86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to make an awesome cradle for your phone/mp3 player

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make an awesome cradle for your phone/mp3 player

Hey guys, I used to have a iphone the 1st gen. however I got tired of the crappy reception so I went to a blackberry. I kept using the Iphone for the 8gb's of music.

One of the things I really like was the ability to scroll through all of my music with the album cover flow. After looking for a month for a good car kit and reasonably priced I gave up and custom made this one.

When the iphone is turned sideways its now integrated conveniently under my stereo so I'm not fumbling around. Its also easy to flip through the cover art to find the song I want.

It also holds the phone in a good spot to be a speaker phone. Although I always used mine for music. I'm sure before installing it you could also set it up to when mounted the holster will swivel as its designed to for dialing.
Ingredient's
1. 2 pieces of flexible metal
2. about 6'inches of 3m double sided tape
3.1,2.00 on ebay cheap, made in China belt clip
4. stereo out to stereo in connection

The 3m tape will have some paper on it so you'll just need to reheat it. Also the cradle is as stable as if it were mounted with screws it won't budge. The trick is to really heat the 3m tape up before mounting it on a clean surface and let it dry. Most people peel and stick it and its wobbley ever after, a hair dryer or heat gun would do the trick.This one's been in my truck for over a year. 2 summers in Myrtle Beach, SC, which means 6/7 months worth of 130 degrees temps all day in my truck and its as stiff as the day I installed it.

Also because the cradle is actually a belt clip you can pop the phone/mp3 player in and out with 2 fingers.

Please mark and file the holster where your car charger and ear piece jack are so you can use them while in the cradle. You'll notice mine is filed in the top right corner for the stereo jack. You should also angle your metal back so your phone/mp3 player is facing up at you, no glare when you look down to do things.

I'm selling this one in the classified's section but I figured I'd throw it out there for all you guys that may use it for other app's.

Last edited by jacumja; 06-25-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good, Id deffenaly do that if i didnt have my ipod connected thru the data cable in the back of the deck and sitting in the glove box.

Id be carefull about that tho, some people might think the iphone is in the car and break a window. Its like leaving the GPS clip on the dash/windshield just putting the unit in the glove box.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I could see myself doing something like that except that I don't own an MP thingy. Hell I just got a cell phone about 6 months ago.

It really amazes me when I have to turn around half way to work and haul butt back to the house for a cell phone that I just spent the last 35 years without.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
when I pickup my GPS after the ol girl get's back running and on the road, I'm mounting mine up on the roof close to the rear view mirror, and hard wiring in a plug up there, so that all I gotta do is hop in the truck, snap it in, and plug it up, and we're good to go plus it'll put it up where most theifs wont think to look (I hope )

Looks good man! Unfotunately, I use that little "stuff-hole" to put all kinds of crap in, so that would get in my way
Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Love it.
Also, a gooseneck mount would also get the job done. You can adjust it manually to kill glare which helps even if your driving glasses are polarized, as well as position it ergonomically so that it faces you and is right at your fingertips.

Nice mod.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Looks really nice. Good install and fab.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks guys I'm actually enjoying the love I'm getting off of this.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacumja
Thanks guys I'm actually enjoying the love I'm getting off of this.
This website...not the holder, right?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM

I know I'm in South Kackilacki but we got plenty of women around, no need to have interplastic erotica as of yet
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacumja
I know I'm in South Kackilacki but we got plenty of women around, no need to have interplastic erotica as of yet
South WHAT? Edit...got the joke lol...carolinia...

Haha, just makin sure.