Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

High idle, now low idle and stalling with check engine on

Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High idle, now low idle and stalling with check engine on

I searched for the last couple weeks on a couple sites about high idle problems on the 22re, but haven't been able to solve my problem.

Engine: 89 pickup, 22-re, 175k miles, manual

I've had the truck a couple months. Its had new plugs, wires, rotor, and dist cap.

Stage 1: Idled at 2000 cold, idled at 1200 warm. Sometimes it would idle at 900 if I started it after sitting warm for a few mins, but would return to 1200 after driving. The truck shakes after being turned off (dieseling?) Ticks a little, but assumed it was normal-ish on a 22r.

-Did a valve job (my first one ever) and confident I did it properly
-Checked and cleaned the intake - throttle cable closes all the way, dashpot is fine, plate fully seals.

It ran the exact same

Stage 2: two days later after I simply popped the hood and looked around it now idles at 2000 non stop no matter how warm. Still shakes after turned off

-Found a crack in the intake hose, taped up well, no change.
-Cleaned the VAFM with MAF cleaner. no change

Stage 3: It ran the same all day yesterday till I went to start it after sitting warm for about 10 mins.. idles at 800 and sputters. Shortly after the taillights/dash fuse went, check engine comes on. It still started and ran all night, but idled roughly. The next day, it will sputter for about 15 seconds and then stall from a cold start, holding the throttle open a little keeps it running smooth, but it wont idle without dying.

The dash dimmer knob messes up the radio, so I'm assuming that the dimmer wire to the radio is screwed up and blew the fuse.. sounds unrelated to the other stuff, but it all happened at the same time which seems weird.

My current guess is that the high idle is a stuck AAV, and maybe I screwed up the VAFM when i cleaned it and thats why its suddenly stalling and idling rough. If thats not it Ill check into the TPS or something.. not sure if the dieseling is related.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the TPS, if its bad it can cause a bad idle, stalling and other problems. Also check your timming.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:06 AM

I pulled the codes from the cel just now.. 12, 24, 25, 31, 51

All seem to point towards a manifold pressure, air temp/flow sensor issue.
51 says something about tps though.. hmm
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Ok so I found another large crack in the tube between the AFM and intake, taped it up and I'm all back to stage 2 as described above. No more cel and no more rough idle, just a constant steady 2k.

I will be getting a multimeter and checking out the tps and afm on monday. I'll pull the AAV/IACV thing and give it a look if those are ok. Any idea how one cleans the AAV or fixes it if its stuck?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Usually one doesn't service the AAV. You may be successful in cleaning it up if you can manage to keep track of how many turns you make on the parts while you're disassembling it but as others may testify to, it is difficult. I'd suggest first just removing it and trying to flush it out good, getting all the gunk that tends to accumulate in it when the antifreeze isn't serviced properly.