Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to check the gearing on 4x4 - 86 IFS 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to check the gearing on 4x4 - 86 IFS 4cyl

Hey All,

Lemme start off with a warning.... I am a complete and utter noob when it comes to 4x4, I have worked on hundreds of cars in my life but this is the first time I have ever even touched a 4x4 truck.

When I engage the 4x4 with the handle, everything seems fine, it seems to act like it should. I placed a camera under the truck and just engaged 4x4 (but not the hubs) and drove forward/back numerous times. Front drive shaft appears to be spinning as I would expect.

When I lock the hubs and pull the handle, the front tires dont seem to move, the truck pushed forward with the front wheels locked, and a horrible grinding noise and screeching (like slamming the breaks at 10 mph). I immediatly disengaged, and havent tried since in fear of causing more damage.

2wd works fine, although it looks like the front shaft still slowly spins even when 4x4 isnt engaged.

When I lift up the front end of the truck, and lock the hubs, I can spin the tire, and the CV's move fine.

If I spin the front drive shaft (4x4 disengaged, but hubs locked) the tires spin fine.

Drivers side CV boot is torn in 2, but parts inside seem 'greesed' still.

Any ideas? My prime suspect is that the prev owner had geared the rear end, but not the front, does this seem right? And is there any method to check the gearing between front & back?

I have put maybe 50 miles on the truck, and dropped $2200 on parts since I bought it, its spent most of its time in my driveway with the hood up and my wallet opened.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

I think your right. Gears dont match between the front and rear. Seems like you may have gotten taken on this buy. How much total including the truck do you have in it.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

There are gear codes in the door jam with the info plates. But you coul try spinning the drive shaft and count how many revolutions of the drive shaft it takes to get one revolution of tire for the front and then compare it to the rear. Its crude but it might give you a starting point to go by.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

www.4crawler.com , you should find a wealth of information there including how to determine your gearing. there are many talented and very experienced members on here that will be able to help you out, be patient!

lee
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM

Awesome, TX to both of you, I will try all 3 suggestions.

As for 'how far in the hole am I'.... I really hate to admit it, but 1400 for the truck, and 2200 on misc big parts, and no idea on the 'small stuff' like misc wires, nuts, bolts, tiny parts at the junk yard, covers, tools, etc. And as for 'time involved' o man.... like 2 months now, atleast 3 hours a day.

Although it is coming out pretty nicely, new carpetting, brand new exhaust from block to rear bumper, all interior panels are there (some not so good.. but its there), new speakers/stereo, new antenna, 32" brand new tires, decent lift on the truck, not a spot of rust anywhere, paint job is tolerable. 4 brand new fuel injectors, newish head, new gaskets all arround, new tps, new suspension and steering stabalizer, everything thoroughly cleaned, etc.

lmfao, now if it would only move....

lol I would NEVER be able to get even half as much as I put into it... but I am fixing it up to keep it, not flip it.

I gotta say, I love this forum... Post a question, and get answers within minutes.

Last edited by mnmontana; 10-29-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would remove the front diff cover and count the ring teeth then divide by the pinion teeth. This will give you your ratio, then you can do the lifted tire spin method to find out the rear gear ratio.

Did the front tires move at all? Unless something is really messed up, the front tires will still spin but at a different speed.

Try the test again on grass or alike surface, this way the tires can slip. Then you can make sure you don't have a blown diff or something.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Disconnect the rear drive shaft. put it in 4wd and see what happens.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM

to find out the gear ratios just mark move 1 of ur tires 1 complete turn, vehicle most be on ground not lifted in air if its open differtial it will mess up if air, so get the vehicle on the ground, rotate the trie 1 full turn during that 1 full turn count how many time the drive shaft turns, if it looks like a little over 4 driveshaft turns to 1 tire turn u got 4.10s , hope it helps .if u dont understand jsut ask me maybe i can explain a little better in a different way if needed.