Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help troubleshooting '91 22RE cruise control (vacuum switch?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help troubleshooting '91 22RE cruise control (vacuum switch?)

I've searched for the easy stuff first and looked over the FSM. The main switch activates and the "crusie" light comes on, the system just won't set and start maintaining speed. I checked the vacuum lines but am not sure how to test the vacuum switch. I've checked the clutch switch, and the brake switches. When running the "part A" diagnostics in the FSM, I see that the first two tests of the "set/coast" and "resume/accel" switches are blinking the way they are supposed to so now I'm stuck on step three which is testing the vacuum switch.
If someone could please explain this to me like i'm 5, that would be great. Or chime in with similar problems and fixes or any other insight. Maybe I'm overlooking something like the main relay or the CC ECU. Thank guys!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by turbowhine
I've searched for the easy stuff first and looked over the FSM. The main switch activates and the "crusie" light comes on, the system just won't set and start maintaining speed. I checked the vacuum lines but am not sure how to test the vacuum switch. I've checked the clutch switch, and the brake switches. When running the "part A" diagnostics in the FSM, I see that the first two tests of the "set/coast" and "resume/accel" switches are blinking the way they are supposed to so now I'm stuck on step three which is testing the vacuum switch.
If someone could please explain this to me like i'm 5, that would be great. Or chime in with similar problems and fixes or any other insight. Maybe I'm overlooking something like the main relay or the CC ECU. Thank guys!
From what ive read about this in the past here, one of the most common causes of the cruise control not working is because the diaphragm in the vacuum canister gets a hole in it (i don`t the correct name for this part, its mounted on the driver side fender). It can be repaired, there are threads here some were on how to do it.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you go with your cruise control? I've got the same problem I hope the vac canister repair is required cause at least that sounds easy