86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hi and tbar clunk question from new guy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi and tbar clunk question from new guy

I bought a 91 SR5 last week and I'm cleaning up a few quirks. I'm trying to track down a clunking noise that occurs when driving over small bumps on the road. Looking under my truck I see that the driver side tbar appears to be touching the floorboards (shown in the first pic) - that doesn't seem right and I think that may be the noise/ vibration I'm getting. My question is how to properly fix it. I noticed the "thing" (somebody please tell me what its called) from the front of the truck (Last picture) seems to be missing some rubber bushing material that exists on the thing in the back of the truck (Middle picture). Sorry for the lame descriptions, but I don't have my repair manual yet and I don't know what to call some of these parts.

Am I on the right track or could the torsion bar be out of place for another reason? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hi and tbar clunk question from new guy-s-tbar.jpg   Hi and tbar clunk question from new guy-s-bushing.jpg   Hi and tbar clunk question from new guy-s-nobushing.jpg  
Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's hard for me to tell exactly what's going on in the first pic being that it appears you took it upside down. Can you get a pic or three of where the tbar attaches at the control arm (or A-arm). I'm wondering if you have a bent frame, control arm, or something. Or maybe a previous person has fubar'd some modifying to the suspension.

The second and third pics are the body mounts. The third could be part of the clunking. Is there a top bushing in there or is the bolt just kinda dangling about?

Last edited by thook; 10-03-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ditto on the body mount bushing.

oh and i cant tell either what im looking at in the first picture aside from the t-bar, and the frame. try taking a better one? I'm not sure what angle its taken from.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
ditto on the body mount bushing.

oh and i cant tell either what im looking at in the first picture aside from the t-bar, and the frame. try taking a better one? I'm not sure what angle its taken from.
Yeah, sorry about the pic of the tbar. It was taken laying with my feet coming out under the drivers side door and my head under the tranny. I'll try to get a better one after work.

Also, thanks for giving me the name of the body mount bushings... that makes sense . From what I can see and feel, there is no rubber on the two front body mounts. Do you guys know where I can order proper bushings and if they are reasonable to install?

Thanks again - GREAT forum!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem 10 years ago (very annoying), in my case it turned out to be a blown bushing in the Superlift rocker arm (it supports the t-bar in the front). So you might check your upper control arm bushings too. But it could also be that your body mount bushings are shot. There isn't a lot of clearance between the body and t-bar unless you have a body lift. When I replaced my t-bars with some bigger bars I had to pound the body with a BFH in one spot so they wouldn't touch the body. That was before I put on a 1" BL.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir5
Do you guys know where I can order proper bushings and if they are reasonable to install?
Roger has them:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#PolyBushings