Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How much time do I have??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
How much time do I have??

I noticed some grease on the lower ball joint this morning and low and behold the rubber boot cover is ripped apart. My question is..I have a 200 mile trip to make (some of it offroad) and I am wondering if it is possible to baby this thing along until my parts get here. I have new ones on the way.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you have manual hubs, you'd be fine with them unlocked.
if not, it'll probably make a 200 mile trip anyways, but will need repaired soon.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2. Not sure if they would last while in 4wd though.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
yep, so long ar you don't have ADD (the hubs, not the condition), you'll be fine so long as you don't have to put it in 4wd for too long.

My left-inner CV boot has had about a 3 inch long rip in it since I got my 91 PU, but having manual hubs and leaving them unlocked and only locked in when really needing them, I have yet to even hear them start clicking or anything; I just push some grease in the hole evrytime I'm under the truck. I'm just going to ride them out till they grenade, and when they do, I'll replace them both, cause I far as I know their originals...

That hole looks a little large to even try to get some grear to stay in there though. You could get away with just replacing the boot, but you have to think about 2 things if you decide to do that...

1) If you're not exactly sure how long it's been ripped open like that, or if you put it off for even a few weeks, you could develope quite a bit of dust and dirt in there, and you'd be locking that in there if you just replaced the boot, and grits of dirt and dust are not a good lube for metal-to-metal parts; that CV you just put a new boot on will be toast in a little while...

2) You have to tear the ENTIRE CV assymbely out to even replace that boot, so it would benefit you in both ways just to put in a whole new (or reman'ed) assymbely.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just replaced my CV's tuesday. both sidesd of mine were ripped on the top boot. i drove probably a good 300 miles with them like that. but not non stop or anything like that just normal drivin. mine jsut made a REALLY bad constant loud thumpin sound
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
yep, so long ar you don't have ADD (the hubs, not the condition), you'll be fine so long as you don't have to put it in 4wd for too long.

My left-inner CV boot has had about a 3 inch long rip in it since I got my 91 PU, but having manual hubs and leaving them unlocked and only locked in when really needing them, I have yet to even hear them start clicking or anything; I just push some grease in the hole evrytime I'm under the truck. I'm just going to ride them out till they grenade, and when they do, I'll replace them both, cause I far as I know their originals...

That hole looks a little large to even try to get some grear to stay in there though. You could get away with just replacing the boot, but you have to think about 2 things if you decide to do that...

1) If you're not exactly sure how long it's been ripped open like that, or if you put it off for even a few weeks, you could develope quite a bit of dust and dirt in there, and you'd be locking that in there if you just replaced the boot, and grits of dirt and dust are not a good lube for metal-to-metal parts; that CV you just put a new boot on will be toast in a little while...

2) You have to tear the ENTIRE CV assymbely out to even replace that boot, so it would benefit you in both ways just to put in a whole new (or reman'ed) assymbely.
Thanks for that!!
I have a new kit on the way. I am about to tear the $@#& out of the front end. I just need to use this truck this week. There has been such an awful pounding sound when I go over bumps I figured I better do something quick.
thanks again
D
Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The boot keeps grease in an water/ dirt out. Jerry rig something. Try cleaning off the boot as best you can, and duct taping it up, that should last 300mi.

Here's how you change the boot when you get back. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...v-boot-156096/

Last edited by Matt16; 10-12-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by yoder519
i just replaced my CV's tuesday. both sidesd of mine were ripped on the top boot. i drove probably a good 300 miles with them like that. but not non stop or anything like that just normal drivin. mine jsut made a REALLY bad constant loud thumpin sound
I have the same "thumping sound." In fact it is so bad, when I go to sleep at night right before I fall asleep that "thumping sound" reverberates through my head and keeps me awake for a few minutes. Then I go to sleep.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahaha now thats funny stuff right there boys. i kinda got used to mine after bout a week. people would always stare at me as i was thumpin down the road and i thought " oh yea you like this yota dont ya" then it hit me why they were staring.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Guess I got lucky, I had tears in all 4 boots for over a year at least before I got around to replacing them never developed a grease leak or thump.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
just noticed one of mine was ripped again, and that was over 2 months and about 1500 miles ago... cant afford to replace them right now and i have no "thumping" so im just gonna ride it out...
Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
both of mine gave out on me two weeks ago, havent got around to replace them yet. I figure no rush until it starts to snow here
Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Had one rip on me as well. Do your best to clean out the visible dirt and tape it up. Mine lasted a month like that.

When you take it all apart check the surfaces. If they are not all marked up you'll be OK to replace the boot, otherwise, get a used CV, $10.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 PM

I ran 2 years on a ripped open boot. Wheeling, mud, water, you name it. No funny noises or vibrations up until I replaced it, they're pretty tough. I've had one ripped open now for about 2 months but I couldn't care less about it since I have a SFA waiting to go in. Having manual hubs definitely made all that possible.