Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how many ball bearing in the power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many ball bearing in the power steering?

While attempting to replace all of the seals in my power steering gearbox, I managed to dump all the ball bearing on the ground. Does anyone know where I can find how many ball bearings are supposed to be in there.

89 4x4 22re.

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Makes a mess don't it.

Seems like 44 or 45 maybe.

Pirate has a nice write up in the FAQ.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 AM

I must have missed that in my search at pirate, I will do another search. I have found the write up that goes over the rebuild and how to re-install the bearings, but I have yet to find how many bearing go in there. If you are correct on the number, I lost a lot of bearings.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Search "IFS box ball bearings" on the Toyota section

Thread by pdurf1 with like 18 posts

45 ball bearings he says and how to reassemble

:wabbit2:
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM

Thank you for the direction. It is amazing what you get with search results when you use the proper terminology.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
when putting them back use vaseline to hold them in...

edit: forgot that i had this in my Mini FAQ thread dunno if it will help you out :

just in case you take a steering box apart too far--great write up
Found this on ttora in this thread:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146872

Originally Posted by the owl
Well, this is my first technical post so I will try to put this together in a way that should be pretty simple to follow;

Earlier today I tore apart an '87 Toyota IFS steering box from a 4Runner to start tapping the case for hydro assist stearing. Well, I was blessed with the opportunity to experience the frustration of many before me who have experienced the miss hap of pulling the worm gear from its piston and the 43 bearings (yes, I counted) snugged away inside pour out to their freedom. Thankfully I had the shaft pointed up and the bearing fell into its own housing.

**Just as a note, if you are seperating your steering box for hydro assist plumbing, you DO NOT have to pull the worm shaft out!! Once you've backed out the 10mm hex centering shaft cover, pull it out with channel locks if it doesn't want to come the rest of the way out, a spring will follow and behind that is the centering shaft which must come out or your piston won't slide out. This is where I screwed up and didn't realize the shaft was still in there, so I pulled the worm gear to see what was wrong and got myself in a pickle.**

So here are the puzzle pieces; Worm gear with spline shaft, Worm gear piston, and 43 bearings.

This tube acts as a channel that the bearings travel through while the piston rides up and down on the shaft. It has to be removed with a phillip's head screwdriver and it will come out rather easily and is split down the middle;

cont...
Next, thread the shaft back into the piston until the threads start to appear at the at the lower port for the tube. You won't be able to get the bearings back in with the shaft all the way home as you need to work it in and let gravity help you a little bit to get the bearings settled in;

I used the tang end of a file to help push the bearings in and found that turning the shaft back n forth a little helped sit them in.

Make sure the bearings sit "down" into the shaft and don't ride up to the top of the piston or they'll start plopping out. And, don't let them ride down into the piston past the lower port or they will find their way into the bottom of the piston and you'll have to back the shaft out and start over!

Here you can see that there are as many bearings now in side that are going to fit. BUT, there are quite a few left over, exactly enough to fit inside the tube.

How am I going to get them to stay inside the tube with out them going all over when I pick it up to put it back in place on the piston...?

cont...
VASELINE!!

I didn't want to use gear lube cause I figured it would be too thick and maybe end up with a fluid flow issue. I'm guessing the vaseline is light enough that it'll liquify pretty quick and blend in with the power steering fluid pretty easily. And, I probably didn't have to use as much as I did either. Some at each end of the tube would have worked just as well. I tried this once without the vaseline and the bearings spilled uncontrollably and jammed up the ports so that I could not sink the tube so I had to fish the bearings out to try again;

After the tube is in place, put the strap over it and put the screws in. Test the travel of the shaft a couple of times and if it feels like it is riding well, tighten the screws the rest of the way. You cannot afford to have them backing out;

Easiest way I found to see if the bearings were sitting well was to let gravity do it's work. I pulled the shaft out some of the way (NOT TOO MUCH OR YOU"LL LOSE THE BEARINGS AGAIN) and just let the weight of it pull itself down onto the piston. If it rides down without binding or stalling you've completed the task;

http://yfrog.us/jpwormgearbearings011z

Yer back in buisness!!

Last edited by dropzone; 01-27-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Awesome, thank you for the help. Next mission is to get the kids fed and off to bed for a nap so that I can go out into the shop and see if I have all the bearings, and God willing, re-installed. I can't believe that I have not come across that thread before with all of the searches I have done.

Again, thank you for the help and I will post progress if it occurs. This complete rebuild is taking me much longer that I would have ever dreamed. I pray that this truck runs like a top when it is put back together again.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Thank you for all of the help. The gearbox is back together and seems to be functions as it should.

For anyone who is forced to do this in the future; patience is the key to re-installing the ball bearings. Follow all of the instructions listed above, especially the movement of the piston to seat the bearings.

Again, thanks for all of the help.

Justin