Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need help asap!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 93RedKrawler
So I just crawled under and was banging on the cat and muffler . Not a whole lot of sound came out of the cat but when I hit the muffler the cat started making a noise of lots of plastic balls rolling on each other . Didn't sound like a baby rattle.
Remove the 4 bolts on a cat to check it.
Baby rattles have plastic balls

Last edited by dropzone; 09-15-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwisham
Sounds like the cat has come apart on the inside. Disconnect the cat and see if that solves the problem. If the cat has come apart, that will cause a restriction in the exhaust which will have a huge effect on perfofmance. Remember, an engine is just an air pump. More air in more air out increases performance the other way around decreases performance. A stopped up exhaust will definitely cause performance issues.
So I just pulled the cat out. Nothing seems to be wrong with it I can see light threw the mesh on the other side so I don't see how it could be clogged?? I'm not completely sure how to check the muffler though cause of the pipes on both sides. Do I need to cut it out??
Old 09-15-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Remove the 4 bolts on a cat to check it.
Baby rattles have plastic balls
With the cat out I can shake and hit it but no noise is coming from it. How do I check to see if the mufflers clogged with it having two long pieces of pipe welded to either side??
Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AKHeathen
it still sounds like the exhaust, even if new. while it's cool, go under and pound on the cat and muffler and see if you hear anything rattling inside. could even be a rag forgotten in the exhaust. i've seen that many times. next step, pull the valve cover and make sure #1 is firing on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. it can still run, but not well, and lots of burning into the exhaust, possibly cooking the cat out. double check correct firing order, too.
Didn't the OP report that it ran fine for the first part of his 4hr drive and then lost power?

To me, this points to either clogged fuel or clogged exhaust that happened during his drive.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GeoRoss
Didn't the OP report that it ran fine for the first part of his 4hr drive and then lost power?

To me, this points to either clogged fuel or clogged exhaust that happened during his drive.
So with the exhaust all the way off I've already seen a difference with the power but it still lags just not as often. Do mufflers go bad?? I'm doing the fuel lines now .
Old 09-15-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
So with the exhaust all the way off I've already seen a difference with the power but it still lags just not as often. Do mufflers go bad?? I'm doing the fuel lines now .
My comment was more about pulling the valve cover to check that the cam is set right. While not a bad idea, I would have expected it to run poorly from the start. It is probably a good idea to check anyway.

It is progress getting power back though it stinks about the continued lagging after pulling the exhaust. Is the lagging a misfire by chance? Mufflers and cats do go bad. Didn't you say that it has a new cat and muffler? Running rich will kill a cat over time.

Other more knowledgable people may have a more elegant diagnostic test for the fuel system that works on these trucks. Hopefully they will chime in. One thing to do is test the fuel pressure. I don't know how hard it is to put a fuel pressure gauge on downstream of the fuel filter on a 22re but that may be a simple way to diagnosis fuel delivery system from the filter to the tank. You can jumper the fuel pump to test without starting.

The lagging (or misfire?) and power loss could be two separate things. The loss of power was fixed by removing the cat and the lagging is something else. If it is a misfire, there is a list of things to try.

The lagging, is it a momentary hesitation when you accelerate or does it persist?

Good luck and hopefully more people will chime back in.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mwisham
Sounds like the cat has come apart on the inside. Disconnect the cat and see if that solves the problem. If the cat has come apart, that will cause a restriction in the exhaust which will have a huge effect on perfofmance. Remember, an engine is just an air pump. More air in more air out increases performance the other way around decreases performance. A stopped up exhaust will definitely cause performance issues.
So I just got done
Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by GeoRoss
My comment was more about pulling the valve cover to check that the cam is set right. While not a bad idea, I would have expected it to run poorly from the start. It is probably a good idea to check anyway.

It is progress getting power back though it stinks about the continued lagging after pulling the exhaust. Is the lagging a misfire by chance? Mufflers and cats do go bad. Didn't you say that it has a new cat and muffler? Running rich will kill a cat over time.

Other more knowledgable people may have a more elegant diagnostic test for the fuel system that works on these trucks. Hopefully they will chime in. One thing to do is test the fuel pressure. I don't know how hard it is to put a fuel pressure gauge on downstream of the fuel filter on a 22re but that may be a simple way to diagnosis fuel delivery system from the filter to the tank. You can jumper the fuel pump to test without starting.

The lagging (or misfire?) and power loss could be two separate things. The loss of power was fixed by removing the cat and the lagging is something else. If it is a misfire, there is a list of things to try.

The lagging, is it a momentary hesitation when you accelerate or does it persist?

