86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I found a "hide-a-key" under my truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found a "hide-a-key" under my truck

I thought this was interesting. When I bought the truck in September the guy only gave me one key to it, an after market key. While I was under the truck working on the brakes I found a "hide-a-key" under my truck. It had an original like new "Toyota" key in it. The key did not have the shoulders rounded off at all from use.

The "hide-a-key" was covered with dirt and rust so bad I almost didn't see it. I realized there was a clump of something there and touched it and realized what it was. I wonder how many of the 28 years this truck has been a round it's been there?

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 09-02-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Score! Wow, now I'm curious, I got two aftermarket keys with mine.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am not real sure what your calling after market keys.

Being my newest Toyota is 15 years old all my lock cylinders have been rebuilt with new keys cut from new blanks.

As old as these trucks are your lucky that key works in any lock most likely there since new and forgotten all about being there.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
It had an original like new "Toyota" key in it. The key did not have the shoulders rounded off at all from use.
It's a good thing to have an original key in great condition.
I would take that key to a locksmith's and have a couple nice copies of it made then store the newly found key till I need another copy.

A copy just creates imperfections and a copy of a copy...
Old 02-25-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Odin
It's a good thing to have an original key in great condition.
I would take that key to a locksmith's and have a couple nice copies of it made then store the newly found key till I need another copy.

A copy just creates imperfections and a copy of a copy...
I got some really strange vibes* from this guy that I bought the truck from, that with the fact I only got one aftermarket key (Ace or something) for the truck and only one key for 'The Club' that came with it I was a little suspicious of him. Plus I already had a AAA card key http://cache.backpackinglight.com/ba...299_105057.jpg (which I no longer belong to) cut for the locks on my old truck so I switched locks with my old 85. While I had the passenger side cylinder out I took it to Toyota and had the cut me a new key from the code, cost $8.95 for the blank. I then took the new cut key to Ace Hardware and had two new keys cut and put the 'Toyota' key in the safe.

*Strange vibes may have come from the truck not being at all what he told me it was. Since it needed an engine (why I was buying it) I could not test drive it and find the problems.

grey
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I am not real sure what your calling after market keys.

Being my newest Toyota is 15 years old all my lock cylinders have been rebuilt with new keys cut from new blanks.

As old as these trucks are your lucky that key works in any lock most likely there since new and forgotten all about being there.
Yup, thought of that too! I don't know if mine has been changed. Still keyed alike, which a locksmith can do, and you can pull the key out of the ignition in any position. OP, not a nice "vibe" to get. I feel pretty lucky, third owner and a lot of records came with the sale.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by grumpin
Yup, thought of that too! I don't know if mine has been changed. Still keyed alike, which a locksmith can do, and you can pull the key out of the ignition in any position. OP, not a nice "vibe" to get. I feel pretty lucky, third owner and a lot of records came with the sale.

The passenger door cylinder has the key code on it. If you take that in to your Toyota dealer they will make you a new key (Cost me $8.95) for that code. That is what I did and it fixed my ignition key falling out in any position. It is about a 20 minute job to pull the door cylinder out and get that number. Hardest part is dealing with the moisture barrier in the door. Lock cylinder comes out just by unsnapping rod clamp and sliding out the cylinder backing plate that hold the cylinder in. Good time to lube window regulators!

If you should break that plastic rod clip, don't bother asking Toyota for one, they will only sell it with a new lock cylinder. Here, Ace Hardware has them in the hardware department. They are listed as Carburetor rod clamps. There are several sizes so either take the busted one or be prepared to buy at least one of each size.

If you decide to rekey or replace all the locks in you vehicle. The ignition cylinder is the most difficult to get... well sorta Put your best key* in your ignition and put it in the Accessories position and push in the little pin on the front of the cylinder assembly (you might have to remove the plastic cover that covers everything behind the steering wheel to find it.) and gently pull your key straight out and jiggle a little and you have removed your cylinder to replace or rekey. Installations is the reverse.

* Best to get your new key made first and use it.

Good luck,

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 02-25-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:09 PM

OK, thanks! Great info. I will go back in there. Was just in lubing everything the other day.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM

if you think you're cool, I found two hide-a-keys under mine today..
Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM

I have took all of my toyotas too toyota and got the key code cut from the vin number. Every time the new code cut keys worked so smooth and perfect, and none of these trucks have less then 250,000 on them. I didn't need too pull the lock but I did have too pay more like 15$ too get the code looked up from my vin. Totally worth it though. Man I love a nice working lock.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JKelly0117
if you think you're cool, I found two hide-a-keys under mine today..
Never said anything about being cool, just thought it interesting that I found an original key for my truck in a 'Hide-a-Key' that it appears somebody forgot.

Strange two "Hide-a-Keys" likely forgotten by two different owners. What did you find in the keepers?

grey?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 AM

I was just joking lol one hide a key was up in the original spare tire holder and the second was in the end of the frame both ignition keys were aftermarket made ones and I found two keys that went to the locks holding the 4runner rear sliders closed. Like how they lock ammunition counters
Old 02-28-2015, 12:03 AM

when purchased I received both originals.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:42 AM

I wonder how many vehicles out there are running around with forgotten 'Hide-a-Keys' under them?