Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much is missing off this tchain cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is missing off this tchain cover?

I get my cover off today to find that the inner lower end that surrounds the lower sprocket had lost a fight with a loose chain..I dont know what a fresh one is supposed to look like there, what was left still held the chain on the lower sprocket..how much is gone here? Im kinda broke and thinking of rocking it again with a new tensioner and steel backed guides. The engine jumped a few teeth one day, and yes they do bend valves..I had 3 exhaust valves that I could see light through for anyone still wondering about that..And the pic of the grooves getting deep is just to show the damage, it didnt leak coolant into the oil yet that far in.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Dont even reuse it, check engnbldr for a replacement
Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
Dont even reuse it, check engnbldr for a replacement
Ya it would bother me to have to reuse it, I know in engnbuildrs kit its only 30 more for that option..I just have a good stock chain and cam sprocket already..I could get his whole kit for what a cheap cover cost at a parts store here..Im gonna call them on monday and see what he wants for his...It sux doing this on a low budget, I couldve just rebuilt the whole thing this far into it..the damaged parts dont usually come in contact with the chain unless theres a tension problem so I thought it should still be functional and avoid fitting issues I might have with an aftermarket cover.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
You still have to drop the pan, done that yet? ............

Anytime you have guides snap off and ESPECIALLY if the chain has worn through the cover and pieces might have fallen in the pan, ....the pan's gotta be dropped, pick up tube cleaned, etc.... What truck is this, exactly?

You're having the head serviced right now?(or you're doing it?) etc., right?

The Timing cover is 48$, free shipping to CA(just got one a couple weeks ago along with the timing kit/steel guide-driver side.) Should definitely replace the tensioner and ALL else while in there.

I hear ya on the broke thing, .....sucks to have a fairly big fix and have to mickey mouse things...this is one you just can't afford to do that on, ya know?

PS> The aftermarket cover is from Rock; through engnbldr.com, and honestly, it was PRISTINE! I held it up, measured every possible thing I could, it's an exact casting, which I'm sure they paid for through Toyota. Yours is damaged, period, and once it's compromised, you should NEVER trust it again, ...OEM or not.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Ya I'll never be comfortable with knowing I only saved 50 bucks and theres used parts holdin on..It looks like ill just get the whole kit for 89$ and free shipping you really cant beat that..Im nervous about using the aftermarket chain..mines only got 150k on it and it passes the micrometer test..147mm long on any 17 link group..its cause I think someone posted their chain broke from the kit.

I'll drop the pan for sure and get all that stuff out, bits of aluminum now I guess! just was waiting till I was done with all the mess dropping in there from the teardown so I can flush it down!

And ya the head is out getting done this weekend, and I went to the dealer for the headgasket, the stock one made it to 150k and was lookin good still.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Oh ya and its a 92 short box, reg cab, 2wd..my first yota had it 14 years now so the kid is eyein it now that shes about to get her license..otherwise id just yank this engine and find a 4wd to drop it in and get out there with it..

I have taken this one off the ground and got some rowdy days out of it..it had a body lift and 30's that I took off after they wore out..hated the lift, and got 70 more miles a tank on stock tires so, its just a daily runner now.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that cover is toast, i used the cover from enginbiulder on my motor, everything was fine, 30k miles on the motor now and still going strong
Old 02-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by onerunn
Ya I'll never be comfortable with knowing I only saved 50 bucks and theres used parts holdin on..It looks like ill just get the whole kit for 89$ and free shipping you really cant beat that..Im nervous about using the aftermarket chain..mines only got 150k on it and it passes the micrometer test..147mm long on any 17 link group..its cause I think someone posted their chain broke from the kit.

I'll drop the pan for sure and get all that stuff out, bits of aluminum now I guess! just was waiting till I was done with all the mess dropping in there from the teardown so I can flush it down!

And ya the head is out getting done this weekend, and I went to the dealer for the headgasket, the stock one made it to 150k and was lookin good still.
Call Tod, man,.... he'll explain the Chain Quality when you talk to him(I can't remember, but something about double rolled something doohicky with a paddywack give the dog a bone thingamadoer! hahaha) Seriously, I don't think you should re-use the old chain, buddy. Micrometer testing doesn't always tell you of the general stress that metals can go through, etc. And YES, I know, guys, ...the OEM chains have gone 250K, etc., etc., ....just giving my Humble Opinion.... I'd feel more comfortable replacing ALL of it while in there.

