Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help. No 5th or Reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. No 5th or Reverse.

1989 Toyota 3.0 4wd 5 speed.

I recently lost reverse in my truck but was still able to get in 5th but it was difficult. Now I have no 5th as well. Also I have a lot of play and the shifter can go all the way over the 4wd shifter. However 1-4 is perfectly fine except for a little play in shifter.

I believe based on research that it is the shifter seat and socket (bushing).
Does this sound correct?

Also I've worked on vehicles a lot but not a 5 speed yet. Truck is fairly new to me. I was thinking of getting a marlin crawler shifter seat and heavy duty socket (bushing).
Are these good or dhould i just go the NAPA way. Do I only need one bushing or should I get one for every gear? Sorry new to working on straight drives.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
1989 Toyota 3.0 4wd 5 speed.

I recently lost reverse in my truck but was still able to get in 5th but it was difficult. Now I have no 5th as well. Also I have a lot of play and the shifter can go all the way over the 4wd shifter. However 1-4 is perfectly fine except for a little play in shifter.

I believe based on research that it is the shifter seat and socket (bushing).
Does this sound correct?

Also I've worked on vehicles a lot but not a 5 speed yet. Truck is fairly new to me. I
was thinking of getting a marlin crawler shifter seat and heavy duty socket (bushing).
Are these good or dhould i just go the NAPA way. Do I only need one bushing or should I get one for every gear? Sorry new to working on straight drives.

The bushing is just for the seat where the shifter pivots in. Just pull the shifter assebly apart in the trck and have a look. Sounds like you have bigger problems then just shifter seat bushing. Shift fork broken.....