86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How Much Air Time Have You Gotten?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much Air Time Have You Gotten?

One thing I've never done, is launch the swampthing. How much abuse can a stock ifs with upgraded tbars take from a hard landing? Or rather, how hard of an impact can it take before you bend bumpstops and cv's snap? Gonna be goin down to the coast sometime in september for my company's deep sea fishin trip, and there's alot of dunes down there perfect for launch a truck on, and have always wanted to take a killer picture of the swampthing sailing through the air with streamers of sand falling from the tires, with me holdin my beer out the window screamin YEEHAW!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've launched a foot or 2 in the air on mine have'nt broke it yet
Old 06-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
a few inches?
Im scared
Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Ah well I was think a good little bit more than a foot or so. I'm talkin "Is he gonna hit the sand, or we gonna be fishin the Swampthing outta the ocean!?" type jump. At lease like 60mph, 10+ feet in the air or something...

General Lee style!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well depends if you can get a good takeoff.. ive seen an 89" yota take about 12 foot jump in the air and land in mud it had a 4" lift i think
Old 06-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

whatever you do. GET a damn video!
swampthing you are clear for takeoff
Old 06-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

one of the mods on here has his avatar pic of him catching some great air, check out midiwal.

lee
Old 06-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If a solid axle can go this high and far... I am sure your IFS can go even higher and further...

Click me:

... since I have heard elsewhere on YT that straight axles are far worse for jumping than IFS.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM

shoot, i got about 6 inches of air with a stock 94 2wd, with 28inch tires. it rubbed a lil when i came down, but c'mon. lol.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
If a solid axle can go this high and far... I am sure your IFS can go even higher and further...

Click me:

... since I have heard elsewhere on YT that straight axles are far worse for jumping than IFS.
lol. those where some nasty jumps. thats a little more than ive done. i wonder if i could get some vids taken and downloaded. course the girl whos driveway we jump on is outa the state for a week, soooo...

hehehe. not for a while.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Ive taken mine off the road closure dirt mounds in VA National Forest and have seen some crazy air which has sent me sliding into embankments. Dude, my 1990 4runner jumps awesome. It had a career of one solid summer of craziness when I was living in a cabin the forest all summer, and wouldn't ya know it... at the end of the summer I was doing a run through the woods and drifted this blind corner that I was so familiar with.... and didn't know that the loggers had taken their tracked machines back out to another location thus tearing up the normal path by dislodging a number of large rocks in to the other side of that turn. When i drifted the corner, my rear right wheel slammed into a boulder and the 4runner immeadiately stopped the drift but instead the energy was imparted to the vehicle and rocked me up on two wheels and paused a the balance point and then slammed back down on all 4 wheels. I felt like dang Im lucky. My adrenaline was still pumping so fast that on the trek back I started hitting the mounds faster, when I took them at speed, the landings would be flush with all 4 wheels sliding right back into to driving when hitting the ground, but then after a bit of a down hill run and around a corner the last mound I hit at 35 and landed maybe 15 feet past the mound maybe saw 2-3 feet of air above the ground surface at peak height I was covering. Then landed and slid with no controll maybe 5 feet into a tree with my driver side ass end. Luckily 2nd gen 4runners back ends are built like tanks so i just put a little 'tussin on it, and counted my losses. But yeah it is a rush. But since that day ole blue has retired from rally racing and jumping. But I took it in to about 3 different mechanics shops and was like look man I need you to look at this thhing more than just at the surface. Please I know there is something wrong with it, because there just has to be. There is no way I did what I did to it all summer and not screw something. But everyone of them said it was fine. I replaced the shocks anyway, because I knew otherwise that something had to be wrond with the shocks. Two were blown but as far as bending anything or snapping anything, nope. I wouldn't do it again but hey they sure can build them toyotas.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:33 PM

the ifs is definately better for jumping the load of impact is dispersed to three axles pending smooth landing. I have seen most people do the whole "alligator chomp" with their front end because they take jumps at moderate speed thus causing their ass end to not get enough lift and ultimatelybringing their front end down to slam into th surface bounce back and down again. go big or go home. either way i have done both to my runner, and nothing has phased the ifs
Old 06-16-2007, 05:48 PM

yea. always wanna land either at the same time with all wheels or slightly ahead in the back. nose down aint good. lol. but then again im sure most people would say air is never good, but hey, what are trucks for right?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:03 PM

exactly, you never know what your trucks capabilities are unless you push the envelope, just try not to open it. But if you do wreck it, now you know. I have definately learned a lot of its capabilities by putting myself in the "oh ☺☺☺☺" situations, yotas have always got me out,,,,, knock on wood
Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjIB7ke7rg&NR=1

HAHAHAHAHA even though its not a yota that guy made a pretty hysterical video with it
Old 06-16-2007, 06:46 PM

AHHHHHH HAHAHHAA. That was almost the exact thing I had in mind, what with the dukes of hazard theme playin in the background! But yeah, I'll definitely take a vid when I do it. If only I could find a way to have some chicks in bikini's in the back holdin onto the roll bar while doin the jump, without havin em get hurt. Aw well screw it, tuck and roll baby!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have done it before, there is this road near me where you can fly a bit..my T100 took it fine. I also caught some air on some washboards, that wasnt to fun, came down hard but no damage.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Wait I remember I jumped off a curb into a parking lot, slamed the front end down HARD. that was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_5cq0iPJs
BRAAAP!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrT9s...elated&search=
Old 06-16-2007, 07:41 PM

lol. speaking of front ends comin down hard... im in a grass parking lot type thing, and theres a few little ditch things runnin through it, and im just drivin normal, bout 25-30 and i go straight into one, BAM, nose first. lol. dug me a nice little(not so little) hole and picked up a ton of dirt. spent about 30 minutes pickin my trucks nose. hehehe.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUMS...elated&search=

Yall have got to see this vid. IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I DONT THINK I HAVE EVER LAUGED SO HARD IN MY LIFE. HAHAHAHAHA THIS GUY IS INSANE.

Last edited by johnsenpa; 06-16-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: How Much Air Time Have You Gotten?