86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I cant lock my truck???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant lock my truck???

I have searched the internet and even utilized our nifty search function here, and to no avail. There has been some heavy rain here so I am thinking that MIGHT have something to do with it. But yesterday I noticed I could not lock all my doors from the outside. So I reached in to lock on the door mini-console and that just clicked, and then I figured what the heck just do it by hand, and that would not work either. None of them will go down! So now I have an unlocked car in Houston and we all know how that will end. So I am hoping that someone has corrected this problem before so I can keep my sound system.

Any help would probably be awesome! No it would be awesome!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, you can't manually push down the lock on any of the doors?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps your wiring got wet juring the rain storm.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Something's probably bent. Pop off the door panel and take a look. Could be rusted too though. The water could have wahsed away the lube and can cause the joints for the locking mechanism to be binding.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM

No I cannot push them down manually. But I pulled the panels off of both the front doors and check the locking mechanisms and I put the key in the lock on the outside of the door and turned it to unlock and everything moved alright. And then I tried to lock it and of course it would not turn. My best guess is that the automatic door locks work on some sort of solenoid type switch thing. (Sorry about all the non-technical jargon lol) And well, while I was looking through the door I pressed the auto door lock on the armrest a couple of times and heard a click under the dash. So I checked and it was coming from the master relay box that all the door lock/windows go through. So I believe it is that part so I went and priced it...$387.00 Auto door locks are nice, but I think I might just try and switch it over to manual locks all around. I dont know what I would do if that sucker went out again.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:46 PM

Oh and I dont think it is water in the door. I have soaked my truck many many times. I have even driven out into the ocean to get mud off (yes I know stupid, but oddly enough it looks kinda cool on video) and have swamped my truck with muddy water before and I have never had this problem before. So once I get a new master relay for the doors if that does not work I am just going to fabricate some type of way to lock it manually.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM

I just encountered this on a 4 runner in the shop today. (strange enough it had texas plates on it) Anyways, all of the power lock cylinders were seized in the unlock position. This customer just opted for removal of the cylinders making it a manual lock 4runner. I could not even budge the lock cylinder soleniods when they were removed, strange.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:49 PM

I just came across this thread a few minutes ago while searching for info on central lock problems with 86-95 4runners. I am currently looking at a 90 4runner that is having the exact same problem that the original poster mentioned. Has anyone figured out exactly what is causing this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the only thing that is keeping me from buying this truck.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM

same thing has happened to me on my 89 ramcharger. was power locks. now its no locks. (shaved handles). anyways, the solenoids froze and wouldnt let the rest of the system move since it was holding it unlocked. one froze half way, the other froze locked. that sucked. had to pull the seat to pull the panel. anyways, you should be able to just unplug them, pop the rod or cable attached to it off and the few bolts holding it into the door. that should free stuff all up. then just get new ones from the junkyards and put them back to regain you power locks. hell, get a few sets for when it happens again. because it probably will.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 PM

Location: From San Francisco, but attending school in Pomona CA
the exact same thing happened on my 1990 runner, like 2 years ago..mine happened when i jump started the car after running the battery down. all frozen in the unlock position. i ended up removing the solenoids and having manual locks for a while but then eventually buying new door lock solenoids.. you have to be careful though, the stealership asks like 350 a piece or somthing for those things.. i pulled mine out of another 2nd gen only to find that the entire locking system changed in 1992 along with everything else.. it took alot of ghetto rigging to get the newer solenoids to fit. keep a eye out for some 1990 or 1991s at your local pick and pull, or just stick with manual locks.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 PM

good to know they changed. i might get a set to hook up just for the hell of it. i got a 92 base model pickup.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 AM

Anymore word on this anyone?

Thanks,
Nick