(Don't forget to measure the clearances on the guide and drive gear of the oil pump, etc., etc., ya know? It's another part that is easily replaced while in there.....not sayin ya need one, just sayin, ya know? lol)

Best wishes, bud!

Mark
Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
that cover is toast, i used the cover from enginbiulder on my motor, everything was fine, 30k miles on the motor now and still going strong
Cool well im sold on it then, everyone says they fit well from the threads I found tonight...maybe an ugly beer holder then..
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Cool well im sold on it then, everyone says they fit well from the threads I found tonight...maybe an ugly beer holder then..
hahaha! Mine is hanging on my wall of shame in my garage side work room. lol. Like the cupholder idea, but it's a lil bulky for that, yeah? lol.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Call Tod, man,.... he'll explain the Chain Quality when you talk to him(I can't remember, but something about double rolled something doohicky with a paddywack give the dog a bone thingamadoer! hahaha) Seriously, I don't think you should re-use the old chain, buddy. Micrometer testing doesn't always tell you of the general stress that metals can go through, etc. And YES, I know, guys, ...the OEM chains have gone 250K, etc., etc., ....just giving my Humble Opinion.... I'd feel more comfortable replacing ALL of it while in there.

(Don't forget to measure the clearances on the guide and drive gear of the oil pump, etc., etc., ya know? It's another part that is easily replaced while in there.....not sayin ya need one, just sayin, ya know? lol)

Best wishes, bud!

Mark

Thanks, ya I want to do a good job, ONE TIME, cause a 22re intake looks like a science fiction battle raging in there all apart, it wasnt too bad but can I just have a carb and ditch this computer please..I want to get a damn 22r intake and swap!

And by clearance of the guide, you mean the chain guides? clearance is... 0.0 gone south to swim, if thats what you mean... ill look up the pump specs too.. I was just counting on the low mileage that the pump would be ok, but its right here, i'll test it for the peace of mind.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks, ya I want to do a good job, ONE TIME, cause a 22re intake looks like a science fiction battle raging in there all apart, it wasnt too bad but can I just have a carb and ditch this computer please..I want to get a damn 22r intake and swap!

And by clearance of the guide, you mean the chain guides? clearance is... 0.0 gone south to swim, if thats what you mean... ill look up the pump specs too.. I was just counting on the low mileage that the pump would be ok, but its right here, i'll test it for the peace of mind.
Yeah, was just speaking of the oil pump gear clearances. Even the Haynes has it all in there, specs, etc. You probably wouldn't need the gears, I think that's almost NEVER, lol.... but when the pump wears in it can have a lil slop between the pump wall and outermost part of the gear(where it rides floats along the wall of the pump). there are a few tests in there for the oil pump, drive spline, etc.

And yes, I get it, buddy.... after ALL I'VE BEEN THROUGH? lol... Trust me, "This is a 22re, it'll run upside down with no oil for an hour, just drive it" doesn't cut it anymore with me, hahaha.

BTW, ....yeah, "give me a carb" is a thought...but it's no guarantee you wont have all kinds of complicated issues with that system, ...and I think the RE is a lil better on Gas and longevity, no? Besides, removing the intake while you have it all apart is cake, ....and just do a seafoam treatment or regular fuel injection system stuff that's recommended(Toyota actually has stuff, too, ......it's only 500 CAJILLIAN DOLLARSSSSSSSSS! lol, JK.... it's not that much). I've had some issues, but mostly due to machinist or personal err... but I KNOW once I'm done it'll run another MANY miles trouble free...... I've had the 22r twice, prefer the RE.. But many don't, I hear ya, lol.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While you have a it apart check all the oil ports. My buddys truck had issues with the tensioner and come to find out he had some gunk built up inside the ports. Slowed the oil going to the tensioner causing a loose chain.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by takeitoutgetitdirty
While you have a it apart check all the oil ports. My buddys truck had issues with the tensioner and come to find out he had some gunk built up inside the ports. Slowed the oil going to the tensioner causing a loose chain.
YA my tesioner is all worn down with 3mm grooves in it and im SURE it was an issue with that thing...the chains not even stretched out of spec and it got loose enough to do all that damage..or had chunks of chain guides fallin in..

Whats a good way to clear em out? I have a weak compressor, 40 psi..I plan on taking the pickup line off while the pans dropped...Is there something I can find describing the passage routes?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He took some bailing wire and slowly went inside to holes. He was able to get some of the junk out. When he got everything back together he used some engine flush to try and finish loosening the gunk. So far no problems and hes put a few thousand hard miles on it.