86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need help asap!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing power, muffler pop

So I recently purchased an 89 pickup tricked out with all the bells and whistles. Then owner before me had had the truck for along time where it sat then he rebuilt the motor and Added all the goodies. I've driven it quite a bit but what my concer is this. I had been driving for about four hours on the free way when te motor starts to act like something is holding it back losing power. And the muffler is making a loud side like something is hitting it from the inside out. I replaced the spark plug wires cause they were damaged and checked the tps and intake connections but still same story. Could it be the fuel pump after sitting so many years??? It isn't a constant thing either it will run good then it will sputter then go again sputter. Now it seams to sputter more then as if it was getting full power. Let me know what you guys think. I'm no pro and could use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance . It's a 22re motor!!

Last edited by 93RedKrawler; 09-14-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Make it more appealing
Old 09-14-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With this vague description many things come to mind, but my first guess: fuel filter.

- was the gas bad? Did it need a flushing?
- are the injectors working well?

If you're certain the gas was good, try adding a bottle of Techron, then observe performance. That stuff will overcome bad injector issue sometimes, while it's in the system. But you can't just feed it every tank, you'll need to service or replace the injector set.

If you aren't certain about the fuel, or now think it was bad, take the usual steps to address removing old gas.

Or -- i couldn't tell how much you've driven it. Just four hours, or lots and lots but every time after 4 hours this happens. In which case I'd suspect blockage at the cat? Unbolt it and see how it runs wide open? Good luck

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 09-14-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
With this vague description many things come to mind, but my first guess: fuel filter.

If you're certain the gas was good, try adding a bottle of Techron, then observe performance. That stuff will overcome bad injector issue sometimes, while it's in the system. But you can't just feed it every tank, you'll need to service or replace the injector set.

If you aren't certain about the fuel, or now think it was bad, take the usual steps to address removing old gas.

Or -- i couldn't tell how much you've driven it. Just four hours, or lots and lots but every time after 4 hours this happens. In which case I'd suspect blockage at the cat? Unbolt it and see how it runs wide open? Good luck

It's a brand new block new spark plugs so in just assuming that the injectors are new too. The only thing that looks like it's from the first motor is the intake manifold. Everything else is new or used parts. i bet I have around 24 hours behind the wheel of this new (to me) truck. And this was a long drive of about six hours and after four is when it started to act up, the fuel take was getting low at this point and that's when it started to lose power and sputter or bog. I filled it with gas but still the same problem. I'll check into the cat and I'll be back with updates
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM

It's a brand new block new spark plugs so in just assuming that the injectors are new too. The only thing that looks like it's from the first motor is the intake manifold. Everything else is new or used parts. i bet I have around 24 hours behind the wheel of this new (to me) truck. And this was a long drive of about six hours and after four is when it started to act up, the fuel take was getting low at this point and that's when it started to lose power and sputter or bog. I filled it with gas but still the same problem. I'll check into the cat and I'll be back with updates

I'll check the fuel filter. Is it possible that after sitting for do long and then getting it running that the even new filter could get clauged from all of the stuff in the tank?? If it wasn't flushed witch in betting wasnt
Old 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aww.... unfortunately i doubt you got anything new but the long block, if that. Usually an engine block replacement is due to a failed head gasket or rings/piston failure, right? So, everything else is usually swapped, because it was expected to be OK. You should have confirmed that before buying it. Did they tell you anything about what was new, or the history of the repairs right before sale?

If it sat a while, its highly UNlikely they flushed tank before selling to you. Most likely you sucked up bad crud in tank.

Try a bottle of dry gas and pray for a miracle, OR get a new fuel filter and prepare to drain and clean the fuel tank, and new injectors would be ideal. Google solutions for removing bad gas, this is a common thing, just a pain in the butt.

Good luck man.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM

Aww.... unfortunately i doubt you got anything new but the long block, if that. Usually an engine block replacement is due to a failed head gasket or rings/piston failure, right? So, everything else is usually swapped, because it was expected to be OK. You should have confirmed that before buying it. Did they tell you anything about what was new, or the history of the repairs right before sale?

If it sat a while, its highly UNlikely they flushed tank before selling to you. Most likely you sucked up bad crud in tank.

Try a bottle of dry gas and pray for a miracle, OR get a new fuel filter and prepare to drain and clean the fuel tank, and new injectors would be ideal. Google solutions for removing bad gas, this is a common thing, just a pain in the butt.

Good luck man.

The man I bought it from bought it from a kid that had thrown a rod In The truck. Truck sat then he made it his build . He gave me the receipts for the motor fuel cases gears etc etc. everything that is put on to the front of the motor is new. New exhaust header. It would probably be easier to make a list of things that weren't replaced. But I'm more interested in getting my truck back and running properly. I hesitate thinking that it has something to do with the fuel cause when I test drove it it was on empty already. Wouldn't it have sucked up the gunk better on a low tank when I very first drove it ??? I don't know maybe I'm completely wrong on this
Old 09-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, um i cant even begin to understand what is wrong. Knocking form inside muffler, and loss of power.

