Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help putting a w56 in to replace a g54

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help putting a w56 in to replace a g54

Hey everybody,

I've got a 1987 yota 4wd pickup with a 22r in it and the transmission lost 1st and 2nd gear. We didn't want to spend a lot of money to rebuild it so we started looking for used ones to put in it. Well, my dad bought one from a guy yesterday that said it came out of an 87 but he was unable to use it so he bought it. Turns out that I thought something was different about it but doing a little research, it seems to be a W56.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but the search really didn't help me out a whole lot. Is it possible to put this tranny into my truck and if so what will I need to do to make it work?

Also, it didn't come with the transfer case so I would have to reuse the one I have on my g54. It seems like I have read that it is possible since it should bolt up and then I read things will need to be changed?

I have no idea so I'm trying to figure out what all will need to be done to make it work and what will it cost to do? This transmission didn't come with the shifter so I guess we'll have to get one of them if we can even make the w56 work. I guess we should have researched a little better but we were just trying to find a deal on one to replace our broken unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.
Thank you,
Charlie
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of info on marlins board http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=756.0