Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how many of you guys are running IFS OME leafs

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
how many of you guys are running IFS OME leafs

Hard to search for this as most responses come up with OME coil springs.

These seem to be the cheapest most bang for the buck stock replacement spring available. $175 including shipping for the pair. Plus the cost of bushings.

I was wondering how many are running the heavy duty and medium leaf springs and what you think of them. Also did you have to use longer shocks in the rear.

Also I am gonna assume here the heavy duty is the same as the medium with the exception of an added overload leaf?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the OME leafs on back of my 88. i have the CS009s which are supposed to be the lighter duty. i cannot imagine how stiff the heavy duties are.

i'm using the light duty N94 OME shocks. they are matched for +2" lift.

you will want to make sure you use the OME bushing kit, as the front eye of the OME spring is different than OEM. i found this out the hard way trying to use an energy suspensions complete kit. i had to track down two bushings that would fit up front while i had the truck in pieces.

if i had to do it again, i would probably do the Zuk coil mod. everyone says the ride is very cushy and cheap. i am not happy with my ride, and i've had it inspected after assy. it's still very jarring. they told me i just don't have enough weight in the truck. i'm having a hard time with that.

the OMEs are 4leaf plus 2overload. yeah. it seems like overkill. i'm hoping that bumpers, sliders, and a full size spare will make the ride seem normal. some day, once i have the truck outfitted, i may pull the 4th leaf as suggested by ARB when i asked them for assistance.

of course i had to add the 1.5 spacers up front, and still turn the t-bars a little to level out to the new height from the OMEs in back (with stock length shackles). so now the front is as harsh as the back. at least it's consistent!

but if i had an ARB bumper on the front, possibly it would be nice. i won't know til then.

seek some more opinions if you want, but i'll tell you now there's plenty of positive talk about them. it's what convinced ME to go with them. all that praise sold me. but the ride? well my opinion is still rather low. i don't like a bone jarring ride.

good luck.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put in a set a couple months ago. I'm running the softer OME shocks and I've got a moderately heavier bumper in back but no spare. the ride is an improvement from the old flat springs, but it's still pretty damn stiff. I'm considering removing an overload leaf to soften it out, and because the stock u-bolts are just not quite long enough for these springs (had to put them on without washers)

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/ome/ is the best write-up I've seen about these and talks about a lot of the same issues i've run into, so you can probably expect something similar.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got them on my rig, along with the OME torsion bars in the front with 1.5" BJ spacers. I have an ARB Bull Bar with a Warn M8000, and a Marlin Crawler rear bumper with a full size 33x10.5 spare in the stock location.

The rear springs are the stock rate springs with the OME medium rate shocks. I used their bushing kits and their U-bolts.

Everything bolted in just fine, not issues there. I wish the shocks where a bit longer, as they are damn near too short.

The ride in my rig is great, a huge improvement over the stock, sagged out stuff. I do not find it too harsh. The ride is firm, but not harsh. I find that the ride does firm up a bit more with the top off, as I have it right now.

But, others have said they find the ride to be too harsh. Maybe they have quality control issues?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike

But, others have said they find the ride to be too harsh. Maybe they have quality control issues?
or some of us have more butt padding than we really need. No offense to you. We get the same feedback on our latex foam beds at work.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutlawMike
my guess is it has more to do with how much weight you have in back than quality control. like someone else mentioned here, OME makes stuff for haulin' across the outback in a fully loaded vehicle.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My rig wasn't IFS but on my '85 I ran a full OME setup that I had Wabbit install.

With no weight in the back it was a little bouncy but it rode extremely well.
I loved it!

I would go with the light duty leafs for sure - unless you plan on hauling a lot.

I was also coming from the stock '85 leafs to the brand new OME leafs so keep that in mind when reading my praise of OME.
I ran an all OME lift on my '99 4Runner and will run one on my Tacoma one of these days.

ARB makes an extremely quality product which they stand behind - you'll be happy either way.
Not to mention the tech support they offer is top notch and the majority of their employees that do the installs/builds/design own Toyota's.

I'd hit up Wabbit for the other stuff you'll need/want - shackles, u-bolt flips, extended brake lines, etc...

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 07-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah i think the best remedy for that would be to take out either the overload or one of the bottom leaves, its definately meant for heavier loads,
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 AM

are you guys talking about taking out a leaf on the lighter duty "medium" springs?

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-07-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ide put them in and ride around for a week or two drive down a couple trails with your normal gear, and then decide if you want to take a leaf out, cuz you dont want it to be too saggy either..
Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
the OMEs are 4leaf plus 2overload.
you must have ordered the HEAVY DUTY leafs. when i spoke with TRDParts4U, they talked me out of those and I got the MEDIUM duty leafs. he said the HD ones would only be good if driving with a full load everywhere you go, so that may be the issue with yours. IIRC, my medium leafs are 3+1 overload and they ride excellent especially now that they are pretty much broken in.

i got everything for the OME 2-2.5" lift except for the t-bars because i don't have a winch bumper up front. i think the greatest improvement was the steering stabilizer. the shocks are great too, but like said before I wish the rear ones were longer, but this may be resolved when i do my u-bolt flip and relocate the shocks.