Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how do I adjust my valaves? 3.0 SV-E

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I adjust my valaves? 3.0 SV-E

I just put a used 3.0 SV-E from an '89 p/u into my '93 T-100 and fired it up for the first time. I hear what sounds like valve train noise above cylinders 1 and 3. I've never adjusted valves before and understand this engine uses shims as an adjustment mechanism.
-Can someone please describe the adjustment process?
-Is there some sort of shim pack available that you use to bring the valves into proper adjustment?
-Does this job require removing the camshaft?
-If so, I understand there's a specific sequence to follow when removing the cam bolts to avoid damaging it.

Any input appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Is it a 3.0 3VZ-E? As usual, you start with the manual http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...e/64tuneup.pdf
There is no easily available shim pack (at least that I've found), though they obviously exist somewhere. I've been able to get the shims from the dealer.

You do not need to remove the camshaft (that's probably the hardest way to do it), but you do need a tool like this one
Amazon.com: RAV4/Camry/Tacoma/Corolla/Toyota/Lexus Engine Repair Valve Adjustment Tool Pliers: Automotive Amazon.com: RAV4/Camry/Tacoma/Corolla/Toyota/Lexus Engine Repair Valve Adjustment Tool Pliers: Automotive
to remove the shims.

And yes, if you remove the cam cap bolts in the wrong order/method you can bend the cam.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scope103
Is it a 3.0 3VZ-E? As usual, you start with the manual http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...e/64tuneup.pdf
There is no easily available shim pack (at least that I've found), though they obviously exist somewhere. I've been able to get the shims from the dealer.

You do not need to remove the camshaft (that's probably the hardest way to do it), but you do need a tool like this one Amazon.com: RAV4/Camry/Tacoma/Corolla/Toyota/Lexus Engine Repair Valve Adjustment Tool Pliers: Automotive to remove the shims.

And yes, if you remove the cam cap bolts in the wrong order/method you can bend the cam.
I second the shims, your truck will be down for at least 2, if not 3 days due to the fact you have to measure, go to the dealer and order, then wait for them to come in.

A valve adjustment is no simple job, you're going to need a lot of patience and to take it slow to make sure everything is done right. And you'll need that tool, near impossible to do it otherwise without damaging your cams. As far as I know, there's no writeup but if you search around there's some good info in a thread I started a while ago.

Found it: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...65/index2.html

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 09-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Great info, thanks. Toyota parts rep quoted individual shims at $15/ea. Also said trying different arrangements with original shims can be used to bring all the valves into spec.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 PM

Depending upon where you are, you can likely find a Toyota dealer with a big box o' shims. $15 apiece is ridiculous. I think mine were $3 apiece. Most of those were used, but no biggie since they last forever.

If you do find a dealer with a box o' shims, that will save you a couple days worth of shipping too.

In SoCal, where we have an old 'Yota for every 3 new trucks, I did come across one dealer that had gotten rid of their box o' shims. You will likely want to call around.

Put the details of your truck in your sig. That way we will not have to guess about what you are dealing with in the future. You might as well also put your location in your profile too, to help us out.

Last edited by Sturmcrow; 09-05-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vanabits
Great info, thanks. Toyota parts rep quoted individual shims at $15/ea. Also said trying different arrangements with original shims can be used to bring all the valves into spec.
Yeah, you can switch them around a bit. If you measure the shims and find you've got one that's too thick and another that's too thin, you can try swapping them. But if it's still out of spec you'll have to buy a new one.