86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need advice.....

Noob here. 86' 4Runner 22re 5speed. not SR5. I have searched past threads but, none seem to lead me in a given direction. thank you for any help.

has compression 170psi cranking, spark, fuel. TPS adjusted plate is fully closed, also new. Fuel pump & pres. regulator new, VAF ohms out fine. I can get base timing of 5*btdc, 12* after pulling ckt. Cold start inj time switch is little high on OHM reading. Valves are adjusted. Injectors ohm out at 2.7 OHMS( could be clogged?. ) Igniter #053 passed check with 1.5v battery & 7volts at probe.

"""""Problem. Cranks over fine, won't start, will start sometimes and sometimes with foot to floor with pedal acting like you have a CARB. will only idle. No throttle, chucks, bucks, gags if you give throttle, seems like if you pinch off return for a few seconds and keep it closed you can get throttle, RPM and timing only for short while.""""" But I can go put my hand on top of fuel pump location and feel vibration of it working.

Fuel dampening pulsator who had it before me put a screw in it to keep it from leaking, I have new one ordered. will that mess up fuel pressure?

I pulled kick panels, EFI main relay is HOT to touch after 10 minutes and is new. ECU has a yellow marker highlighter says """yota 4runner computer"""" other side says 87 4runner also in hand writing.?????????

COR ohms out fine. Engine codes it is now throwing to me is 2,7, 12.

just bought it, it was 40*retarded and as soon as I replaced a few things all this happened. any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM

First off and excuse the dumb question but did you hook up the air intake 100%. The engine WILL NOT run without at least the mass air sensor hooked up.

Fuel pressure question: IDK

As for the engine codes: knock will go away when engine runs normal.
The air flow meter and throttle sensor makes me think the wires are loose or broke. I highly doubt ur ECU is fried. I had mine submerged in water the other day and it still works fine. good luck
Old 05-24-2009, 11:45 AM

it really sounds like a mass air flow sensor issue. I could be wrong but it has to be something rather simple.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM

you guys are good. I have a PDF of a 85 and I went out checking ohm values & volt values on ECU connectors, I found problems, so I OHM'd out each individual wire to VAF & TPS and continuity with reading of .3 ohms OKAY. I re checked the VAF and it failed the E2 to THA ohm reading I think it was 260 OHMS? but it read OFL.

I will let you know after I get one from AUTO ZONE in a few hours. Greatly appreciate the advice. A sincere thank you.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:46 PM

Would you suspect a Cold Start Inj. Time Switch to be faulty if idle does not come up when engine is cold? It OHMS out 15ohms above spec. Thanks,

For anyone who buys an older 4Runner/Truck. Check to make sure they did not put a screw in the bottom of your Fuel Pressure Dampening Pulsator. It will over work your fuel pump and you will have to buy a new one. The screw that some dumb guy put in there was to prevent it from further leaking, WELL !! it also kept the pulsator inside from dropping down and letting fuel into the fuel rail= hence lack of throttle, ETC... and the new VAF is awesome. Can't wait for tuesday when toyota gets the new part in.