Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How can I get some rear flex??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I get some rear flex??

Went wheeling today w/some buddies. My rear flex is awful. I was getting hung up in the easiest places. Either one of my rear wheels would just be dangling with the minimum ditch. How can I improve it? They said to remove the coil spring, and maybe also the one around the shock? I did a search, but didn't really find much on a 1st gen Runner. Any help? Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 PM

maybe shocks with longer travel.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Yeah, longer shocks or a u-boly flip and move your shock mounts. I did that on mine and it flexes pretty doggone well. They're between 2-3" higher than stock and uses much more of the travel range of the shock.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You dont have coil springs. Basically you need new leaf springs, the stockers wont net ya much flex.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Search YT for Chevy spring swap. It's what most people do to achieve more rear flex.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you mean leaf spring? 1st gen 4runners dont have coils. I think you mean removing the overload leaf from your spring pack. if you do this your leafs will have more flex although you will be lowering the runner by doing so. to fix that put in a longer shackle and get some long trave shocks.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
You dont have coil springs. Basically you need new leaf springs, the stockers wont net ya much flex.
But, I do have coils back there. I have a short coil with a bump stop under it and another one that goes around the shock (besides my leaf springs). Ck it out:

Also, what shocks should I look for? I don't want to go wheeling again until I get this fixed..also, I took off my anti sway bar and that helped the front, but are there any quick disconnects for a 1st gen? I saw some for a 2nd gen.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by Djlarroc; 10-28-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM

post a pick of your rear setup. did you do this swap? check out offroadsolutions for disconects or a similar off road company. Theres many diy kinda kits that make it so you can use your original swaybar and just add the links. Go with bilsteins. As for the flex i think your setup may have limiting issues with the links. you may have to make them longer in order to increase flex
Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy Crap!

How many springs do you have? You have one around the shock, one on the bumpstop, and a leaf spring? JTDC, that is the most bogus thing I've ever seen!

Wow.

Okay, well first would be to get rid of all of that crap. The bumpstop spring, the shock spring, everything except the leaf spring. Call up Bilstein, and get some 5100's for shocks. They'll get you set up with what you need. Cheap, call downey for replacement leafs. They aren't great, but they'll get you some flex and level the rear. Better would be Old Man Emu, and best would be Alcan.

While coils and leaves can work, yours isn't.

However, if you just want to stop hanging up on the easy stuff, get a locker. Forget the suspension.

Last edited by AxleIke; 10-28-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
post a pick of your rear setup. did you do this swap? check out offroadsolutions for disconects or a similar off road company. Theres many diy kinda kits that make it so you can use your original swaybar and just add the links. Go with bilsteins. As for the flex i think your setup may have limiting issues with the links. you may have to make them longer in order to increase flex
Its a first gen. He hasn't swapped to links, so there is zero issue with those. He has two sets of coils and leaf springs. It clearly has issues.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM

was that an 80's show truck at some point?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

chev 63's work good on 4runners.....
im very happy with mine, hehe

Last edited by superjoe83; 10-28-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:31 PM

He's got an IFS front so you can only go so far.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Holy Crap!

How many springs do you have? You have one around the shock, one on the bumpstop, and a leaf spring? JTDC, that is the most bogus thing I've ever seen!

Wow.

Okay, well first would be to get rid of all of that crap. The bumpstop spring, the shock spring, everything except the leaf spring. Call up Bilstein, and get some 5100's for shocks. They'll get you set up with what you need. Cheap, call downey for replacement leafs. They aren't great, but they'll get you some flex and level the rear. Better would be Old Man Emu, and best would be Alcan.

While coils and leaves can work, yours isn't.

However, if you just want to stop hanging up on the easy stuff, get a locker. Forget the suspension.
Thanks. You confirmed my thoughts. Why the heck did my truck come like that??? THAT IS PRETTY CRAZY HUH? Well while wheeling, we were looking at that stuff and I WILL need shocks as these are rusting. I don't know where to look, but since you gave me that part # (thanks), I'm gona search for the best price on it. I don't plan on doing a lift, except maybe a 1" BL..will the 5100's still work? And do I cut that bumpstop spring with a cutting wheel or the bracket? My rear isn't sagging, so should I still look for leafs? I'm planning on getting a locker sometime, but I caught some ruts today and with the rediculous non flexing, the body lean was damn scary.

Edit: LOL...NO, no show truck... I bought it locally. Some girl owned it before me. Maybe she had someone do it?

Last edited by Djlarroc; 10-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Its a first gen. He hasn't swapped to links, so there is zero issue with those. He has two sets of coils and leaf springs. It clearly has issues.
Im not seeing any leaf springs in that pic. As for if its true he has leafs then yes get rid of all that other crap aspecialy that coil shock. i couldnt amagine that thing would have any flex like that.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM

I wouldnt cut your bumpstops off. take that coil out and put some polyurathane bushings in place of them.
Contributing Member

Likely those coils were added to correct butt sag. The new leaf springs will give you the flex you desire, as well as eliminate butt sag. You get what you pay for. Alcan will cost you but never be an issue again.

As for shocks and BL. Your shocks mount to your frame, not to the body. Body Lift has zero bearing on shock choice. Those shocks are the best for a fairly stock set up. You'll be looking at about 70 per shock, however, but you may be able to get them cheaper. Perhaps someone here knows of a place.

You need that bumpstop bracket. Don't cut it off. You should be able to unbolt the leaf spring from the rear shackle with the shocks disconnected and just slide the coil spring off. It shouldn't be welded.

Good luck. Someone seriously screwed with that truck before you got a hold of it. Sorry man. Bum Luck there.

what about the front end if you have ifs theres half of your problem you dont get much in the way of travel with that
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Im not seeing any leaf springs in that pic. As for if its true he has leafs then yes get rid of all that other crap aspecialy that coil shock. i couldnt amagine that thing would have any flex like that.
Check out his other thread with the LSPV. That is how I noticed it was so funky.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by youngyota88
what about the front end if you have ifs theres half of your problem you dont get much in the way of travel with that
Half? More like 1/200000000th. That rear end is fubar.

Quick Reply: How can I get some rear flex??