86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hydrogen fuel cell for better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hydrogen fuel cell for better gas mileage

First off...............Is there any merit to this "do it yourself Hydrogen fuel cell
hybrid idea" ?
If so , has anyone attempted it with a runner?

Thanks ,kenny S>
Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you actually want to run the engine off hydrogen? Or do you want to do a real electric hydrogen fuel cell (no combustion)

If you can come up with a means to store it and a way to manufacture it then you probably are past the two biggest challenges if you just want to run the engine off of hydrogen.

This is a huge project

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
here united nuclear mentions some stuff - but its not a hydrogen fuel cell - it just combusts hydrogen into h20
Old 05-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Do a search and you will find that there's another active thread talking about this same thing. Oh and someone is in the process of attempting to use hydrogen as a fuel supplement.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 PM

There seems to be a few sites claiming that you can use water with electric from your car battery with a do it yourself approach to turn your vehicle into a hybrid.
40 % better gas mileage claims.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM

where is something about using hydrogen? I have seen the HHO assist thread, but not one on this.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

$7000 - $10,000 for the conversion

At least they give you a free t-shirt
Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 PM

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=hambo

Check it out. Kenny S>
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sharrack
There seems to be a few sites claiming that you can use water with electric from your car battery with a do it yourself approach to turn your vehicle into a hybrid.
40 % better gas mileage claims.
Beware of claims from the people who are selling the product, I wouldn't believe any until I got some independent studies.

There is a lot of research into adding hydrogen to gas or diesel engines, and they have been getting increased efficiency, though not 40% more. The studies I've looked at are more like 15-25%. The problem is most of them are done on stationary engines using an outside source of hydrogen, not the tiny amounts that can be generated with a small electolysis unit on a vehicle.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM

if that is what your looking into just follow the two HHO threads....

Otherwise it's a huge project if you want this to actually work.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 PM

100% BS!! Buy a smaller car if you want to save money. The perpetual machine has not been invented yet...........
Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM

google stan meyer.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the OEMs are not using this product, beware. The OEMs would love to mass produce high MPG cars, the tech is just not there yet for fuel cells that cost under 6 figures, as well as electric cars and other alternative energy powertrains.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where's my ZPE generator?
(zero point energy, for you that don't know)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 AM

Have you ever heard of HHO fuel that has got to be the best way to save on gas prices.? Imagine the savings. It will cost you about $160, or two tanks of gas to install an HHO conversion kit

Hydrogen Car Kit - Save Money and Improve MPG Massively
Hydrogen car kit empowers your car to run on water and avoid oil as fuel. A vehicle however will not be able to run on water alone. There needs to be a mixture of gasoline and water to enable it to run smoothly.

Even the Water Fuel Conversion Kits - How Using Water As Fuel Helps Cut Your Gas Consumption Recently,there is increased awareness among many drivers of a technology that uses plain water tosupplement the cars' gasoline consumption. Called a water fuel conversion kit, it is a simpleadd-on to your current car engine that uses your car battery to carry out an electrolysis on water to produce Hydroxy gas (HHO). This Hydroxy gas is used to supplement
the burning ofgasoline in the car's engine.

Hydrogen generator kit for car can be better than gasoline or oil additives to raise gas mileage. When you make or do it on your own, you can save money on gas but will save lots of dollars on the kit and reproduce the system for other automobiles on your own.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by sweethe
Have you ever heard of HHO fuel that has got to be the best way to save on gas prices.? Imagine the savings. It will cost you about $160, or two tanks of gas to install an HHO conversion kit

Hydrogen car kit empowers your car to run on water and avoid oil as fuel. A vehicle however will not be able to run on water alone. There needs to be a mixture of gasoline and water to enable it to run smoothly.

Even the Water Fuel Conversion Kits - How Using Water As Fuel Helps Cut Your Gas Consumption Recently,there is increased awareness among many drivers of a technology that uses plain water tosupplement the cars' gasoline consumption. Called a water fuel conversion kit, it is a simpleadd-on to your current car engine that uses your car battery to carry out an electrolysis on water to produce Hydroxy gas (HHO). This Hydroxy gas is used to supplement

Hydrogen generator kit for car can be better than gasoline or oil additives to raise gas mileage. When you make or do it on your own, you can save money on gas but will save lots of dollars on the kit and reproduce the system for other automobiles on your own.
I'm quessing you work for, or are somehow affiliated with one of these companies. If it works how come fleet vehicles don't use it? Such as cities, post office, cops? It's all a big scam.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Its interesting to see how different people react to technology. You have to understand that even if a car running on water is feasible the OEM's are not necessarily going to just jump on it. If all cars suddenly used no gasoline what would happen to the oil industry? Oil is a huge business and they have their influences on the auto industry, I would suspect.

The other things is every technology has problems. Look at internal combustion engines in general - they waste a huge amount of energy in excess heat. If your car runs off of water, how do you keep your fuel from freezing? Maybe that's not an issue in San Francisco but in Fairbanks its a huge problem. The other thing is pure water is hard to come by, and how are all of those mineral contaminants going to affect your hydrogen engine?

I know almost nothing about the tech here but you have to understand that every problem is multifaceted and it takes many years for the general acceptance of even a simple tech upgrade like going to CD's from Cassettes. The widespread availability of technical and operational support for a water fuel engine is probably not in place, and just dumping thousands of them into the comsumer base without good support is not sensible. Conversely, putting in the support without a large number of engines out there doesn't make investment sense either.... You get the point I hope.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sweethe

Please provide the physics, governing equations, and energy balance behind this. Oh, and independent drive cycle analysis wouldn't hurt.

Until you can produce this, the claims are empty and meaningless.

Frank
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM

I wonder how well this works, I mean water breaks up to hydrogen and oxygen. Both extremely combustable. I'd think adding it to your combustion process would be similar to nitrous i.e. into the air intake or plenum. As far as the freezing thing I think you are supposed to add some glycerin if I'm not mistaken. I've been thinking about doing this too, part as experiment, part financial, part messing around with my truck. Just dunno where to plumb the stuff in? Down the carb throat, before the filter? Post carb?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ake-browns-gas

This pretty much sums it up in layman's terms are far as the physics issues is concerned.

I haven't seen one claim backed up with dyno verified drive cycle testing. Setting up a controlled test environment is not hard or expensive. Some data logging equipment is required as is interfacing with the vehicle's CAN network to see how much fuel it is injecting. Or, you could weigh the gas tank. This testing is done on every vehicle model sold. The reason it isn't done here is because it will debunk the claim of better fuel efficiency.

Frank
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright, I think you guys are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As I understand it, the "HHO assist" is injecting hydrogen and oxygen into the intake. In the combustion chamber, the "HHO" ignites nearly instantly when the spark occurs and assists the fuel/ air mixture to ignite quicker. The theory makes sense to me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHSYy5zPfrQ[/youtube]

Quick Reply: Hydrogen fuel cell for better gas mileage