Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to Make Fog Lamps Come on w/Low Beams?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock Lee
No dice. But my wires are the same colors as in the schematic you provided. I hooked up the relay and everything like your image indicated. Here's what happens; The fog lights come on with my headlights and turn off with my headlights, but they stay on during low beam and high beam.

I think I noticed something; Once I turn on my head lamps the low beams seem to stay on even while the high beams are switched on. And one of the wires always seems to be energized. I'm guessing that's the red/black.

Perhaps if I just connected 86 to red/green and 85 to red/black? Would that yield the results I want? I don't know. I'm just playing with wires here.
Oh, I know what's happening now... When high beam is on (red-black provides12V and red-yellow grounds the HB filament), the HB and LB filaments are connected to each other at pin 3. The filaments have very low resistance so the Pin 85 of relay still sees ground!
Can't think of a workaround now...

The red-back will always have 12V when headlights are on. The stalk / dimmer switch selects which filament gets the ground, the LB or HB.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, even though I haven't been able to get this working as I'd like, I appreciate your time and efforts helping me think this through. At least the fog lights come on with the headlights. Shoot me if they don't go off when the high beams come on. I don't think any officers will ticket me for that and I don't think it's a big deal. I'll live with this setup as is. :-)

Here's what I've been withholding: I have a second set of lights installed (driving lights), but not wired up. I was hoping to have these ones automatically come on when the high beams come on. Obviously that will not be possible. My second most preferable option is to have them wired...
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
...separately on their own relay, drawing switched power from the marker light circuit so they will work only when marker lights are on.
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
This is how I would do mine, too.
Now I echo these sentiments also. I'll be leaving the fog lights as they are now. But the driving lights I'll put on a switch.

Thanks for your help, guys!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Come to think of it, stock headlight wiring is flawed. Clean, Robust, plug-and-play and inexpensive fix would be an H4 conversion harness (search "H4 harness conversion").
Once you do the conversion, You can do exactly what you want:
Fogs on with Low-Beams ONLY
Driving lights on with High-beam ONLY.
There would be no more bleeding "ground" through bulb filament.
You wire lights to back of bulb connector same way a I drew.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM

Come to think of it, stock headlight wiring is flawed. Clean, Robust, plug-and-play and inexpensive fix would be an H4 conversion harness (search "H4 harness conversion").
Once you do the conversion, You can do exactly what you want:
Fogs on with Low-Beams ONLY
Driving lights on with High-beam ONLY.
There would be no more bleeding "ground" through bulb filament.
You wire lights to back of bulb connector same way a I drew.
Thanks, but I'm done spending money on this. I got a wife who spends enough money. I'm stuck with the light setup I have... for a while anyway.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 AM

...I got a wife who spends enough money...
LOL! No more Christmas shopping for you?
Want my Trucklites LED, too, but that would have to wait until I get a new job
Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 AM

A visual of what I'm looking to do… Visuals are helpful. Maybe somebody on this forum has found a way to do this that doesn't involve me spending more money?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:49 AM

Upon having a second look at the schematic, saw that my theory of grounding through bulb filament is incorrect. Wanna double-check your wiring? Did you wire pins 85 and 86 directly to wires behind the bulb connector? Post a pic?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-23-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Did you wire pins 85 and 86 directly to wires behind the bulb connector? Post a pic?
Yes, I wired directly to the those wires. Wired exactly as you said. Here's pics, but not sure how helpful these will be since you can't see my wiring. I don't want to pull out the battery for the 8th time. :-)

Old 11-23-2015, 04:18 PM

I just picked up this switch, but I don't know how to wire it in. I see 4 wires. One for the ground. One to slot 86 on the relay. And one to a 12v supply. Right? But where does the 4th one go? This is per Hella's instructions for THEIR aftermarket switch. But since I'm using a factory Toyota switch how do I know which wires on the pigtail to connect to? :-) All expertise is appreciated.

Here's what I'm shooting for: This switch will be used with the driving lights (green circles in the image I already posted). The 12v supply I will tap will probably be the headlights. I've given up on the low beam:high beam thing.

Last edited by Brock Lee; 11-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
That's what a multimeter is for (even if you HAVE the instructions, you'll still check it).

