Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

hey guys can anyone give advice on a cheap paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys can anyone give advice on a cheap paint job?

Hey fellas, I lucked up and got a heck of a deal on a 89 runner, I was thinking of painting it desert tan and black. The only problem is I don't know of any other product other than Krylon.(does that stuff last?) any info will be gratefully appreciated, Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in the process of rolling mine with Interlux Brightside yacht paint. You use a 4" high density foam roller and go to town. I've been very impressed with the results. You can see the progress in the link in my signature.

Go here to read more: http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM

man i bet that would take nine years to make my old runner look as good as that dart LOL
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM

what color are you rolling your truck?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Black gloss. Here is the first coat, so you know it won't take that long to look decent:

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM

i'd go rustolem if you had to go cheap. but don't forget you can never paint over with with a good quality automotive paint afterwards. the whole truck would need to be stripped of the oil based paint.

here is a prime example of what you can do.
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html
Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Man thats great looking!!! thats only your first coat? did you prep, reduce or thin paint, could I spray rustoleum or interlux ?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 PM

As dem0nk1d said, Rustoleum is definitely a lot cheaper. Takes more coats for coverage, with a lot more sanding, and it doesn't have some of the benefits of the Brightside paint (polyurethane, Teflon, etc). But it's also $40 for the Brightside/quart compared to like $7/qt. for Rustoleum.

Yes, you can spray both of them. You just need to thin the mix adequately per the instructions. I did lots of prep. Wet sanded the whole thing with 240 grit after fixing body issues. I'm on my third coat but I have 99% coverage already. I'm going to apply at least two more coats just because I have the paint, so why not.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM

being an automotive painter myself i would suggest RM DIAMONT paint with OMNI clear for cheap good quality finish. as far as the labor? dont know if your a do it yourselfer or what. spray paint or paint roller is easy but it aint gonna last or look near as good as a REAL paint job. if your goin with a solid color (black,white,red,blue) go with some single stage paint CLV (base and clear in one) ask your local paint store. or just go to macco lol whatever. good luck!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 008keith
being an automotive painter myself i would suggest RM DIAMONT paint with OMNI clear for cheap good quality finish. as far as the labor? dont know if your a do it yourselfer or what. spray paint or paint roller is easy but it aint gonna last or look near as good as a REAL paint job. if your goin with a solid color (black,white,red,blue) go with some single stage paint CLV (base and clear in one) ask your local paint store. or just go to macco lol whatever. good luck!
I too have heard good things about that combination. And yes, certainly it won't last as long or look as good as a professional paint job.

The kicker for me is cost and what your truck is worth. I have no plans to paint in the future, so the high upfront costs to buy an HPLV gun and compressor weren't reasonable. And, I didn't have a place to spray paint. On top of this, the paint itself is quite expensive.

In the end, I couldn't justify spending over $1k for good equipment to spray my truck, when I could roll it on and get very decent results for $100. I think this is why it's such a compelling argument to roll paint your vehicle. Especially when you consider how much it would cost to have a professional do it for you, upwards of $2k for a decent paint job.

I bit the bullet, went with the boat paint, and have been very impressed with its durability, gloss, and ease of application. All for $100.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM

I just painted mine this past weekend with Rustoleum proffesional grade. $30 for the gallon, and imho, it came out pretty nice. I'm waiting a couple of weeks to fully harden, and I'm going to wet sand probably with 1000 grit, and buff it all out to bring a good shine to it.

Monochrome, working on fishing boats for the last 10 years, that topside paint will last a long time as long as there is plenty of wax on it. If it dries out, it starts to get spider cracks in it, and you can only sand it off and repaint it. Looks great though.

Last edited by Skoalbandit; 11-11-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 AM

Truck looks great Monochrome. I did a Gloss White Rustoleum job on my truck last Summer.

You've got some serious talent for painting to make a roller job in black look that good. I guess I don't need to tell you to watch out for drips. I didn't as much as I should have, and a kinda groan to myself ever time I see them. Certain lighting conditions really bring them out. But I still don't feel like sanding them out, but I may eventually. It's a work in progress, I tell myself.

But I feel like I did several lifetimes worth of wet sanding already. I'll always remember wondering what the brownish red stuff was that started showing up in streaks on my white paint as I was sanding. It turned out to be blood from the blisters on my fingers from three straight days of wet sanding. I had to put on plastic gloves to keep blood off the paint.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 AM

I could paint my truck but its just to easy to touch up. I just used cans of autoprimer,like spray paint If you do this it will cost upwards of seventy dollars and most likely will not come out perfect. Color recomendation for this would be black, but if you like my grey, it looks cool when wet. If your body doesnt look good this is the way to go bc the flat primer will hide alot. This is just for my beater that i will intentionaly be putting on its side in ruts and stuff.

Last edited by The84toyota; 11-24-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 AM

** Shines flashlight on face **

"IN THE YEAR 3000"

All trucks will be painted flat primer gray.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM

thank guys for the info looks like i'm rolling mine with boat paint. I must say monochromes rig is bad a$$ I'm a little skeptical but i can always fix my mistakes later I'll post pic when i'm done
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:chant: RATTLE CAN... RATTLE CAN.. RATTLE CAN.. RATTLE CAN.. RATTLE CAN :chant:
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow. i just spent a half hour reading this roller paint website. i'm convinced. those cars look awesome.

so it takes 10 coats. with wetsanding every other. that's a lot of labor, but the money savings seems worth it. warm weather, hurry up back!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM

should spray painting a car with spray paint ever acceptable?? ive seen some cars with a flat black matte paint, what are you guys thought on that??
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by #1Grunt
Hey fellas, I lucked up and got a heck of a deal on a 89 runner, I was thinking of painting it desert tan and black. The only problem is I don't know of any other product other than Krylon.(does that stuff last?) any info will be gratefully appreciated, Thanks
I'm rattle canning my '87 4Runner Gloss Black with rustoleum.. Turnin out great, just a little wetsand and buff and the stuff looks like it came out of a gun... You just gotta spray it on thick.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yoder519
:chant: RATTLE CAN... RATTLE CAN.. RATTLE CAN.. RATTLE CAN.. RATTLE CAN :chant:
X2 Flat Black FTW!

Quick Reply: hey guys can anyone give advice on a cheap paint job?