Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how hard would it be...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
how hard would it be...

to take the power window equiped doors off a Runner maybe and put them on my 91 PU with manual windows?

The freeking widows are really starting to agrivate me; it's getting harder and harder to roll the things down and back up, it literally takes just about all of your strength to get the passenger side to go all the way down, and now the driver's side is starting to do it too and their both progressively getting worse, and to be honest I'm scared I'm going to brake the window handle off in not too long if it get's much worse

I guess I could just tear the door apart and figure out what's wrong with my manual windows, but I really want power windows anyway...

Running the wires would be no problem for me ( I can wire in my own relays and fuses and everything with ease ) but is there anything I'd need to look for specifically in the donor vehicle; I know I've read somewhere that there's a door length difference in the 2 and 4 door Runners. I guess some power equiped doors off a PU would do just as well, but would it make a difference in standard or extended cab?

I know there's got to be someone here on YT that's done this before...

I appreciate any input guys, and thanks in advance!

oh yeah, btw, I took another pic off my phone to add to the collection today right before I left work

Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
pretty sure that the runner doors are too short... from the scuttlebut that ive heard is that the doors off of a 2 door runner will fit...
but why not just try to fine a 91 SR5 with power windows?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep. 4runner doors are a few inches shorter. The 2dr 4runners have the pickup length doors...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
Yep. 4runner doors are a few inches shorter. The 2dr 4runners have the pickup length doors...
and that's exactly what I thought I remembered hearing...

I'll have to see what I can dig up around here and for how much...

what sucks is that I'll have to buy new window vent-visors after I just put these on maybe a few moths ago

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-13-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have you contemplated removing and cleaning the manual regulators, then lubing them up all nice and slick?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM

he could do that, but like he said, he wants the power windows...
Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
have you contemplated removing and cleaning the manual regulators, then lubing them up all nice and slick?
well I could, and depending on how bored I get this weekend I may even try that

but like Space-Junk said, I do want to eventually just replace them with some power windows; it gets agrivating having to lean over and roll down the passenger side window when I'm the only one in the truck, lol
Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well I could, and depending on how bored I get this weekend I may even try that

but like Space-Junk said, I do want to eventually just replace them with some power windows; it gets agrivating having to lean over and roll down the passenger side window when I'm the only one in the truck, lol
btw, my name is Troy...
Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hear ya, im plannin on switching to power, and also to power windows. also a power/heated seat. im addicted to the expedition's modern luxuries... so im gonna bring those luxuries to my truck... LOL
Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
btw, my name is Troy...
thank's Troy, I was getting tired of typing Space-Junk every time too, lol

my name's Travis btw, in case you or any one wanted to know; yall can just call me Trav

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i hear ya, im plannin on switching to power, and also to power windows. also a power/heated seat. im addicted to the expedition's modern luxuries... so im gonna bring those luxuries to my truck... LOL
well I still have the old bench seat still, but I do plan on swapping it out for some buckets, and when I do it would be nice if I could fine some power seats for a decent price to throw in it, but as long as their buckets in decent condition, I can settle for pulling a lever to move it; I mean, how often am I going to have to adjust my seat? not as many times as I roll down my windows

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-13-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trav,mine are doing the same thing, and I am willing to bet it the same problem. I took off my door panels and the regulator bolt broke through the door, just get a huge washer that will fill the holes, and you will be set, and while you are down there lube up the reg.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM

had the bolt pull thru on my power windows too... couldnt figure out why the glass would only roll halfway up... and it scratched the hell outta the side of my window... just put a bigger washer in it and it worked fine...

i, unfortunately, didnt think to grease the tracks while i was there, but the door panels come off easy enough, so i can do it on a day when im bored...
Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Trav,mine are doing the same thing, and I am willing to bet it the same problem. I took off my door panels and the regulator bolt broke through the door, just get a huge washer that will fill the holes, and you will be set, and while you are down there lube up the reg.
oh I'll definately have to take a look at that tomorrow man, it take's all of 2 minutes to pull the door panels off, thanks!

see that right there is what makes this site AWESOME; experience man, no books, schools, or FSMs can make up for it...

Old 11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

well well guys, all I can say is it's amazing what a little grease in the right spots can do

so I tore both the door panels off, removed the regulators completely, drenched them in PB blaster, then brake cleaner to get all the old grease out (which had become more sticky than it was lubricating ), pushed some wheel bearing grease into the gears that the handle turns, and spread a good coating against anywhere 2 metal surfaces were sliding together, and that took care of the regulators; man out of the truck they move great!

then I went to the tracks the window slides in. put a little wheel bearing grease on the tip of my finger, and slid my finger up and down the window tracks, slid the window up and down a few times by hand to spread the grease around in the tracks, wiped the excess away off the outside of the tracks so that you can't even tell that I put grease in em, and now the window will almost fall all the way down just from it's own weight without the regulator in there, lol

reinstalled the regulators, buttoned everything back up, and the things work like brand new now!

I wish it would have been as easy as just putting on a washer or two, but all the bolts and every look fine, so I just took the next step

I'm happy with it; it'll hold me off till I find some power windows equiped doors
Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to have a shop doing custom electronics installation and sales. We did a lot of work for local car dealers installing convenience features such as power locks/windows, keyless entry and cruise control.

By far the easiest way to go about this for you is not using factory components. You'll probably find that you need a lot of stuff and buying any of it used is a risk that can end up frustrating you and wasting your money. A universal power window kit is very easy to install and will have everything you need. SPAL makes some of the best but they're $$$, a lot of other good kits out there too for less money.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM

EXCEPT, that he could just buy some doors off of a truck with power windows/door locks and swapthem with a bit of wiring..
why go aftermarket when there is nothing wrong with OEM?