What made you just think, hey im gonna replace the spark plugs?

If you were driving 4 hours and and then all of a sudden you have loss of power i would think of a compression leak, or fuel delivery problem. The knocking sound, i think the least of your worries.

Try a compression check 1st then check the fuel pressure. IMO
Old 09-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Has it continued to run bad after your highway run?

I concur with a blocked or clogged cat or muffler is a possibility. You should then check the fuel system. Clogged fuel lines, filter, injectors, pump sock, etc. It could also be a faulty fuel pump or associated harness.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by kcaudill
Wow, um i cant even begin to understand what is wrong. Knocking form inside muffler, and loss of power.

What made you just think, hey im gonna replace the spark plugs?

If you were driving 4 hours and and then all of a sudden you have loss of power i would think of a compression leak, or fuel delivery problem. The knocking sound, i think the least of your worries.

Try a compression check 1st then check the fuel pressure. IMO
I replaced the spark plug wires cause some were cracked and the clips on some were broken making it so that they would easily fall out of the distributor.

I don't have a compression tester so I'll have to wait till I can borrow one from my friend
Old 09-14-2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by GeoRoss
Has it continued to run bad after your highway run?

I concur with a blocked or clogged cat or muffler is a possibility. You should then check the fuel system. Clogged fuel lines, filter, injectors, pump sock, etc. It could also be a faulty fuel pump or associated harness.
It has even just puttin around town on a test run to see if I've fixed it . Same story . And it doesn't sound very good cause it wants to go but it doesn't have as much power as it did it takes quite a bit more gas to get going
Old 09-14-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 93RedKrawler
It has even just puttin around town on a test run to see if I've fixed it . Same story . And it doesn't sound very good cause it wants to go but it doesn't have as much power as it did it takes quite a bit more gas to get going

Do you think that with it being a new exhaust, muffler and cat that the cat would break up and clog?? That's what your telling me but is it likely with a new system like that??
Old 09-14-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 93RedKrawler
Do you think that with it being a new exhaust, muffler and cat that the cat would break up and clog?? That's what your telling me but is it likely with a new system like that??
I missed the part about the exhaust system being new. That makes a clogged exhaust system less likely. I wouldn't completely rule out a clogged exhaust though. I'd just start trouble shooting elsewhere.

Clogged fuel system and compression would be at then be top of my list to check.

Good Luck, other people may have a better trouble shooting idea the I do.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 PM

So for everyone trying to help me out I did the compression test tonight and this is what I got starting with cylinder one threw four.

I'm not sure what they should be but there all pretty close. I guess the next thing to do is clean the fuel system . Any recommendations on how to do that??? I've never done one before but the ones I watch on YouTube are done with seafoam where they pour one third in the gas take one third in the oil and one third into the master colder vacuum line and let it sit for a time when they have poured it in while the truck is running and turning it off when the seafom is in and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then they start it up and rev it to about 3000 rpms till the smoke does away. Is this a good method for cleaning the fuels lines or is there another way??
Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it still sounds like the exhaust, even if new. while it's cool, go under and pound on the cat and muffler and see if you hear anything rattling inside. could even be a rag forgotten in the exhaust. i've seen that many times. next step, pull the valve cover and make sure #1 is firing on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. it can still run, but not well, and lots of burning into the exhaust, possibly cooking the cat out. double check correct firing order, too.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Dude- do like the one guy suggested and check your cat.
Hit it and if sounds like a babies rattle it fell apart and is plugged

The cat looks new or a rusted POS?

It is an easy check and free

Last edited by dropzone; 09-14-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Numbers look good, Check the cat/muffler.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by AKHeathen
it still sounds like the exhaust, even if new. while it's cool, go under and pound on the cat and muffler and see if you hear anything rattling inside. could even be a rag forgotten in the exhaust. i've seen that many times. next step, pull the valve cover and make sure #1 is firing on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. it can still run, but not well, and lots of burning into the exhaust, possibly cooking the cat out. double check correct firing order, too.
How do I check if it's foreign on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke??
Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I think he's pulling your leg. If you rotate the distributor 180°, ALL the plugs fire on the exhaust rather than compression stroke. But the engine won't run at all. (However, if you reverse two plug wires, the two remaining cylinders may limp it along -- so DO re-check that the plug wires follow the firing order.)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Dude- do like the one guy suggested and check your cat.
Hit it and if sounds like a babies rattle it fell apart and is plugged

The cat looks new or a rusted POS?

It is an easy check and free

So I just crawled under and was banging on the cat and muffler . Not a whole lot of sound came out of the cat but when I hit the muffler the cat started making a noise of lots of plastic balls rolling on each other . Didn't sound like a baby rattle.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the cat has come apart on the inside. Disconnect the cat and see if that solves the problem. If the cat has come apart, that will cause a restriction in the exhaust which will have a huge effect on perfofmance. Remember, an engine is just an air pump. More air in more air out increases performance the other way around decreases performance. A stopped up exhaust will definitely cause performance issues.

Quick Reply: I need help asap!!!!!