Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hydrolocked my engine

Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrolocked my engine

So theres a first time for everything right? Sucked in a serious amount of H2O and ive got a couple questions. Im tryingt o revive the engine and i pulled the spark plugs and tried to turn it over with no luck. Still stuck. I managed to tow it home and i took off the air intake chamber...

and the drivers side valve cover and this is where Im at now...

My question to you guys that have gone through this and also the guys that can tear down and rebuild a 3.0 in their sleep...The most fwd port in the middle is filled with fuel and water. If i was to clear this and move the truck and pop the clutch while it is in gear in the condition that its in now would that clear things up a bit and allow me to restart my engine. Or is it pretty much a sure thing that my valves or rods got bent when it locked? Because im getting various opinions from people here..However.. I trust in this forum much more than the people im asking here. Ideas..opinions..help please..
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM

should of just drained the oil and put some new in, pulled the plugs and tried to crank it over. if it does not crank you'd prob' want to go find a new engine. My brother in law did it to his 22re, rebuilt it but it was never the same after ( it got rebuild twice after profesionally before he junked it).
Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
been there, done that, with yee ol 22re

BUT, was lucky enough to be able to pull the plugs and turn it over a few times, ditched the trashed air filter and drove her home to promply change the oil, put in new plugs, oh and an air filter, lol
Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 PM

toyotas are notoriously bad with water, check your fuses, if you manage to get it to turn over put in new oil, and air filter, oil of course, plugs and check your cap and rotor for water, do a compression test before running it at all
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Joy..So should i try to keep taking it apart to find the "L" shaped rods or just drain out what i can, change the oil, throw in new spark plugs and try to crank it.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, you say it will not crank over?

What do you mean by that? Does the starter try to turn? Does the motor torque over on the mounts from the starter engaging?

Or does it not turn the starter?

If the starter is engaging and trying to turn the motor and you have pulled the spark plugs, that is bad news. The motor should turn with the spark plugs out, there should not be anything stopping it from rotating. This indicates that something is seized or broken in the rotating assembly.

If the starter won't spin, then you have an electrical issue and need to address that. The water in the intake is due to those valves being closed. You can siphon as much of that out of there as you can, but it really isn't a huge issue. Once it is rotating it will pump that stuff out the spark plug hole and into the exhaust.

Let us know what is going on with your starter.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've swamped mine a few times... just pull the plugs, crank it a few times to get the water out, and it usually runs ok... once I had to replace my vafm as a result, but I was still able to get it home without a tow... But....as stated above, if the starter engages, and just cant turn the motor.....thats bad news; otherwise, just let her dry out some, and start checking fuses.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 PM

well the starter sounds like its trying to kick it over but it immediately stops and i believe it just sounds like it doesnt want to turn over ( locked for some reason) which leads me to believe that something light be bent or jammed which is obviously bad news.. Im just hoping that its not turning over for some other reason im not aware of. But once i pulled the plugs and it still couldnt turn over i kinda knew int he back of my mind that something was bent. I just wanted to run it by you guys to see if theres something i was missing.. Im hurting for cash right now and a full rebuild is not gonna happen right away. So i guess that leads to the next question. Should i bother with a rebuild or should i start preparing for a transplant? I would obviously have a wait a lil while for this financially and i dont think i could go through with a full teardown and rebuild by myself so i would have to pay for some of the more mechanically complicated parts of it. Any suggestions to where i could begin searching for a decent used engine around miami?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Team420
I've swamped mine a few times... just pull the plugs, crank it a few times to get the water out, and it usually runs ok... once I had to replace my vafm as a result, but I was still able to get it home without a tow... But....as stated above, if the starter engages, and just cant turn the motor.....thats bad news; otherwise, just let her dry out some, and start checking fuses.
Thats one simple thing i havent done.. tomorrow after school ill check the fuses.. thanks..
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the starter does ANYTHING AT ALL..then its obviously getting power right?..which means if it wont turn over the motor..you likely have a bent rod..

i was lucky enough when i sunk my truck that i didnt suck up any water..

i had 6in of water inside the cab and my water was close to flowing into my carb..but luckily before the water got that deep the battery cut out and the truck died..
friend pulled me out, i dried the battery..replaced a fuse..put the cables back on it..and it turned right over..although it had a hard time starting..

blew ALOT OF WATER out of the muffler(when it died it sucked water up into the muffler) then after it blew out about 1 or 2 gallons of water..it sputtered then fired right up..i later drove it all the way home (about 35 miles) and it did just fine..

although that was over the winter..and i had to rebuild it not too long ago because of an ate up rod bearing??..lol..

i changed the oil..but i might have been too late..because of the drive home that night..the bearing probably already started to eat into the crank..and when i changed the oil the next day..it didnt do anything for it..lol
Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Damn man.. and it was running good too.. Now instead of lifting or some other kind of modding.. Imm have to go back to the basics.. A good engine goes before any lift or tires..lol
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Wish i had to loot for Superbleeders pickup for the meantime..Now im stuck DD the avalanche..I was actually thinking of finding a shop that could transplant the 5.3L into the 4runner but i dont think it would do too good offroading..
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if you really thing your starter isnt doing the truck put a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and try to turn it over manually but im about 99% sure you bent a rod
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 PM

yeah im thinking the same thing too..
XJDUBBER stated above that his buddy's engine got flooded and it was never the same even after 2 professional rebuilds..Anyone agree?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Try the breaker bar on the crank bolt first, see if you can turn it by hand. Is the block rocking over on the engine mounts when the starter tries to engage? It would if the engine was locked in side, the starter will twist the motor over, moving it violently. You could have water in the starter that is preventing it from fully engaging the solenoid.

As far as the long term function of the engine, well, it really wasn't designed to pump water, so, it won't do it any good. Grit in the rings/valve guides. Clogged vacuum lines. Corrosion on the cylinder walls if you don't get it out of there ASAP. All in all, not a good thing. But plenty of motors have recovered from this and run for years.

Good luck
Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Theres def. no violent movement going on there so imma take off the starter and check it out. And since i work from 7pm-7am the do school from 7:25-1pm i dont know how much time imma have to mess with it during the week so i guess ill get to it as soon as i can..
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by StangBanger
Theres def. no violent movement going on there so imma take off the starter and check it out. And since i work from 7pm-7am the do school from 7:25-1pm i dont know how much time imma have to mess with it during the week so i guess ill get to it as soon as i can..
Don't let it sit too long, a short shelf life on this one. Call in sick tomorrow, cough, cough, my motor caught a cold, I can't make it.

When the starter locks up, the torque will move the engine on the mounts, I have seen it a few times. If you are hearing the starter engage, but the motor does not move in the engine bay, my guess is that the starter is not fully engaging. Try the breaker bar on the crank bolt, you might be surprised at how easy it rotates with the plugs out. At least, I hope. Pulling for you, keep us in the loop.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Built2Grind
toyotas are notoriously bad with water, check your fuses, if you manage to get it to turn over put in new oil, and air filter, oil of course, plugs and check your cap and rotor for water, do a compression test before running it at all
Maybe Toyotas with the front DS headlight missing
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Lmao...
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks OUTLAWMIKE.. i think im feeling a cold comming..Will do on the starter tom. And will def. hit you guys up with an update..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydrolocked my engine