Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to get EBrake light off dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get EBrake light off dash

So I failed my first inspection today. Sad day! I have a rust hole in the cab corner which I thought they'd ignore but no dice there.

The bigger issue is my Ebrake light! They do not seem to care that the ebrake does not work (and its manual ) but they want the light off the dash.

Fair enough! The cable is a hard part to source on the extracabs and the real issue is that arms on the drums are seized so it wouldn't be operational even with a cable.

SO - how whats the easiest way to get to that switch and turn it off manually?

Already got a ticket from a Trooper for failed inspection
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Ebrake light is cause you are low on brake fluid or sensor not triggered on mechanism under dash by lever.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-17-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Doh
Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Ebrake light is cause you are low on brake fluid or sensor not triggered on mechanism under dash by lever.

:wabbit2:
Fluid is good.

I know that its the switch under the dash, I just have to close it! I guess I could stop being lazy and just look harder but if anyone knows where it's located I'd appreciate that.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
the switch is on the ebrake rod. Follow the ebrake handle through the dash and you will find it.

And are you sure it's a requirement to have that light off? Because PA tried to do that with our BMW as the SRS light is on. They tried to fail me for it and I slapped the inspection procedure in their face ad said where in the book does it even mention it's a checkpoint. They grumbled a little bit and put my sticker on. lol. Same thing goes for an ABS light. But again different state maybe different rules. But you might wanna get yourself a copy of the rule book.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-17-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
the switch is on the ebrake rod. Follow the ebrake handle through the dash and you will find it.

And are you sure it's a requirement to have that light off? ....
You may have a point. But....

1. This is one of the most lax shops around

2. It is a requirement to have an ebrake in a truck with an MT. So the fact that they're willing to look the other way on that makes me not want to push my luck.

BTW: If you live in a state without inspections and or road salt, I am jealous. I'm convinced that both are tools of THE MAN to keep honest hard working Americans hooked on car payments therefore enslaved by debt and the car companies profitable. They dont want your dependable truck to stay on the road forever, they want you to buy another one. Oh, in 20 years we've gotten no better fuel economy, worse reliability, less capable vehicles that are harder to work on? Tough - your old one's gunna rot away and then even if you can keep it on the road you'll fail your state inspection so go buy a new one. At least the ride will be quiet.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Maybe the shop thinks if you get rid of the light the e-brake will work. Just like one of the shops around here I had asked after "failing" because of the SRS. They said they would fail me to because with the light on it means the system is not working properly and it ha the possibility of going off by itself for now reason. I was like, yeah, I'll never take anything into that shop to get fixed. LMAO. BTW the shop that told me that was a PepBoys. Wasn't the same shop that tried to fail me though.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Not sure what they think. They were kind of assholes though - typically they're nice.

This time they looked at me like I was trying to take their daughter to prom - or sneak a vehicle past them that should otherwise fail, which I guess is kinda true. Kept referring to it out loud as "junk" and what not.

One customer asked him if he was buying it and he replied "Yeah I got 50 cents right here". I hate that. My truck is cleaner than 90% of the pickups on VT roads and is barely over 100k mi. But these guys with Chevy's who go through front ends and 4L60E tranny's annually want to bad mouth toyotas.

Wow 2nd rant of the day, must be time to leave work and have a cold one....
Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 PM

It is very common for the low fluid level sensor on the reservoir cap to fail. There's a repair write-up on here somewhere.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 PM

When I see a shop do that I usually just walk away and never go back. My experience with that situation is usually because they are tired and don't want the work at that time.

Now 99% of the work I do myself, but stuff like alignments, state inspections, mounting and balancing tires, I can't do myself. Although this past set of tires I mounted myself but still had to have balanced which will change here somewhat soon as well when I switch to using airsoft bb's in the tires.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM

Can always pop the dash light out of the cluster.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If no one likes inspections, move to Indiana, we have no inspections and there are 2 great off-road parks here also....
Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I can`t see how you can not fix the E -Brake . It must be a flatlander thing!!

The parts are not that hard to find. At least if you look
Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MAD MARK
Can always pop the dash light out of the cluster.
I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO POINT OUT THE OBVIOUS!!!!

lol
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by vermontoyota
Not sure what they think. They were kind of assholes though - typically they're nice.

This time they looked at me like I was trying to take their daughter to prom - or sneak a vehicle past them that should otherwise fail, which I guess is kinda true. Kept referring to it out loud as "junk" and what not.

One customer asked him if he was buying it and he replied "Yeah I got 50 cents right here". I hate that. My truck is cleaner than 90% of the pickups on VT roads and is barely over 100k mi. But these guys with Chevy's who go through front ends and 4L60E tranny's annually want to bad mouth toyotas.

Wow 2nd rant of the day, must be time to leave work and have a cold one....
ignore em dude! let em spout their childish immature mouths. I got a chevy lover to the end friend been a chevy mechanic over 30 years... his daily? ... a 2008 Toyota 4runner!! thats right...he still praises chevy tho

theyre just fanboys. You know what u got, nothing can change the facts
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by vermontoyota

BTW: If you live in a state without inspections and or road salt, I am jealous. I'm convinced that both are tools of THE MAN to keep honest hard working Americans hooked on car payments therefore enslaved by debt and the car companies profitable. They dont want your dependable truck to stay on the road forever, they want you to buy another one. Oh, in 20 years we've gotten no better fuel economy, worse reliability, less capable vehicles that are harder to work on? Tough - your old one's gunna rot away and then even if you can keep it on the road you'll fail your state inspection so go buy a new one. At least the ride will be quiet.
I'm saving this quote, its goin on facebook.

WELL SAID! couldnt be anymore true!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I can`t see how you can not fix the E -Brake . It must be a flatlander thing!!

The parts are not that hard to find. At least if you look
Flatlander? ... Take a cruise up Rt 100 in VT. You'll pass my class 4 road at some point near Mt. Mansfield. When you do pull in and tell me how flat your trip was.

Also: According to your info you live near Philly. LMAO.

But fair enough - I wrote the post from my desk prior to even looking for the switch.

Last edited by vermontoyota; 10-18-2011 at 03:40 AM.