Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how hard is a 3" lift to install myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard is a 3" lift to install myself?

i have a 3" body lift for my 4runner i was wondering how hard it would be to install the lift by myself? has anyone else done this before? and also i dont know if this kit comes with instructions or anything so i dont have a great idea of where everything in this picture goes. if anyone near baltimore knows how i to install a lift i would pay them for thier time helping me. so please anything you got on this tell me i wanna know everything about doing this.
Attached Thumbnails how hard is a 3" lift to install myself?-1114891169315_163.jpg  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Its really not THAT hard, just time consuming. What kind of kid did you buy?
It should come with instructions, my Performance accessories kit did BUT there are some things that they dont bother to tell you

First thing you want to do is soak all your body bolts with some kind of penetrent lube for about 1-2 weeks in advance.

I used liquid wrench and sprayed all of the bolts probibly 4-5 times, really helps!

for tools we had

1 jack
Impact gun
Breaker bar
socket set
screwdrivers
and some 2x4's to spread the force of the jack equally on the body.
torch ( to take off a seized rubber body bushing and bend my shifters)

Make sure you have LOTS of time for unforseen problems. my body mount and a few other things set me back a day.

The steering extension that they gave us did not fit by the steering pump like they wanted it so we had to install it by the steering wheel.

If you have the stock air intake you might have a few problems, we had to flip the elbow unside down to lower the intermedite pipe enough to make it to the throttle body.

The body MIGHT shift, mine did a little but just had to shive it around a little to get it back in place.

Last edited by Jay351; 08-17-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As mentioned its not that difficult of a job but there are a few things you do need.

The first things that come to mind are a friend and instructions. You can't do it alone with no idea of the order of installation or where this stuff goes.

That kit appears to be missing a few things too. There should be 6 pucks for the cab and 8 for the bed.

If I was near you I'd come help but I don't think you could afford the airfare. :p
Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bull307
i have a 3" body lift for my 4runner i was wondering how hard it would be to install the lift by myself? has anyone else done this before? and also i dont know if this kit comes with instructions or anything so i dont have a great idea of where everything in this picture goes. if anyone near baltimore knows how i to install a lift i would pay them for thier time helping me. so please anything you got on this tell me i wanna know everything about doing this.
I am in So. mD. if you think you need a hand let me know I will try to get there and help with it. I never done one but did my suspention lift and it was a bitc@@@ without the correct directions but the body lift should not be to bad. Just remember that you will need a steering and gear shift extention and radiator, bumper brackets so make sure they come with the kit. Also try Roger Brown for a quility kit with great directions.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta second the suggestion to check out the 4Crawler BL designed by Roger Brown. Also, do yourself a favor and noodle around on his site for a while. Very informative. I have nothing but good to say about his BL. Admittedly, I have the 1", which takes alot of the fudge factor out of it. No steering or shifter issues to deal with on the 1". I did get the radiator brackets just due to the fact that I live in the HOT desert and wanted zero question about my cooling capacity. In hindsight I can see why it is not necessary though, at least on the 1". IIRC I did have to fudge with the bumper relocation stuff. Took a little material off the stock mounts with an angle grinder, but not difficult by any means. Here's a linky to his site:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3 inches is a whole lotta body lift..... I'm not going to say anything about a body lift, because I think that a body lift when used in combination with larger tires is a great alternative to cutting your fenders to prevent rubbing. I'd say that it can be done, I've never installed a body lift, but I think that a 1" body lift is not too far off. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 PM

I installed a 2" BL. Wasn't hard, but it took all day because I was very careful and took it slow. Roger brown has great instructions on his website and if you really study them, you will be a lot more comfortable doing it yourself, as he explains just about every problem you could run into. I did the radiator, bumper, and steering shaft bracket too. Check out 4crawler's site.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 PM

Keep in mind that a lot of online retailers don't take pictures of every kit they have. Most retailers just use a generic picture of a kit.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bull307
i have a 3" body lift for my 4runner
<SNIP>...
<SNIP>
also i dont know if this kit comes with instructions
<SNIP>
You're not making any sense at all.
You have the body lift kit, however you don't know if it has any instructions ????

Look in the box. Are there instructions ?

Fred
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Feel free to browse the instructions on the web page below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ft_HowTo.shtml
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
You're not making any sense at all.
You have the body lift kit, however you don't know if it has any instructions ????

Look in the box. Are there instructions ?

Fred
lol i mean i have bought it already its in the mail
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 AM

I did a 2inch BL with some pals....took about 6 - 7 hours...goofing off, etc. Glad I did it. It was a 4crawler lift...good stuff!