Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I didnt know this was possible

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt know this was possible

I had a thread earlier today regarding backfire, and oil pouring from where the head meets the intake, and low and behold it is possible to successfully install a head gasket UPSIDE DOWN, and have no problem bolting it on, and still being able to fire the motor up and put it in time. The only thing you will have to deal with after 2 minutes of running is 5qts of oil on your garage floor and smoke so thick you cant see your hand in front of your face.

I just thought that was pretty cool. Word to the general public - dont be endorsed by a 30 pack of silver hats (keystone light bottles or any adult beverage) and in a hurry or sh-i-t will most likely go real wrong.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our forefathers warned us not to drink anything that would make us weak or silly....
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
I was dumbed down on dumb downed Colorado Kool-aid. 9.99 for a suitcase (30 pak) = a 24.00 dollar and 2 hour mistake. Stupid me.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:39 PM

hope that i didn't install mine upside down
Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do the oil and coolant passages line not line up?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow!

lol how did you install it upside down, hahaha... man thats a good one. It looks pretty funny if you flip it over. The holes dont line up to well =)
Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Do the oil and coolant passages line not line up?
It is really odd how the bolt holes allow the gasket to go on without bunching up but it was covering one of the oil passages causing it to leak extremely bad and also still allowing some coolant to get into the combustion chamber. Of course it looks like I have yoo-hoo all over my grage floor from the oil/coolant mix, but it is possible to achieve this rediculous feat.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 PM

do you have pictures of this?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by littlecommando
do you have pictures of this?
I will take a digital picture tomorrow of the back right corner where the hole for I think the HG cut out for the EGR is? There is a section of the rear HG that goes out from the regular pattern, and you can see where that is messed up, to bad we didnt cath this the first time, If I can, I will try to record a video of it. I dont want to run it long because it might be super low on oil.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang, that's a bummer dude. At least you seem to be taking it in stride!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 PM

ya you might wanna keep a close eye on your oil pressure if you decide to start it again, that head-gasket backwards wont let the oil drain back down to the pan, or it may not be getting to your head..
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoops. I have a beer limit more strict for wrenching than for driving for a reason!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't beer yourself then wrench, you wrench, do something incorrectly then have some beer to relax and no one, including yourself can blame it on the beer.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
you don't beer yourself then wrench
I do lol. Nothin better after a long day of work.. until you screw somethin up.. then theres nothin worse
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 AM

I love the Megadeth album cover broski. I know I shouldnt have drank but the thing was we just dropped a different motor into the truck that morning, timed it and it was running, so we started tipping bottles 12 oclock. Well, after it had ran for a bit the head gasket went out the first time.

We looked like a bad episode of Grey's Anatomy or House or something like that. We did the new HG in a little over an hour and a half (w/ 4 guys), and no one noticed the ultimate mistake. So, now we are going to try and get the new one on Thursday, UNINTOXICATED of course, in under 45 minutes.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol I did that to my 3vze. I was pretty wasted when I put my headgaskets in. Turns out I had the banks reversed. I wondered why it kept overheating....
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM

You see kids, this is why you drink and drive, that way you dont do this...
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 934rnr
Lol I did that to my 3vze. I was pretty wasted when I put my headgaskets in. Turns out I had the banks reversed. I wondered why it kept overheating....

So you were krunked enough to do it to both sides? Nice, thank god I only have one to put in.

Not to be uber gay, but I want to put in some mechanical gauges on the yota, to make sure when this does run I have psi, and dont overheat, but I want to do them on the A pillar. Who makes or can I use one made for other cars in the toyota line-up arounf the same year? Does anyone have one they're not using and want to sell? I do accept paypal.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
you don't beer yourself then wrench, you wrench, do something incorrectly then have some beer to relax and no one, including yourself can blame it on the beer.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Its like the first time you go to have sex at 12yrs old, do it unprotected, and get your rig prego. Just a bad situation all the way around, and no one to blame but you.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 11-11-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
So you were krunked enough to do it to both sides? Nice, thank god I only have one to put in.

Not to be uber gay, but I want to put in some mechanical gauges on the yota, to make sure when this does run I have psi, and dont overheat, but I want to do them on the A pillar. Who makes or can I use one made for other cars in the toyota line-up arounf the same year? Does anyone have one they're not using and want to sell? I do accept paypal.
check iamsuperbleeder's thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...morrow-158726/