Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help! Starting Issue

Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Starting Issue

I went to start the truck today and all I get is what sounds like the relay cycling (soft click, not loud like solenoid). I figured it was a dead battery so I swapped in a new batt and the problem persists. I'm thinking bad Solenoid, any other opinions would be very helpful.

Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have you tried triggering the starter by jumping from the battery terminal (or the battery connection to the starter) to the start wire on the solenoid?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like the starter may be bad. If you have power to everything, and its strong power, you most likely have a starter issue. Take the starter out and take it to Schucks, or Autozone, and have them test it.

If it fails, get a new starter.

My recommendation for a starter would be New from Toyota, or used from a wrecking yard. Wrecking yard will be cheaper, Toyota will last a LONG time and you know its high quality.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by abecedarian
have you tried triggering the starter by jumping from the battery terminal (or the battery connection to the starter) to the start wire on the solenoid?
You can also do the same thing by jumping from the battery to one of the terminals on the cold start injector plug, so you don't have to reach down to the starter.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
You can also do the same thing by jumping from the battery to one of the terminals on the cold start injector plug, so you don't have to reach down to the starter.
true that.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:23 PM

also, may be an issue with the ignition switch not being able to supply sufficient current to the starter solenoid. In which case, either a new ignition switch or a relay installed to apply battery voltage to the starter may be required.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Staff

That is a possible problem, but not something I have ever seen be the cause in 7 years works at Nix99. The ignition switch itself never seems to fail in our trucks. The only reason we sell them is because Toyota trucks and 4Runners are popular with thieves.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:30 PM

just going to add this, and the post to back me up is here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post50971936 you may have to scroll up a few....

4Crawler has some notes on his site saying the same basic thing...
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/...l#OtherOptions

over time, the ignition switch will degrade and not be able to supply sufficient current to fully actuate the starter.

In a nutshell, the solenoid may click, but there's not enough current to make everything work.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-30-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM

That was the plan for the morning. I didn't know about the cold start injector plug however. If it is not the starter, relay, or solenoid. I'll check the ignition switch. The column cover is loose anyway so it will be easy access. Maybe I'll check that first....

Thanks for the solutions.

Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM

So I did a jumper from the power supply cable to the "Start Wire" on the Solenoid.

Basically got nothing....so out came my stiletto 14 ounce. Gave it a whack with the Jumper in place and she gave me some basic fizzling. I gave the Jump wire some wiggles, the hammer some swings and sure enough the solenoid let loose and began cranking the flywheel. I ran around and gave the ignition a try and it popped right off.

So even though I'm pretty sure the starter/solenoid is the issue. I know for SURE there is also a wiring issue here. The owner before the owner who I bought it form swapped the Turbo auto tranny for a NA 5spd. They kept the Turbo computer and did some sort of pig tailing near the starter to make everything work. This pig tailing involves heater extension cord!

I think my next step is to run through the entire electrical of this rig. I had planned to start dropping the body lift out, trimming the fenders, lengthening the up travel, and a dual case set up. But Before I even bother getting it "crawl worthy" i think I need to do a total rewire and get all the Ghosties out of my sparks.

Where do you all suggest I look for information on properly rewiring a 4Runner? I was thinking about picking up one of the Painless waterproof harnesses. Also, should I start looking for a computer out of a Turbo Runner or can the auto computer be modified "reliably" to work with my set up?

Cliffs Notes:
Got truck started with jumper from powersupply to solenoid. Starter is bad, but I seem to have major wiring problems, not just starter problems.

Owner before last owner did major HACK wiring job. They pigtailed the harness with Heater extension cord and twist caps to make auto Tranny comp work with NA 5sp. Needs to be fixed before I continue with my build up. Any advice on a total rewire of an 87 Turbo 4Runner with NA 5sp.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by 64-Hurricane; 12-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.