86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HG Repair or rebuilt engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG Repair or rebuilt engine?

My HG just took a dump on me this morning and I'm trying to figure out what I should do with the truck. It's a 93 4runner 3.0 auto with 187K on the clock. I just got the truck about 4 months ago in a trade for my 92 22re pickup.

What are my options for the HG repair? Cost wise is it better to get a rebuilt engine since mine has high mileage and there may be other things that go wrong with it down the line even after a HG repair? When I acquired the 4runner the PO said the AC needed to be recharged but turns out the compressor is missing so it going to cost a few bucks to get AC back. My thought is that a rebuilt engine would have an AC compressor?

Just don't know what to do at this point, I'm looking to you guys for some guidance.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I was in the same boat your in when I got my runner. After I had it for about 4 mounts, it got a bad miss in it. I was new to all this ytota stuff at the time, so I got it rebuilt, TOP END ONLY. The guy that did it told me that the HG's were done, but done wrong and that this wasn't reayy my problem and that I had a bad exhust valve. We to make a long story short, I got new Head G's, valves redone, new timimg chain, water pump all new belts and hoses. He got it all back together, and it still had the miss. It is a long story, but I took it to another place, and they told me I had a bad injector. I had them replase it, and now she runs like a dream. I think the problem from day one was a bad injector, but I will never no. If I was you, rather then rebuild, I would look into a 3.4 engine. You will be glad you did.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sweetdiesel
My HG just took a dump on me this morning and I'm trying to figure out what I should do with the truck. It's a 93 4runner 3.0 auto with 187K on the clock. I just got the truck about 4 months ago in a trade for my 92 22re pickup.

What are my options for the HG repair? Cost wise is it better to get a rebuilt engine since mine has high mileage and there may be other things that go wrong with it down the line even after a HG repair? When I acquired the 4runner the PO said the AC needed to be recharged but turns out the compressor is missing so it going to cost a few bucks to get AC back. My thought is that a rebuilt engine would have an AC compressor?

Just don't know what to do at this point, I'm looking to you guys for some guidance.
I was in this situation a couple weeks ago. I ended up getting a motor from a wrecked 4runner. I made sure that it had good compression. Then I slapped her in there. I also made the swap to a manual transmission since my tranny was about to take a on me. I got the motor and tranny for $1200. I did look into re manufactured engines also, but eventually I do plan on doing a V8 swap. Re manufactured engines will not come with a A/C compressor. On that note I am selling a good working A/C compressor.

Here.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107...ressor-121332/
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 AM

What is the approximate cost of a 3.4 swap? I don't have the ability to do the work myself, so it would have to be done by a professional. Does the 3.4 swap also require a new transmission? A link to a swap thread would be a ton of help.

Kaleb I will probably pick up your compressor if I decide to stick with the 3.0. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM

I've been reading through the 3.4L swaps and it looks like it is going to be the best route for me since I plan on keeping this truck for at least another 5 years. The additional costs will be worth it in the long run. Now to find someone who can do it in the Bay Area.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 AM

FYI, I am doing an engine rebuild myself on my 3.0, and I am located in Berkeley. I have never done anything like this before, but there's a first time for everything, right? If I were you I'd just change the headgasket and then see what happens, especially if you try to do it yourself.

Last edited by runethechamp; 08-06-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM

I found some pricing on the 3.4l swap and it's in the neighborhood of $4K before labor. This is unfortunately out of my budget.

So I'm back to either doing the HG or getting a rebuilt engine. Rune, I'd try doing the HG myself but I highly doubt my mechanical abilities to do something this extensive. I also don't have the budget to re-fix the truck if I fudge the repair.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found some pricing on the 3.4l swap and it's in the neighborhood of $4K before labor. This is unfortunately out of my budget.

So I'm back to either doing the HG or getting a rebuilt engine. Rune, I'd try doing the HG myself but I highly doubt my mechanical abilities to do something this extensive. I also don't have the budget to re-fix the truck if I fudge the repair.
In your case, the HG will cost around 1k-1200.00 for a shop to do it for you.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned the recall for the head gasket, call the dealer and have them run your vin to check if the heads have ever been worked on search around and you will find some info on the recall.
it is best to know what you are asking about when talking to the dealer about the recall.
also we have had a few members who have had the recall done so you may be able to get some info from them.
best of luck
Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 AM

I checked on the HG campaign right after I got the truck and it was done about 5 years ago.

When doing the HG, is there any advantage to getting the AC fixed at the same time? Are there parts removed during the HG repair that will also have to be removed to install the AC compressor?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The standard technique is to leave the AC intact and not opehned when R&R the heads.