Good luck and hopefully more people will chime back in.
The lagging is a momentary hesitation when I accelerate but it changes back and forth as I'm accelerating. Example it will go lag go lag lag go lag go. Maybe not in that order but that's how it feels. I just got done putting my exhaust back together. The cat looked fine but I replaced it any way with a straight tube . So no more cat . It does seem to run better with the fuel system cleaning I did and now that the cat is gone . But I'm not calling it fixed yet the muffler is still making the rattle noise I think it's one of the muffler tubes on the inside that has come loose and now is just dangling inside. Maybe I'm wrong on that
Old 09-15-2015, 02:34 PM

The lagging is a momentary hesitation when I accelerate but it changes back and forth as I'm accelerating. Example it will go lag go lag lag go lag go. Maybe not in that order but that's how it feels. I just got done putting my exhaust back together. The cat looked fine but I replaced it any way with a straight tube . So no more cat . It does seem to run better with the fuel system cleaning I did and now that the cat is gone . But I'm not calling it fixed yet the muffler is still making the rattle noise I think it's one of the muffler tubes on the inside that has come loose and now is just dangling inside. Maybe I'm wrong on that
I just haven't driven it enough yet to know for sure
Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Still lags now that I've driven it but it has more power. Feels almost as if it struggles a little to get started like it needs more throttle then normal
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Could the fuel pump be going out??
Old 09-16-2015, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you test fuel pressure off, idling, and reving the engine to test the fuel pump or restriction. have you ran it with open exhaust? it should be little difference running without the muffler hooked up. if the muffler breaks, or has a piece of old cat or something in it, it will restrict as well.... and should have no rattle to it, unless it's hitting something external, but nothing internal. check the intake piping for cracks, especially at the clamps. pull the plugs and read them for abnormal burning or deposits. double check the timing with it warmed up and the timing check jumper in place...

ps: i have seen several engines run with the distributor 180 out of time.

Last edited by AKHeathen; 09-17-2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: "should"
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM

So I got a timing light today and was able to zero in the timing to five degrees with a clip in the relay and 12 with the clip out. It was by quite a bit more then I expected. The response time is faster. I was also able to weld in a new muffler then one that was in there I cut it open and found that the whole thing was rusted on the inside. Feels like my power is more consistent and not lagging like it was . If it keeps this up I'll call it fixed , but first give me some time to drive around
Old 09-17-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you got it. good luck.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's excellent.

It you feel some lag on acceleration, it kinda comes and goes, well you're not alone. I have that, and suspect a failing injector that's got a bad spray pattern, but I'm unsure.. But it's been like that since owning the truck. Techron is the only additive i endorse because I've seen instant results in multiple vehicles. So if you try it and it helps you may have a clue that it's a fuel spray issue.

But good job with the troubleshooting so far. I hope you enjoy your new truck!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
That's excellent.

It you feel some lag on acceleration, it kinda comes and goes, well you're not alone. I have that, and suspect a failing injector that's got a bad spray pattern, but I'm unsure.. But it's been like that since owning the truck. Techron is the only additive i endorse because I've seen instant results in multiple vehicles. So if you try it and it helps you may have a clue that it's a fuel spray issue.

But good job with the troubleshooting so far. I hope you enjoy your new truck!
I'm not a hundred 100% sure about the spray pattern of the injectors but I do now that it does run better now that I've cleaned things. I added some octane booster to the tank and it ran like a champ this morning but when it got down to 3/4 of a tank the lag returned and again the loss of power. Is the 85 octane fuel crap?? Should I burn something with higher octane?? gas stations?? My brother in law is suggesting that it's the fuel pump starting to go bad
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM

It will die sometimes when I brake and there is a sudden lose of power this happens maybe once a week.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will die sometimes when I brake and there is a sudden lose of power this happens maybe once a week.
1. 85 i think is too low. I think you want at least 87 but not higher because it's not a high compression engine. also the 10% ethanol gas is not great for this truck. Avoid it if possible. Idk how much gas you've gone through already but a bottle of dry gas could help. Or a bottle of seafoam. Different things, both helpful depending on what's causing the problem.

2. Is the idle just too low allowing it to die when you brake? Have you checked for all vacuum leaks?

3. How's your timing? A little advance helps with power. Sometimes just a tweak helps find its sweet spot.

4. Do you have the FSM? Because i think you can check fuel pressure at the rail with a borrowed tool from auto parts store. A Google search should help you find a how-to video or blog post most likely on this forum. If you test it, would at least confirm pump is OK. There's troubleshooting steps in that manual for many things and is available here if you goto the link and download it. Also, might just need a fuel filter, did you replace that yet?

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 09-23-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
1. 85 i think is too low. I think you want at least 87 but not higher because it's not a high compression engine. also the 10% ethanol gas is not great for this truck. Avoid it if possible.

2. Is the issue too low allowing it to die when you brake? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

3. How's your timing? A little advance helps with power. Sometimes just a tweak helps find is sweet spot.
Timing is dead on but I can check it again tomorrow. I'll start putting in that higher grade octane with my 93 I always put in the 85 from maverick and it ran fine but I'll change for this 89 I want it running smooth like it was this morning . And when it died this morning it had 3/4 of a tank still so I don't know what's up. I did replace some vacuum hoses but I can check again for leaks
Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
It will die sometimes when I brake ...
That's a classic sign of a vacuum leak in the brake booster or line to it. Examine carefully.

Quick Reply: I need help asap!!!!!