Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Here's a new to me issue (timing related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a new to me issue (timing related)

I have a 92 4x4 22re 5spd. Was gonna check the timing before I take in for smog. The truck was warmed up and idling. I inserted the jumper from Te1 to E1 and there was no change in the idle. Past times it has always roughened the idle as it apparently should. I checked all the fuses and have no check engine light either (I even checked the bulb for the check engine light to be sure it was operational). Now I'm pretty sure that my distributor is off a tooth as it was at about 40* timing and turning it back all the way only brought it to 8* to which it ran like garbage at. I have noticed recently that the exhaust fumes are getting strong smelling and my gas mileage and power are diminishing. Funny thing is, the motor runs smooth as it is, no stumbles, smooth idle, no backfires, or anything. I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
If you have successfully jumpered Te1 to E1, then the CEL flashes evenly about 2x second. If you have no check engine light, the first thing to do is just turn the key. With key-on, engine-off, the CEL should be illuminated steadily. If that part works, the next thing I'd do is check that you've connected to the correct diagnostic terminals.

With Te1-E1 jumpered, the engine switches to BASE timing. Is that different than not-Base timing? It depends on temperature and other factors, so sometimes it is the same. In which case the timing (and rpm) doesn't change. (It should never run "rough" at base timing.)

Distributor gear: what setting are you trying to get to? If you are off a tooth, your range will be off by about 28 degrees.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:03 PM

Good info. Thank you. Whenever I get some time to go back home I will check all of this.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
The ecu won't go to base timing if the idle speed is too high.

It also won't go to base timing if the TPS is out of adjustment.

See to these things first.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
... It also won't go to base timing if the TPS is out of adjustment. ...
Interesting. Do you have a source for that? (other than 4crawler http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml)

There is nothing about that in the service manual, http://web.archive.org/web/201501160...e/64tuneup.pdf
Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
I've got the ultimate source for that: Personal experience.

Here's a thread that makes reference to it.

Thread pertains to a 3vz, but I saw the same on my '87 22re.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...iot-me-281226/
Old 11-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Thank you millball. I still have not gotten home yet, however your help will be useful once I get back to the truck.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:36 PM

I just had the same problem. After trying all kinds of crap for days, somebody told me to unplug the TPS. I did and my timing went right back to normal. No changes in idle when jumping is a good sign of a bad TPS. My timing was off by alot, so simply unplugging may not give you your answer. Unplug it and check the resistance on it. I don't remember the numbers, but they are easy to find if you Google it.