Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how often (if ever) do you think about selling your truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how often (if ever) do you think about selling your truck

i've owned my 89 4x4 ex cab pickup w/ 22re for about 2 months now and as i do more and more work on it, i realize how deep in the hole i am for a truck that is almost 20 years old and has 289,000 miles on the body. i paid way too much for it and i've done nothing but dump money into it (i know, common problem).

i'm starting to feel like i could get rid of it and take a bit of a loss and spend two or three thousand more for a 4 or 5 year old truck with 4wd and a v8 that would suit my needs better.

anyone ever feel the same way?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope i love my 22res i have been driving them ever since i was 16 and im 26 now.. i have 2 90s 22 re runners that im gonna drive for a long time and buy another one if they ever die
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure where you're coming from.
I've got an '88 4Runner, 22RE with 237,000 on the odo and a '91 p'up 2wd 22RE with 193,000 and I get hit up at least once a week on each of them by people that want a work truck. We've put about 2500 into the runner and about 1500 into the p'up for lifts and engine work (new timing chain on the '91).
I could never sell either of my vehicles, knowingly, to someone that just wants to beat them up.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Ive owned my 86 4runner 22r since i was 16 and im now turning 20, only 4 years and this truck is hooked on me for life. I paid about $2000 for mine and it had 175k on it, now its hitting almost 250k. Ive put a very good bit of $$ into the truck to keep it running, even though i own a 96 nissan pickup also, i still drive the 4runner every day.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM

I agree. Wait... does taking them off-road count as using them as a work truck aka beating them up? If so I'm a hypocrite. As much as I love my truck and don't want to see it abused just for work I think that it was made to be off-road and abused in that way. I don't know. To me a lift is pointless unless you plan to use it to fit bigger tires so that you can have a more capable truck off-road. To me, if I lifted it and never took it through some trails and rocks I would be just as superficial as those people that buy a brand new SUV or truck and jack it up to the sky just so they can look cool cruising the mall and the thing never sees dirt of any kind much less a trail or rocks. Sorry for the rant and the thread-jack.

Back to the original question. The only time I've thought about selling my truck is for an FJ40. Other than that, never crossed my mind. Why buy something that in all likelihood would probably be less reliable and/or less capable?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4WDYotaShop
I agree. Wait... does taking them off-road count as using them as a work truck aka beating them up? If so I'm a hypocrite. As much as I love my truck and don't want to see it abused just for work I think that it was made to be off-road and abused in that way. I don't know. To me a lift is pointless unless you plan to use it to fit bigger tires so that you can have a more capable truck off-road. To me, if I lifted it and never took it through some trails and rocks I would be just as superficial as those people that buy a brand new SUV or truck and jack it up to the sky just so they can look cool cruising the mall and the thing never sees dirt of any kind much less a trail or rocks. Sorry for the rant and the thread-jack.
No, simply taking it off road does not count as using them as a work truck and beating it up.
There are people that see a truck built for off road and think it will last and there are people that work off road and get the same because they can beat it up.
AND then there are other people that go off road and want a reliable truck.
The difference is in the mind-set.
The former only wants something to get them there and if it breaks, oh well- get another one; the latter want something to get them there and if it breaks, they fix it and keep going on and on.

I've worked hard enough on my trucks. Too hard even to see someone else break it, treating it carelessly.
Originally Posted by 4WDYotaShop
Back to the original question. The only time I've thought about selling my truck is for an FJ40. Other than that, never crossed my mind. Why buy something that in all likelihood would probably be less reliable and/or less capable?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sometimes think about selling the 2nd gen and getting a 3rd gen with the 3.4. But then I remember all the awesome mods like 4.88 diffs, OME suspension, new clutch, etc etc, the lists go on and on, years of love into a truck! An engine swap would be the ultimate equalizer, if you can make it cost effective, it's like a heart transplant into your perfect truck. I don't know what that would be like yet but I can imagine that it will be kewl if it ever happens!! maybe an option for you too
Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
No, simply taking it off road does not count as using them as a work truck and beating it up.
There are people that see a truck built for off road and think it will last and there are people that work off road and get the same because they can beat it up.
AND then there are other people that go off road and want a reliable truck.
The difference is in the mind-set.
The former only wants something to get them there and if it breaks, oh well- get another one; the latter want something to get them there and if it breaks, they fix it and keep going on and on.

I've worked hard enough on my trucks. Too hard even to see someone else break it, treating it carelessly.

I totally agree with you. There are those people that don't have the pride that I have that I'm driving a Toyota and that I know that my truck is better than a comparable "heep".

Yeah this is my 3rd 4WD Toyota and counting. So I'm pretty much hooked, so hooked that I want to open my own 4WD shop here in Austin, TX. So I'm a little biased.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Ive thought about buying another truck... But never selling
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM

EVERY DAMN DAY. just cant bring myself to, too many memories
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering I cant figure out wtf my vibration is in my truck, its been crossed my mind alot.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

I've never thought about selling my runner. I will keep it until I die....or it dies...hopefully I'll go first.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM

I hope one day my kid (which I don't have yet - I don't think), drives my Yota to high school.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Considering I cant figure out wtf my vibration is in my truck, its been crossed my mind alot.
The vibration is not in your truck... repeat after me...
the vibration is not in your truck...
the vibration is not in your truck...
the vibration is not in your turck...
nothing has crossed your mind
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Over the last 15-years, the only vehicle I regretted selling was my '91 extended cab, manual, 22RE engined pickup. And I've had some pretty cool cars. Despite it not being a practical baby-seat vehicle (which was necessary at the time), I still hated to see it go.

Now that I can afford an inexpencive third vehicle and can point to a NEED for a smaller SUV... I grabbed an older 4Runner without hesitation. I see it staying in the family for some time. Its paid for and cheap to insure... so I can justify paying here and there to keep it going for years to come.

Last edited by msh441; 05-20-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 PM

i think about selling my runner everytime it breaks (its an 87). then i fix it and slap myself for having such thoughts. i could never sell it.

its been extremely good to me. its just that on a 20+ year old vehicle, you not only have to worry about normal maintenance, but other things as well, such as the electrical, etc. sensors go bad. relays go bad. things that really piss you off.

but i could never sell it.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 PM

I have to say no I don't ever think of selling the 2 I have now but I am all ways thinking of the next one I want to get
Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 AM

Dude I can feel you. My 86 runna has been stripped in the garage for a couple years now. The new motor is sitting on the crate, with brackets and the like slowly being put back on. New front fenders are on the roof, mice inside and bags of connectors all over. Pissed at myself for not getting it done. But you know what, its mine, and I own it. Piece by piece I will get it done. Wife, kids, girlfriend, Rugby, work........not everyone can dedicate the time needed.

Looking at it pains me sometimes.................keep breathing.

Krustyroo
Kenosha WI
Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM

after all the work I put in my truck, the blood, sweat, and grease. My truck is not just a truck anymore its part of my family, selling my truck would be like selling my brother.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Yep it will be getting sold later this summer. I don't really need a truck right now, and when I do need one I will be getting one with more interior space and power (more power isn't too hard lol)

Rob

Quick Reply: how often (if ever) do you think about selling your truck