Are you sure (or do you know at all if) this is a lighted switch? Your diagram calls for a SPST (single-pole, single throw) switch. I'm guessing you have a SPDT switch with an incandescent (not polarized) lamp that shares one of the switch conductors. You can tell which pair is the lamp; it should be "around" 20-40 ohms, and not change with switch position. Then just work out which pairs open and close with the switch actuation.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM

I just picked up this switch, but I don't know how to wire it in. I see 4 wires. One for the ground. One to slot 86 on the relay. And one to a 12v supply. Right? But where does the 4th one go? This is per Hella's instructions for THEIR aftermarket switch. But since I'm using a factory Toyota switch how do I know which wires on the pigtail to connect to? :-) All expertise is appreciated.
Having spent a lot of time pouring through Toyota EWDs, the W-B (solid White with a Black stripe) wires are typically tied directly to ground. I would assume one grounds the led/bulb in the switch and the other grounds the switched circuit.

Ground those 2 wires, and apply 12V to each of the wires and see what happens when you activate or de-activate the switch, a multi-meter will help.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
That's what a multimeter is for (even if you HAVE the instructions, you'll still check it). Are you sure (or do you know at all if) this is a lighted switch? Your diagram calls for a SPST (single-pole, single throw) switch.
Originally Posted by SacRunner
Having spent a lot of time pouring through Toyota EWDs, the W-B (solid White with a Black stripe) wires are typically tied directly to ground. ...a multi-meter will help.
You guys are talking beyond me. I'm not the proud owner of a multimeter. I wish I knew which color wires needed to be connected to what. I can't find appropriate schematics online, and even if I could find them, I can't read "electrical talk."

Ideally, this is the information I need:
1. White w/black stripe wire goes to...
2. Green wire connects to...
3. Purple wire connects to...
4. Orange/Peach wire connects to...

I have no clue here. I only know that I need a wire connected to the relay, ground, 12v power, and maybe dash lights or something else. I can understand that. Looks like I'll have to connect stuff up and see what happens... sans multimeter.

I appreciate the advice, fellas! If anyone else has expertise I'd be happy to listen to it!

Looks like this diagram could be helpful to me, even if the colors are different.

Last edited by Brock Lee; 11-24-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
Ground those 2 wires, and apply 12V to each of the wires and see what happens when you activate or de-activate the switch, ...
If he guesses correctly and hooks up to a 12v lamp, then the lamp will light and all is good. More likely, he'll connect 12v to two switch contacts, and when they close the battery will try to put 100amps through those itty-bitty wires. I just hope you're not holding the switch in your hand when that happens.

...I'm not the proud owner of a multimeter. ...
No excuse for that. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html Not to be unnecessarily harsh, but no one has any business messing with electrical items without some sort of multimeter. You can get hurt, start a fire, fry your whole electrical system ...

Ideally, this is the information I need:
1. White w/black stripe wire goes to...
2. Green wire connects to...
3. Purple wire connects to...
4. Orange/Peach wire connects to...
Ideally, I need a solid gold toilet. If we knew what those color wires did with that switch, someone could tell you which ones match to your diagram. But those colors are not standard. I really doubt anyone can tell anything from a list of colors.

But not to worry, all you need is a ... (yup!) ... multimeter. Or maybe a friend with a multimeter.

When you get your multimeter, this may help you get started: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...otaTech/h4.pdf

Last edited by scope103; 11-24-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:26 AM

Not to be unnecessarily harsh, but no one has any business messing with electrical items without some sort of multimeter.
Understood. And I'm not trying to mess with electrical items. I know of the dangers, but appreciate the words of caution. I mean, that's why I'm posting here and hoping someone can help me out. :-)

Ideally, I need a solid gold toilet.
Haha! And I want a red one made by Ferrari. But up to now they're not manufacturing them. I'd settle for solid gold.

I really doubt anyone can tell anything from a list of colors.
I hear ya. I am hoping for the opposite. We're in the internet age and I'm hoping somebody out there knows this information or has had this same issue and knows the answer. That's why I've posted as much information and pics as I can.

No multimeter, but I own something that looks like this thing:

Old 11-24-2015, 12:13 PM

... No multimeter, but I own something that looks like this thing: ...
That will tell you something (very crudely) about whether there is voltage. But it won't help you (without a bit of extra work) to learn anything about resistance. Which is all you really want to know. (And even then, only in the most trivial sense, open v. shorted.)

So spring for the 6 bucks. You'll be (very) glad you did.