Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP?! Starter 2ndary wire?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP?! Starter 2ndary wire?!

Hey guys, just finished a head and gasket job on my '92 4Runner 22RE with lots of of help and searches from here. I'm a former Jeepguy with lots of experience with them, so this is just one of those frustrating and tough to even have to ask problems!! http://www.universityofjeep.ca/main.html (4th item down is my clutch slave invention)

Anyway, will have lots to offer hopefully to the Toy tech site once I get familiar with the truck. But for now I need to get the damn thing running.
Just finished head gasket replacement. Removed wiring harness from the intake manifold by unhooking everything from underneath the intake manifold and back to the tranny(5 speed) & oxy sensor and drew it up through the intake manifold . Buttoned everything back up and went as well as could be expected and was ready to turn the key. Now, I'm in Ontario Canada working in a garage tent so this was about a 3 week job. So when I turned the key to have dash lights come on but then a clicking starter was not a huge surprise. So I put a charger on the battery, with a good spark when I connected the negative clip to the battery. (sweet, low battery) But then I got impatient waiting for the small charger so yanked the batt and put in a fresh battery. Now here's where it gets weird. Put in the fresh battery and had absolutely no key actuated power. (still had door courtesy? lights, dome light) So discovered I blew the 80 amp ALT breaker in the fuse box on the passenger fender. hmph,,, how and why did that happen? So going to the junkyard tomorrow to get some spare parts for replacement. Finally getting to my question here though!! I noticed that on my starter just above the heavy gauge wire from the starter is a connector where the wire is broken off. I must assume this is the low amp current that activates the solenoid. It must have just broken off when I removed the harness from between the intake manifold but I CANNOT find a loose wire anywhere coming off of that harness?! Can someone please tell me where the F I can find it. The main harness comes from the fender to bolting onto the corner of the intake manifold. It then kind of branches to 3. Goes to the injectors, to the 4wd motor/oil sending unit, and to the back of the truck(tranny/T-case/oxygen sensor) Which even of those 3 would the starter be fed from?

VERY long winded, (painfull for me too as a 1 finger typist!) but I'm completely dead in the water here. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanx guys!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you just need to practice your typing

the harness goes over the lower intake then splits and a section goes down another section splits off of that with two wires, one for the oil pressure sensor and another for the starter. the rest of that lower section goes back to the transmission and O2 sensor. I think the starter wire is black with a yellow tracer. look closer and you should find it.

Oh and those simple typing instruction programs for kids are great for making you type better
Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Yep the missing wire is the one that activates the solenoid, truck wont start without that.It should be in the harness somewhere under the intake near the oil sender unless it got torn out. If it has a starter relay under the hood you could start tracing wires untill you find it or run a new one.

Last edited by 854x4; 12-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 AM

I have a 94 2.4 22r. Check the connector on the starter that the wire is hooked to. If you can wiggle it, the contact on the inside probably lost contact. My starter relay is in the fuse box on the passenger fender. I had the same problem except my starter contact inside the starter got stuck and the solenoid would not disengage and blew my fuseible link. Check your neutral safety switch also. To do a quick check, I used a remote starter, which bypassed neutral start switch, and relay. Just make sure you ground the coil wire before u do this. If no access to remote start switch there is another way but I would not recommend it, but I will tell u anyway. There might be a little wiring harness in your fuse box(under hood, pass side), Find the black wire with white stripe, put a piece of wire in the connector with the black and white wire, leave the other end open with the wire stripped. Now run another piece of wire off the + side of the battery again leave the other side open. Turn key to off position, disconnect coil wire and ground it, now touch the 2 open wires together and see if starter bumps. Like I said, this is not a good practice but if you feel comfortable enough then you will probably be ok.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 AM

It's gotta be there somewhere.

I looked it up, and it's black yellow on the auto trans and black white on the M/T
Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 AM

YEP!! AWESOME!! Found it, thanx guys!

NOW,,,,LOL (not really,,) ,,,, as it turns out,,,, the wire had broken off the connector at the starter,,, so when I hooked up the battery and turned the key,,,, well,, of course the wire wasn't just free-floating in the air.

So I've replaced the main 80amp ALT fuse, then the starter relay. (was burnt/stuck closed[constant power to starter]) and now I have no power to the coil or the injectors,,, is there a final protector (fuseable link) before a short can reach the ECM?

Either the ECM isn't getting power due to a blown fuse somewhere which is hopefully the case, or the ECM isn't putting power out.

Also, where IS the ECM? Behind the glovebox? Does the above sound like a pretty reasonable deduction? Of course I've checked all the obvious little push-in fuses.

Does anyone know where this fuseable link is located, and what it is protecting?

Sorry for the web-wrenching, I should be out there figuring this out for myself, but up here in London,Ontario,Canada it's snowing like a bitch right now!

Any help or suggestions at this point would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails HELP?!  Starter   2ndary wire?!-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by hodgi; 12-16-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 AM

Usually the fried stuff you are describing results from reversing the battery terminals. If so there is no telling what else may have been taken out

see if the check engine light comes on when you turn the key on. If not check the EFI fuse in the underhood fuse block
if you still can't get the check engine light to come on check the power and ground at the ECM

The ECM is located behind the right kick panel
Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Targetnut
Usually the fried stuff you are describing results from reversing the battery terminals. If so there is no telling what else may have been taken out

l
Yep, that's exactly what I did. The starter wire was sitting on something and shorting the whole time. Going out to check the ECM and anything else that is available to check/change under there. Thanx man.