahaha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need help with my 84 Yota that has a 92 22R-E engine.