86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help uninstalling chapman security system

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help uninstalling chapman security system

I have a 93 4Runner 3.0 with a chapman security system. The systems has locked the vehicle down and will not let it start. I have pulled through all the wires under dash a cannot find a relay to bypass. I have already disconnected the siren so it would quit pissing my neighbors off. At this point I am at a loss of what to do with this system. Also when key is turned on I have power to everything but when you turn key it doesn't do anything. Starter checks out and battery is new and testing good. When key is on you can hear a clicking noise in center console not sure if that's related or not. Any advice would be much appreciated
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you gone through the systems recommended reset procedure?

Last edited by rworegon; 11-16-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I really gotta wonder first post is how do I disable my own alarm.

I am sure you can call the manufactures of the alarm once you prove it is your vehicle they will be glad to help you.

I could tell you but we don`t really know you now do we??
Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Have you gone through the systems recommended reset procedure?
Yes disconnect negative battery cable move key to acc position reconnect battery and vehicle should start. and the key fob I have is faulty the battery compartment rusted. I tried contacting chapman today but apparently they only make factory alarms now so they are pretty straight forward to disconnect. Not this jerry rigged crap I have run into
Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my wife and I were desperate for a vehicle we found a fairly decent van on Craigslist. Went to look at it and it was parked at a vacant house next door to the sellers house... couldn't have been more ghetto. Row houses... anyway... turned it on and the radio said "locked." So I pulled out my phone and Googled it. Sure enough that happens when it's stolen. We left immediately. Around the corner 20 something cops were hitting a house. Never been back to that area.

Anyway, talk to manufacturer /dealer. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Badger62811
When my wife and I were desperate for a vehicle we found a fairly decent van on Craigslist. Went to look at it and it was parked at a vacant house next door to the sellers house... couldn't have been more ghetto. Row houses... anyway... turned it on and the radio said "locked." So I pulled out my phone and Googled it. Sure enough that happens when it's stolen. We left immediately. Around the corner 20 something cops were hitting a house. Never been back to that area.

We bought the vehicle legally from a dealership as a wholesale deal
Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Can you find the actual alarm control unit? Can you get the wiring diagram from Chapman? A wire from the control unit (probably) goes to a non-Chapman-supplied relay. Just trace that wire. Don't be surprised if you're in for a lot of work; it wouldn't be a very good alarm installation if it was easy to bypass.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:59 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You'll need to find a copy of the starter circuit wiring diagram, get out your multimeter, and figure out where the alarm is interrupting the juice. It's not a complicated circuit, so it shouldn't be all that hard.

Check out the FSM manual sticky at the top of this forum. You can also go to the Toyota tech page (google for it) and for $15 get a 48 hour subscrpition to download all the FSM pages and full-color wiring diagrams you want.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I really gotta wonder first post is how do I disable my own alarm.

I am sure you can call the manufactures of the alarm once you prove it is your vehicle they will be glad to help you.

I could tell you but we don`t really know you now do we??
Originally Posted by Badger62811

Originally Posted by scope103
Can you find the actual alarm control unit? Can you get the wiring diagram from Chapman? A wire from the control unit (probably) goes to a non-Chapman-supplied relay. Just trace that wire. Don't be surprised if you're in for a lot of work; it wouldn't be a very good alarm installation if it was easy to bypass.
Was in the NC DMV waiting to register a vehicle. No crap car was recently purchased and stolen from another state. Cops called they got story and looked at DMV guy, "not for us to settle, car is now placed in computer." DMV guy says we can't register. Very sad guy with bill of sale left in his car.