Thus doing AC while doing the heads really isnt a savings like say a water pump when doing a timing belt....

That being said if they have to R&R the evap or the drier, things are kina easier to get to...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's what I thought when I did my first top end. All you really need to know is how to use a wrench and have the ability to concentrate and think logically. But, I guess it would help if you also had tools.

The 3VZE HG repair has been covered several times on this forum and the steps are laid out rather well. Any in depth, technical knowledge...like machining, valve servicing, etc....can be left up to the professionals. In short, and in my opinion, it's just nuts and bolts and about like following a recipe. You're just following instructions, taking things off, having someone fixing what needs fixing, and putting everything back on with some new parts.

It's certainly up to you, though. If you want to save a lot of money (mainly in labor cost), I'd bet you could pull it off. Don't underestimate yourself. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd help you out and show you how truly easy it is. It's only intimidating because you've never done it before. BUT, if you have the money, then take it somewhere you can trust. Either way, there's a possibility you might be doing it, again. Unless the shop you go to is careful and not skipping steps, they could fugde the job, too. It's happened many times. I don't say that to scare you, just so that you are aware of it and try to make a good decision. I've made some bad ones myself. I had to rebuild the rebuild I bought because THEY fudged the job. And I'd never done it before, either!

HOWEVER, I've never priced a reman, so if you find that choice economically and more mentally feasible then do that. You'd still have to pay someone to removed and install, though.

NOTE:
My "rebuild" (not "reman'd"...done by private individual) cost me around $1350 shipping inlcuded
Removal of old and install of new came to $750
But, then I had to rebuild the top end meaning additional cost, but I saved a lot doing that labor myself.

Last edited by thook; 08-06-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by thook
That's what I thought when I did my first top end. All you really need to know is how to use a wrench and have the ability to concentrate and think logically. But, I guess it would help if you also had tools.

The 3VZE HG repair has been covered several times on this forum and the steps are laid out rather well. Any in depth, technical knowledge...like machining, valve servicing, etc....can be left up to the professionals. In short, and in my opinion, it's just nuts and bolts and about like following a recipe. You're just following instructions, taking things off, having someone fixing what needs fixing, and putting everything back on with some new parts.

It's certainly up to you, though. If you want to save a lot of money (mainly in labor cost), I'd bet you could pull it off. Don't underestimate yourself.
Good words right there. I have practically no engine experience and the most complicated thing I've done on my 4runner up until the rebuild Ihave started doing now is changing the boots on the cv joints, adding fog lights and putting on some downey rear coils. And before I did those my experience was more or less limited to changing brake pads. I have no power or air tools, a cheap Husky socket set supplemented by a couple of Craftsman pieces as needed (the breaker bar is a must). I was lucky and got to borrow an engine hoist and engine stand from a coworker, but you don't need those for a HG job. But I always trust my ability in figuring things out and following the FSM.

Hope it works out for you whatever path you choose.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM

I have been getting phone estimates to do the HG and they range from 1600 to 2500. The upper end of estimates includes doing a valve adjustment and replacement of a knock sensor? I have no idea if these two items need to be completed but even the lower end of 1600 is out of my budget. With a wife and two kids to feed I don't exactly budget for emergency car repairs such as this.

You guys have given enough encouraging words that I have decided to try this repair myself. I do have some hand tools, a socket set and wrenches. I'll need to pick up a breaker bar.

I know I have a lot of HG threads to read. I'll need to figure out everything needed and place an order online for the parts.

Thank you guys so much for the expert advice and tips, it is VERY MUCH appreciated.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM

I have been getting phone estimates to do the HG and they range from 1600 to 2500. The upper end of estimates includes doing a valve adjustment and replacement of a knock sensor? I have no idea if these two items need to be completed but even the lower end of 1600 is out of my budget. With a wife and two kids to feed I don't exactly budget for emergency car repairs such as this.

You guys have given enough encouraging words that I have decided to try this repair myself. I do have some hand tools, a socket set and wrenches. I'll need to pick up a breaker bar.

I know I have a lot of HG threads to read. I'll need to figure out everything needed and place an order online for the parts.

Thank you guys so much for the expert advice and tips, it is VERY MUCH appreciated.
If you ever wonder about something during the process, I am close by, and if you're lucky I might know the answer to yuor questions. My engine is coming out sometime this week and then I'll know a whole lot more
Old 08-06-2007, 05:38 PM

sorry to hijack

let's say that your truck has a bad headgasket and it hasn't been done with the recall. what are the chances of getting toyota to do it under the "campaign/recall"? can it be done?